1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Receiver add=contract renew?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Installation/MDU Discussion' started by justsam, Sep 10, 2013.

1. justsam

justsam New Member

Sep 21, 2012
    I would like to add a receiver to my existing SWM system, however I am not anxious to renew my contract if that is the end result.

I am not currently under contract, and recently had a less than stellar experience when trying to get a failed STB replaced, so I am weary. I am also considering Comcast in order to get a faster internet and would go to some form of package deal. I certainly do not consider Comcast an upgrade regarding video service, but more an economic play and improved internet.

So, if I purchase the receiver from Solid Signal or the like, and just have DTV activate the unit, does that result in contract renewal? I know they will get to keep the receiver if I terminate.

2. harsh

harsh Beware the Attack Basset

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    Yes.

Whether you get it from a retailer or DIRECTV themselves, adding a receiver will win you a new commitment.

3. sigma1914

sigma1914 Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

Sep 5, 2006
    Allen, TX
    You can buy an owned unit here or ebay. Call DirecTV access card department to verify the RID is owned ... no contract renewal then.

1 person likes this.
  4. peds48

peds48 Genius. DBSTalk Club

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    Yup, only way to avoid contract is to buy "owned" receivers

5. The Merg

The Merg 1*

Jun 24, 2007
    Northern VA
    You can buy an owned unit here or ebay. Call DirecTV access card department to verify the RID is owned ... no contract renewal then.

Also be sure to contact the Access Card Team when you activate the receiver.

- Merg

Sent from my iPad using DBSTalk mobile app

6. Jeetyet

Jeetyet New Member

Mar 13, 2012
    What if you do everything exactly as described here by verifying the RIDs with the Access Card Dept and all is okay to go (verified was owned receivers and could be activated on my account with no 2 yr committment), then, after you've purchased and received the receivers, you call them back to get cards and they NOW say that no, the receivers aren't owned but leased and can't be added to my account? Are there any options? Right now, I'm madder than a squushed cat!

7. gov

gov Legend

Jan 11, 2013
    Hmm,

familiar with the pay TV industry, this one is . . .

:eek2:

8. peds48

peds48 Genius. DBSTalk Club

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    call DirecTV again. and if the receiver is truly leased, you should get your mont back from the seller.

9. Phil17108

Phil17108 Mentor

Apr 10, 2010
    Orange...
    Here's the deal with D. If you are out of contract is easy to get them to do things like give you that new DVR without paying a leasing fee or other freebe's. A trick I have learned is to go to there website and put the thing in the shopping cart and see the price. I have done that twice and ended up with a free DVR and a second dish on my man cave that is tied in the whole home with cat 6 and I was at the time going to pay for it. That did put me into a new 2 year contract but what do I care if I get what I want. The second time was even better I got the new HR44 and a client to replace 2 of the old DVR's with new, for FREE. I discovered at the time that was because we have there 6 buck a month service contract. That contract is worth it to me, I used to do all my own service work and would redo there installs to keep everything out of site, but now I do not need to and my wife does not want me in the attic any more. My most resent experience with them started with the phone call and did not have to go through do this BS that the service operators have to read from a list, gave them an error code and had a services tech there the next day. He replaced a SWM 8 with a 16 and replaced the STB with a new one. That 6 bucks a month is really a legal bribe but it sure greases the slides.