1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

Receiver dropping off network

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Connected Home' started by tbolt, Mar 21, 2013.

1. tbolt

tbolt Legend

Aug 22, 2009
    The Basement receiver (HR20-700) started dropping off network.
    a couple of times a week just in the last 2 months..

Swim with DECA network to all receivers (HR24 built-in of course)

Other receivers are HR21 and HR24.

My Router/Modem is a Q1000 Century Link
    DHCP Settings are
    Modem IP Address: 192.168.0.1
    Beginning IP Address: 192.168.0.2
    Ending IP Address: 192.168.0.254
    Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0

So, my question is how do I set three different receivers outside of
    the DHCP range and give them Static IPs given my setup?

What IP address(es) should I set them to?

2. tbolt

tbolt Legend

Aug 22, 2009
    I changed the top end of the DHCP range to .200

Then changed receiver network setup to .201, .202 and .203
    it's working now.

From another thread:
    So to kind of sum up what looks to be the "simple" way so far:

look at what the receiver pulls off the router while using DHCP.

if you see xxx.64 [or higher] or xxx.100 [or higher] then select ones below, say in the xxx.040 range.

If you see xxx.033 [or higher] select ones below, say in the xxx.010 or 020 range.

If you're looking at a netgear and see xxx.00x [or higher], then you will need to have "someone" manage the router and log in to change the default DHCP pool.
    Either raise the starting IP or lower the ending IP, to create a range of IPs for the receivers to use that are outside of the modified DHCP server pool.

Thanks, VOS..

3. RunnerFL

RunnerFL DIRECTV A-Team

Jan 4, 2006
    You could also setup static IP's, which I do, or DHCP reservations, which others do.

4. jdspencer

jdspencer Hall Of Fame

Nov 7, 2003
    As to assigning IP addresses, I set the last octet to the model number of the receiver.
    Then when looking at the router settings it's easy to see each receiver's status.
    I also give each receiver a similar name for MRV.

5. HoTat2

HoTat2 Hall Of Fame

Nov 16, 2005
    Los...
    I take it you are referring to the last three digits of the model number or the manufacturers' ID? I guess that's a pretty good idea, but would be problematic for many since I imagine a lot of subs have multiple receivers with the same model numbers. I have two HR22-100s myself :)

I personally use static IPs for five DVRs (one an HR34) here with IPs manually assigned outside and below my router's DHCP range which thereby don't show up in the router's web utility for connected LAN clients.

So I use Cisco's Network Magic Pro app installed on a local PC to label the receivers and monitor their connection status.

6. CCarncross

CCarncross Hall Of Fame

Jul 19, 2005
    Jackson
    As long as you only have one of each model or make that would work fine. I have two HR22-100's, so its not possible. I use static addressees outside of my home networks dhcp scope but obviously still in my IP schema.

7. jdspencer

jdspencer Hall Of Fame

Nov 7, 2003
    FYI to those with a similar problem. Recently, my HR24 started to drop off the unsupported network. A restart fixed it for a few days. Then, it did it again. This time I also noticed that my WD TV Plus wasn't connecting either and after testing the Samsung TV it also wasn't connected. My HR23 in another room was fine. It then dawned on me that the Linksys 10/100 ethernet switch being used by the DVR, WD, and TV had failed. Replaced it (also LInksys) and all is now well. This was the first time that an ethernet switch had failed on me.

If yiou have two or more DVR with the same model number then I'd just append a 1 or 2 what ever to the last IP octet.

As an example it would be in my case 192.168.254.241 and 192.168.254.242 if I had two HR24's.