1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Receiver deals. Anyone able to get a free HD-DVR?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by SatNoob, May 19, 2009.

1. SatNoob

SatNoob Legend

Aug 16, 2007
    I see receivers are on sale free SD, free SD-DVR, free HD, $99 HD-DVR.

Has anyone called in to replace an owned unit and gotten a free HD-DVR?

I know it's a long shot but I'm considering calling and asking. Just curious if anyone else has scored a good deal like this lately.

I'm a 5yr subscriber now with 5 receivers so that might help?

2. idigg

idigg Legend

May 8, 2008
    I got both my HD-DVR's for free, 5 finga discount y0

3. Mike Bertelson

Mike Bertelson 6EQUJ5 WOW! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Jan 24, 2007
    Short of theft, all you can do is call DirecTV and discuss it with them.

I'm pretty sure that "deals" are no longer the standard but that doesn't mean they wouldn't be willing to work with you.

Mike

4. harsh

harsh Beware the Attack Basset

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    If all of your receivers are modern, chances are very slim.

You would need to rank among their best customers (spendy package and always paying on time) to merit consideration.

5. boba

boba Hall Of Fame

May 23, 2003
    You aren't me, you aren't Tom, You aren't Dick and you aren't Harry. The offers for you are offers for YOU and you will have to call D* to see what their offer for you is.:):):)

6. Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet The Shadow Knows!

Jun 18, 2006
    I'm not sure how much of that is English, but apparently one way to interpret that post is that you stole them. Are you really saying in an open forum that you committed a felony?

7. RCY

RCY Godfather

Nov 16, 2005
    Don't know what sale you are refering to...I log on to my D* account and don't see any of the "deals" you mention. Mine still shows $199 for a HD-DVR. (which is pretty silly when I can get one for $169 from Costco)

I think you're already getting a "deal" with a $99 HD-DVR.

8. Tallgntlmn

Tallgntlmn Icon

Jun 7, 2007
    Raleigh, NC
    It took a couple phone calls but I got a HR22 for free. Of course, my receiver was a SD-DVR40 D-TiVo which the commitment had run out 3 years prior. So now I've got both a new receiver and a new contract.

When I say it took a couple calls, I mean literally. And no, I didn't go to retention. I really wanted to know what D* could do for me versus what Comcast could do.

9. Tallgntlmn

Tallgntlmn Icon

Jun 7, 2007
    Raleigh, NC
    I guess it could be interpreted that it took 1 call per finga. So five calls before he got the discount, therefore considering it 5 finga, y0. LOL!

10. SatNoob

SatNoob Legend

Aug 16, 2007
    haha yes! I guess it's just us elite customers :lol:

I called in and got my HD-DVR for free weee.

Ok for my broken english celebration of the day:

"I r is and will be for happier yay".

DirecTV loves me, and I love them.

11. Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet The Shadow Knows!

Jun 18, 2006
    I simply must go out and get one of those "fingas." They seem quite useful. Are they like Rottweilers?

12. Mike Bertelson

Jan 24, 2007
    I'm glad it worked out.

Just goes to show that if you call, be calm, state your position, and be flexible you never know how it might work out. :D

Mike

13. Mike Bertelson

Jan 24, 2007
    Apparently, you'll need a complete set of five to make any use of them. :D

14. SatNoob

SatNoob Legend

Aug 16, 2007
    Well the first thing I said was "I'd like to replace a receiver" the tech woman said I was in luck and qualified for their valued customers program and was offered a HD-DVR for $0.

I think this is how they're phasing out us customers with owned units. I still have some D-tivos I own that aren't leased so that's probably why I qualify when others do not since they likely have leased newer models already under contract.

15. onan38

onan38 Legend

Jul 17, 2008
    five finger discount
    noun five finger discount

1. (slang)(euphemism) the act of shoplifting, petty theft.

OH gosh buffy he is speaking of theft!

16. SatNoob

SatNoob Legend

Aug 16, 2007
    I witnessed some teenagers take a dish network dish from an old guys porch roof tear the arm off and use it as a sled for a massive snow sled hill down the road.

Yes I turned them in I'm a party pooper :p

17. William1

William1 Mentor

May 11, 2009
    I got my HD DVR for just the shipping charges of $19.95 and a year of DVR service for free. Long time customer.

18. harsh

harsh Beware the Attack Basset

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    It is important that reports of various successes be accompanied by the time that the deal was struck. People who got deals more than a few months ago were dealing with a different company mindset that has changed noticably with the new board of directors.

19. joshjr

joshjr Hall Of Fame

Aug 2, 2008
    NE Oklahoma
    If I understood them right the other day when I called it went something like if I add a Tivo HD DVR 10-250 to my account its an owned unit that transfer in under the protection plan. If it goes out then I trade it in for a leased unit that does not come with a up front lease fee or any kind of contract extension. You might of been better off to wait until the unitl quit but then again maybe not if you were wanting to upgrade to HD anyways.

20. KC2LLW

KC2LLW AllStar

Jul 25, 2008
    I have two coming Saturday $150.00 off I guess that's better than nothing.