1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

Reboot Genie (HR34)

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by mamoth, Mar 3, 2013.

1. Mar 3, 2013 #1 of 14
    mamoth

mamoth Cool Member

Feb 12, 2013
    I'm curious if others are having similar issues with their Genie. Basically, every week I am rebooting the Genie. Some of the issues I've seen is that all rooms (except the one with the Genie) were very slow to respond.

Another, happened last night, where the remote rooms showed a grey screen.

Both of those, I rebooted the Genie and it fixed the issues. Ever since we got the Genie, I'm rebooting about every week to fix some "odd" type issue.

2. Mar 4, 2013 #2 of 14
    Guindalf

Guindalf Legend

Nov 19, 2005
    Does everything have a static IP address? The problems you are describing sound like they do not and are being assigned by DHCP.

I had a similar problem when I first got my HR34. I only have one other box, an HR22 in the bedroom, and it would regularly not see the programs on the other DVR. It was solved by changing to static IPs on both boxes and I haven't had an issue since.

3. Mar 4, 2013 #3 of 14
    bready

bready Cool Member

Dec 18, 2006
    I have been having the same problem. I called last week and they played ignorant of the problem, and told me to call back when it is locked up. I hope it is a software issue and that they get it fixed soon.

4. Mar 4, 2013 #4 of 14
    CCarncross

CCarncross Hall Of Fame

Jul 19, 2005
    Jackson
    I reboot all 3 of my DVR's every weekend and never have any issues. I treat these like PC's, others dont.

5. Mar 4, 2013 #5 of 14
    mamoth

mamoth Cool Member

Feb 12, 2013
    Yea, I figured I would do this as well. But seems pretty silly. Even PCs now-a-days (Windows 7/8/Linux) don't need that type of reboot schedule.

6. Mar 4, 2013 #6 of 14
    CCarncross

CCarncross Hall Of Fame

Jul 19, 2005
    Jackson
    I dont leave any of my desktops on anymore...unless I forget. Just for the heat and power consumption alone....so mine are usually rebooted almost every day anyway.

7. Mar 5, 2013 #7 of 14
    employee3

employee3 Legend

Aug 15, 2006
    Same issues with my HR34. I have multiple HR24s, HR21 and even an old HR20 which never lockup. The HR34 will lose network (while watching a program from it on an HR24). Static IP is there. Other times the HDMI will sync to my TV at 30Hhz with no sound. Sometimes SUPER slow where it won't even play programs locally.

Red button reboot is all that will fix it. None of my other boxes exhibit this kind of behavior.

8. Mar 5, 2013 #8 of 14
    dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    I believe Dish still reboots their boxes nightly.

9. Mar 5, 2013 #9 of 14
    CCarncross

CCarncross Hall Of Fame

Jul 19, 2005
    Jackson
    I believe you are correct. The only difference is they do it automatically. I wish the Directv receivers rebooted automatically say once a month during an idle time with at least 15 minutes or so of time before the next program began recording.

10. Datagg

Datagg Legend

May 17, 2009
    Mesa, AZ
    Heard that run around for a month plus. They are great at dodging the facts and passing the buck. Final words was cancel, then they perk up.... It's the blind leading the blind over there.

11. mamoth

mamoth Cool Member

Feb 12, 2013
    Better yet... let me choose when it reboots. And nothing records overlapping that timeframe. Replaced my TiVo's that I rebooted about twice a year.

12. adam1115

adam1115 Godfather

Dec 16, 2003
    Yup.

13. usnret

usnret Icon

Jan 16, 2009
    Was just in the "to do" area of my HR34 and it again locked up. No response whatsoever from my remote. 2nd time in 5 weeks. Only fix was a RBR.

14. wingrider01

wingrider01 Hall Of Fame

Sep 9, 2005
    Weird problem that started yesterday with a lockup on the HR34, still running the previous version of the software. The picture locked up on the screen but can still hear the dialog (live TV not a recording), had to do a RBR, system restarted went through all it's procedures came right back to the locked video with the dialog in the background.

Tried a different HDMI port, different HDMI cable and checked the port with the PS3 and it worked. OTA works also that is not run through a AM21.

Hopefully someone has a suggestion, or when I get home from work today will end up making a call to protection plan people