1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Reasons Al Jazeera should be carried in the US by its Director General

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Programming' started by sdk009, Feb 1, 2011.

1. Feb 1, 2011 #1 of 124
    sdk009

sdk009 Icon

Jan 19, 2007
    Kihei, Maui, HI
    http://www.huffingtonpost.com/wadah-khanfar/post_1656_b_816666.html

The above link leads to a reasoned plea for this channel to be carried by more carriers in the USA.
    "Some of the largest American cable and satellite providers have instituted corporate obstacles against Al Jazeera English" and "We know the demand is there. We have seen a 2000 percent increase in hits on our English-language website, and more than 60 percent of that traffic originates in the United States."

I hope this leads to the channel being carried full-time by D*.

2. Feb 1, 2011 #2 of 124
    hasan

hasan Well-Known Member

Sep 22, 2006
    Ogden, IA
    It would be very welcome here. Any country's news tends to be pedestrian, and getting different points of view (at their source) is informative. I've watched news from many countries, and the difference in perspective is enlightening, and often entertaining.

It's also at times, a rude awakening. News from any country is not to be trusted, rather digested. (ours or "theirs"):)

3. Feb 1, 2011 #3 of 124
    pablo

pablo Icon

Oct 11, 2007
    Would be wonderful, but the channel is stigmatized in the US, I think. Nevertheless, their reporting and coverage is transparent, objective, and comprehensive with no fluff that I've seen. Plain news, no opinion.

4. Feb 1, 2011 #4 of 124
    adamson

adamson Godfather

Nov 9, 2007
    Florida
    This channel never will be on Directv solely, I for one would boycott the move. How is it Bin Laden gets his recordings sent to them? They know exactly how and where from. I will refrain from how I truly feel because it would not be good and must not start flaming America's muddied melting pot.

5. Feb 1, 2011 #5 of 124
    Davenlr

Davenlr Geek til I die

Sep 16, 2006
    You think if he mailed a tape to the New York Times, or Fox News they would throw it in the trash? News is news. I would guess Bin Laden sends it to Al Jazeera because they have news bureaus in those countries he frequents, and is the only worldwide outlet. I doubt he would send his couriers to Britains BBC office.

And you better start your boycott. Its already on Directv on Free Speech TV every night for an hour.

6. Feb 1, 2011 #6 of 124
    adamson

adamson Godfather

Nov 9, 2007
    Florida
    It would be intercepted by the postal service before it got to anybody on our own soil. Al Jazeera is a puppet for terrorists and I do not support them at all.

7. Feb 1, 2011 #7 of 124
    Davenlr

Davenlr Geek til I die

Sep 16, 2006
    If you watched it, would would know that statement is patently untrue.

8. Feb 1, 2011 #8 of 124
    pablo

pablo Icon

Oct 11, 2007
    That is absolutely false.

9. Feb 2, 2011 #9 of 124
    BigRedFan

BigRedFan Legend

Mar 28, 2010
    Totally agree.... Al-Jazeera English was set up mostly by journalists and executives who had worked at BBC News, CNN International and CNN en Espanol.... Their coverage of world news is more comprehensive than anything found on the domestic USA news channels (CNN, FOX News, MSNBC) combined ....Only BBC World News on BBC America and PBS offers as much comprehensive world coverage...

I have watched LINK-TV (Ch. 375) more than ever over the last week due to their extended LIVE simulcast of Al-Jazeera English ...

I would gladly pay DirecTV or DISH for a premium package of international news channels--- BBC World News, Al-Jazeera English, SKY News, ITN-London, CBC International, CNN International, EuroNews, France24 News, Deutsche-Welle English, SCOLA, Russia Today (RT), etc...

We get dozens of infomercial and shopping channels but cannot view even one of the international news channels (even a la carte) which happen to be offered in most cable/satellite systems and hotels around the world....What does this say about the "democracy" of our video distribution sources ???

10. Feb 2, 2011 #10 of 124
    Davenlr

Davenlr Geek til I die

Sep 16, 2006
    Even when there isnt a MAJOR story like Egypt going on, Al Jazeera is the only station I get (via FTA or internet) that I can find out what is going on in the world without having to listen to Obama this, Republican That, Democrat this, Congress that. The US 24 hour news networks have so much gone to politics, that you cannot find any real news on them, unless its a story that goes on for days or weeks like an Earthquake or the like.

