1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Receiver goes into screen saver mode problems

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by bhigh8, Jan 18, 2012.

1. bhigh8

bhigh8 Legend

Oct 4, 2006
    Im sure im not the only one with this issue since all my receivers do this. when i either pause a recording or live show and it goes to the screen saver mode, the screen locks up and the only thing i can do is turn off the tv and turn it back on for the receiver to respond.

It also does this when on the music channels and the screen saver comes on.

Is there anything a person can do to fix this. it is very annoying and it happens on all my HD DVRs.

Thanks

2. ndole

ndole Problem Solver

Aug 26, 2009
    Your Directv receivers are unresponsive? And an OFF/ON of your tv's resolve it? What type of receiver's do you have? Are all of your tv's the same make and model? How are they connected?

3. BobStokesbary

BobStokesbary Legend

Oct 24, 2010
    What kind of DVRs do you have? I certainly do not have the problem you describe with my HR24s. Just 2 presses on the remote black button and things are running normally again for me.

4. makaiguy

makaiguy Icon DBSTalk Club

Sep 24, 2007
    Aiken, SC
    Have never seen this here. Are all receivers attached to the same TV, or maybe the same model TV?

Having to turn the TV off/on sounds like the problem is at the TV's end of things, or perhaps in the HDMI negotiation between TV and receiver. Anything else in the middle like an amplifier, splitter, or switch?

5. harsh

harsh Beware the Attack Basset

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    Or, heaven forbid, the receiver is running off a switched outlet.

6. samrs

samrs MANC

May 30, 2004
    Flat Branch, NC
    When the screen saver is on you can press any button to clear that, of course the dvr is still paused. You would need to press the pause or play button to get it going again.

Using the off button on the remote would work, since it turns off the tv and dvr. Seems kind of silly though.

7. DCSholtis

DCSholtis Up The Irons!

Aug 7, 2002
    I've also seen my DVR go into screen saver mode at times recently. I just push a button to get rid of it.

8. heebzman

heebzman Cool Member

Aug 4, 2007
    I think something more is going on with this issue. On my R22, I have had the screen saver mode on but have the audio of whatever television show is playing 'behind' the screensaver bouncing around the tv screen.

I had to pull the power cord to get it to return to normal. This has happened twice now and ONLY has happened after the HDGUI upgrade. Not sayin its related but just sayin.....:rolleyes:

9. bhigh8

bhigh8 Legend

Oct 4, 2006
    wow, I am shocked others dont have this issue. this is something i have had for over a year or two. i have 3 HR 22s and they are on all different TVs. i have even had a replacement sent to me for a different reason and it did it too.

it doesnt happen everytime but probably 90% of the time. so i am watching the music channels and it goes to the saver. the screensaver bounces around with the song title and artist. i can hit any button the remote and it doesnt respond except the off button. when i hit it, just the tv turns off. the receiver blinks. i turn back on TV and all is well.

its even worse with a paused live tv or recorded show. because when you return back with the tv on, the tv goes back to live tv and you need to go back to your list.

i guess i will have to call but i have talked to directv and no one new anything about it. i didnt know others did not have this issue.

10. hdAddict

hdAddict AllStar

Jan 9, 2006
    On my HR24 the screen saver just starts up about every 5 minutes when I'm streaming a video to the receiver from my home server. Usually, it takes two times to clear the screen saver and then it does not return for the remainder of the video/movie. Start a new movie and the screen saver returns. What gives?

11. bigtom

bigtom Legend

Jan 23, 2009
    I also have an HR22 but I have never experienced these issues.

One thing seems odd about the situation, that turning the TV off and on, and not the receiver, remedies the problem. Some televisions can create IR interference, are your remotes RF models? If so, try enabling RF through the HR22 settings. It might be worth a shot.

12. bhigh8

bhigh8 Legend

Oct 4, 2006
    I dont believe that is the issue. i have one of my remotes on RF and the other two or IR and they all do the same thing.

the only reason i hit the off button is because its the only button on the remote that responds once it does this freeze. i can pretty much do this everytime i pause live tv for 5 minutes so it should be easy to show a tech.

13. bhigh8

bhigh8 Legend

Oct 4, 2006
    So i called directv and paused my tv. the issue happened again and the guy had me hit the select button on the receiver and it turned off the screensaver. apparently they are aware of the issue and are looking into it but no idea when of if it will be fixed. like i said, i have had this for at least a year and a half.

its not the ideal solution or workaround but not the worst either. i was glad to see they heard of it and are looking into it. now i just need to decide to either get up and hit the buttons on receiver to activate it or just use the remote to turn off tv and turn back on.

14. hiker

hiker Icon

Mar 1, 2006
    I have 8 HR20s and 8 TVs in my viewing room and was having this problem. Some of the HR20s are parked on news channels so I rarely use the remote for those. Remote inactivity is usually the cause of the screen saver mode I believe, so I thought a workaround would be to send a remote command periodically to defeat the screen saver. I first tried sending an INFO command using my PC and the LAN IP interface. That didn't work to defeat the screen saver. Apparently defeating the screen saver requires a timely IR command (not sure if RF commands would also work). Now I have programmed my URC MX-3000 remote to send an IR INFO command to each of the HR20s hourly. I haven't seen the screen saver since.

15. NewForceFiveFan

NewForceFiveFan Legend

Apr 23, 2010
    Is there a way to make the screen saver come up faster when you hit pause like say after 30 or 60secs instead of the default?