1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

Rebranding Nomad to GenieGO

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by goinsleeper, Apr 19, 2013.

1. goinsleeper

goinsleeper Godfather

May 22, 2012
    This is just a heads up. Expected date is May 6 and the Nomad will be no more. It's being rebranded to the GenieGO and will allow for in-home streaming of any programs on the GenieGO. This would be a weak reason to rebrand but expected future updates are aimed at allowing out-of-home streaming of your recorded programs. Price is expected to remain the same.

1 person likes this.
  2. goinsleeper

goinsleeper Godfather

May 22, 2012
    Any Mod, if this needs to be moved to the "Connected Home" area, please do so.

3. TheRatPatrol

TheRatPatrol Hall Of Fame

Oct 1, 2003
    Phoenix, AZ
    Are they going to fix it so we can stream sports?

4. trh

trh This Space for Sale

Nov 2, 2007
    NE FL
    or more specifically, out-of-market sports that we pay for with ST, CI, LP or EI.

5. Diana C

Diana C Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Mar 30, 2007
    New Jersey
    That implies it is broken...which I don't believe is the case.

6. trh

trh This Space for Sale

Nov 2, 2007
    NE FL
    Broken? No. But when DirecTV listed shows that the Nomad couldn't watch on a mobile device, they failed mention that out-of-market sports are considered PPV.

7. TheRatPatrol

Oct 1, 2003
    Phoenix, AZ
    I can't even stream my RSN here.

8. Volatility

Volatility Legend

May 22, 2010
    They are hoping the name change is going to increase sells as the nomad sales were less than they expected, though I believe that had to do more with them not really pushing the product as hard as they could have. We'll see I guess.

9. RAD

RAD DIRECTV A-Team

Aug 5, 2002
    Dripping...
    Might also help if they finally came out with a Andriod app. Could also help if they said the iPhone app will also work on iPads vs. the app coming soon info, that might make some folks think it won't work.

10. trh

trh This Space for Sale

Nov 2, 2007
    NE FL
    According to the CSR from Ellen's Office, it is only out-of-market games that you can't view/transcode via a nomad. I'm watching a ball game from my RSN right now on my nomad.

11. TheRatPatrol

Oct 1, 2003
    Phoenix, AZ
    I can't seem to stream any sports here.

It might also help if they lowered they price to say $99.

12. trh

trh This Space for Sale

Nov 2, 2007
    NE FL
    They also need to fix some of the bugs with the software (like if you change your DirecTV password, you have to uninstall and reinstall the nomad PC client software to enter your new password on the PC).

13. peds48

peds48 DIRECTV A-Team DBSTalk Club

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    Not really. all you need to do is to "turn on" clear log in @ start up on the directv settings.app. This will ask you for your info again at the next start up of the app.

*Edit, ooops. Just realized this works only for JB'ed iPhones.

14. trh

trh This Space for Sale

Nov 2, 2007
    NE FL
    I don't see that clear log anywhere in the PC client software. Where can I find it?

Also, please pass this on to the Nomad/Case Management Group -- because uninstalling/reinstalling is their solution to this issue.

15. trh

trh This Space for Sale

Nov 2, 2007
    NE FL
    Just saw your edit.

What is 'weird' is that this only impacts my PC. When I change my password at DirecTV, there is no impact on my iPhone or iPad; I am never asked for my new password or, like my PC, it stops working until I uninstall/reinstall and enter the new password.

16. hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001 DIRECTV A-Team

Jul 28, 2004
    Interesting....and sounds quite likely. It also explains the lengthy delays in recent months between updates. Hopefully May 6 will also include the official Android client as well - that's a very long time overdue.

17. Volatility

Volatility Legend

May 22, 2010
    I would of thought the price would have come down by now as stated earlier, it hasn't been selling as usually when demand is low price drops. But it makes sense to me now why it is still the same amount if they have been planning this geniego thing.

18. AntAltMike

AntAltMike Hall Of Fame

Nov 20, 2004
    College...
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

19. goinsleeper

goinsleeper Godfather

May 22, 2012
    Android app is "Coming soon" and they have no estimated dates on its release. No word on the sports availability. It was said that the Protection Plan Upgrade would qualify for a free GenieGo for those who do not care to get a receiver upgrade, though I question that. I hate how vague all the information is, but what can you do?

20. trh

trh This Space for Sale

Nov 2, 2007
    NE FL
    What do you mean by this part of your post?