Al Jazeera reports on all the world news, even if its not sensational. They do have their "commentary" type shows, which arent named to confuse you into thinking you are watching the news when you arent. They do not kiss the United States butt, however, they dont kiss any countries butt either.

I believe the only reason it is not available on mainstream media outlets in the US is companies are afraid to add it because it has an Arab name. People in this country seem to assume anything Arab = Muslim militants, and they prejudice this News organization offhand without ever watching it.

I find the diatribe on Fox News (right) and MSNBC (left) much more obnoxious than the real news I have watched on Al Jazeera.

11. Feb 2, 2011 #11 of 124
    BigRedFan

BigRedFan Legend

Mar 28, 2010
    Very well said !.... Anyone who actually sits down to watch more than a minute of Al Jazeera English will quickly realize this ain't Bin Laden's News Channel.... And will learn more about world affairs in one half hour newscast of AJE than can be found in a week's worth of "news" coverage on the USA domestic news channels....

12. Feb 2, 2011 #12 of 124
    djanis3

djanis3 Cool Member

Aug 15, 2006
    He has no choice. It's just like Netflix. He's recorded message DVDs are returned to the nearest network news distribution center (which just happens to be Qatar) in the postage-paid return envelope. Then, the next movie in his queue (i.e. Toy Story 3) is then automatically sent to his cave. The best part is that if a message is ever lost in transit or won't play on his player (inability to update firmware), it is quickly replaced/exchanged. Until they get the streaming rights to jihad messages, it really is the most efficient way.

13. Feb 2, 2011 #13 of 124
    RMichals

RMichals Legend

Sep 27, 2008
    Here, here, both directv and dish are too backwards to realize this, capitalize on this, and actually carry any non commercial news channels. It is probably even stipulated by CNN, MSNBC and Fox news because they see it as a threat. Over the last year AJ-English has had excellent coverage of the crisis in Haiti, the earthquake in Chile, The trapped miners in Chile and then Australia, the first and second round elections in Brasil, and they carry stories like the cyclone hitting Australia right now that the big 3 American cable news outlets completely ignore in favor of the white noise they are putting out there. So it makes you wonder why exactly does all news, that is fit to be news, in the U.S. have to be so U.S. centric, and homogenized down for a domestic audience, which is not even given all the info they should be given, in order to use their head and judge for themselves.

14. Feb 2, 2011 #14 of 124
    wilbur_the_goose

wilbur_the_goose Hall Of Fame

Aug 16, 2006
    I'd pay for this too. Happily.

15. Feb 2, 2011 #15 of 124
    Davenlr

Davenlr Geek til I die

Sep 16, 2006
    Currently LIVE on AJE, pro govt supporters in Egypt rushing anti-govt crowds in the square riding horses and camels. Crowd pulling them off horses and camels, and beating them in the street. Cameraman trampled by horse, one reporter stabbed.
    Army standing by watching and taking no action.

Live reporters on the front line reporting back. Quite unreal. Democracy by sticks and stones.

16. Feb 2, 2011 #16 of 124
    sigma1914

sigma1914 Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

Sep 5, 2006
    Allen, TX
    I'm watching, too. It's wild!

17. Feb 2, 2011 #17 of 124
    jdh8668

jdh8668 Legend

Nov 7, 2007
    I agree 100%!

18. Feb 2, 2011 #18 of 124
    sigma1914

sigma1914 Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

Sep 5, 2006
    Allen, TX
    Again, as Davenl said, "If you watched it, would would know that statement is patently untrue."

19. Feb 2, 2011 #19 of 124
    Nick

Nick Retired, part-time PITA DBSTalk Club

Apr 23, 2002
    The...
    It's worse than you thought.

From MediaBiz:
    Source: http://mediabiz.com/

20. Feb 2, 2011 #20 of 124
    RMichals

RMichals Legend

Sep 27, 2008
    This is a typical counter revolutionary tactic used by the thugs in the corrupt police force to hold on and stop the real revolution, so far thugs have been found dressed in civilian clothes with police IDs instigating the peaceful demonstrators. All of a sudden after a whole week there are pro mubarek, get real, all planned by the dictator.