1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Reboot Problem

Discussion in 'Hopper System Support Forum' started by neilo, Jan 3, 2017.

1. neilo

neilo AllStar

Aug 7, 2006
    Maryland
    My Hopper has been rebooting right in the middle of playback of some recordings. It says it is about 86% full. Is there anything I can do about this? Some diagnostics I can run on the machine?

It is a Hopper w Sling.

Thanks.

2. neilo

neilo AllStar

Aug 7, 2006
    Maryland
    I called Technical Support. After several attempts to watch one of the problematic recordings and plugging it directly into the wall and trying again, she said they will be sending out a replacement receiver. Apparently I should be able to transfer recordings via an ethernet cable. I hope the person knows what she is talking there.

3. neilo

neilo AllStar

Aug 7, 2006
    Maryland
  4. neilo

neilo AllStar

Aug 7, 2006
    Maryland
    The setup went okay, though the Joey is taking ages to get updated to the new Hooper w sling info.

I started transferring at about Noon today. Unfortunately, there is no progress indicator and technical support didn't give me any information about that.

Last edited: Jan 7, 2017
  5. neilo

neilo AllStar

Aug 7, 2006
    Maryland
    I called technical support again today and they said that both Hoppers need to have the new menu system in order to be able to transfer between the two of them. So, I need to get an external hard drive to transfer the old programs. Apparently it is only guaranteed to work if the hard drive has external power as well.

Meanwhile, the Joey refused to update until I simultaneously unplugged both the Hopper and the Joey and then plugged them back again. It is now working appropriately with the new Hopper.

6. neilo

neilo AllStar

Aug 7, 2006
    Maryland
    Due to the 2 TB limit on a powered external hard drive I needed to get a new one for my PC, transferred the files off of an old one and then started using that old one with the old Hopper. It seemed to format okay and then I started transferring files to it. My first attempt failed as the old Hopper rebooted during the transfer. So, the rebooting problem is going to make it difficult to transfer all the programs. I then started with a smaller grouping of recordings and transferred three groups. I then called support and told them that because of my problem the odds are that I won't be able to return it within 10 days of receiving the new one. They said that would be okay.

7. neilo

neilo AllStar

Aug 7, 2006
    Maryland
    The transfer of recordings to the external hard drive has been going well for the most part. I have had some problems, but most of the attempts appear to be successful. My old Hopper is now only 55% full, so that is progress. I have transferred a couple recordings to the new Hopper and it looks like they play okay. We'll be watching one tonight. The new Hopper also looks like it can play the recordings straight off of the external hard drive (contrary to what one tech support person told me). So, I'll probably keep most of the recordings on the external hard drive and only copy over as needed.

8. neilo

neilo AllStar

Aug 7, 2006
    Maryland
    Transferred all the programs that I could (there were a couple of programs that could not make it off). I needed to reconnect the old Hopper to the Dish to get the correct date on the machine (it had reset to 6/29) so that the Prime Time Anytime recordings would get moved to the My Recordings area. Then I was able to transfer them.

I've now dropped the old Hopper at the UPS Store.

9. neilo

neilo AllStar

Aug 7, 2006
    Maryland
    I got the notice from UPS that it arrived and then an email from Dish that they have the old Hopper. So, this whole ordeal is done. I have ended up with a whole bunch of programs on an external hard drive that I can access at my leisure and a newer Hopper that has plenty of space.