1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Receiver not out putting Dolby Digital

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by skatingrocker17, Jun 26, 2010.

1. skatingrocker17

skatingrocker17 Godfather

Jun 23, 2010
    My HR24-500 is connected through HDMI to my Sony DN-1000 and I went to the menu of the receiver and set Dolby Digital to on. Even when it's a program that is broadcast in Dolby Digital the receiver is still putting out LPCM to my A/V receiver. Why is this? My old crappy Scientific Atlanta 8300HD had no problem sending out Dolby Digital signals.

2. TBlazer07

TBlazer07 Grumpy Grampy

Feb 5, 2009
    You referring to your A/V receiver or HR24? There is a DD setting on the HR as well that needs to be turned on. Not clear from your post.

3. MysteryMan

MysteryMan Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

May 17, 2010
    USA
    Check the settings on your A/V receiver.

4. skatingrocker17

Jun 23, 2010
    The Dolby Digital setting on the HR24 is turned on. The A/V receiver will accept any signal, the settings are exactly the same as they were for my cable box. If the HR24 was putting out Dolby Digital the A/V receiver would say it and there would be a blue light that says "Multi Channel Decoding".

5. Carl Spock

Carl Spock Superfly

Sep 3, 2004
    Assuming you are using HDMI to hook up a DVD player which puts out a Dolby Digital signal the Sony recognizes, try temporarily plugging the HR24 into that input. This will narrow down which piece is at fault, the Sony or the HR24.

I'd also try hooking up the DirecTV box and your Sony using an optical or coaxial digital audio feed. It's not a real fix-it, but again, will give you info for trouble shooting.

6. GenTso

GenTso Legend

Aug 26, 2008
    I get TONS better sound using the coaxial spdif input than either HDMI or optical inputs on my Sony equipment. Not sure why ... you'd think they'd pretty much be exactly the same.

Also, for whatever reason, D* receivers output audio simultaneously for each type of connection so it's real easy to see which one work the best for you and your equipment.

One of the things that might help the OP troubleshoot is changing the audio setting IN THE DVR to output Linear PCM and see what effect is has on the AV receiver. Do the messages on the front stay the same or do you get something else?

7. skatingrocker17

Jun 23, 2010
    Yes I tried that and it stays at PCM, not sure why. I know for a fact it's not the Sony receiver because the day I had DirecTV installed I watched TV with a Dolby Digital signal, using the same HDMI port. Right now I'm watching a movie using DTS. I'll try using an optical cable though but I'd prefer just to use HDMI for the advantage of just using one cable for audio and video.

8. Carl Spock

Carl Spock Superfly

Sep 3, 2004
    By that same logic, it can't be the HR24 because it also worked fine that day. [​IMG]

It's got to be either a setting on the Sony, a setting on the HR24 or the source.

9. skatingrocker17

Jun 23, 2010
    What I meant was right before I got DirecTV I was watching my cable with a Dolby Digital signal. I've tried multiple channels, even the movie channels show LPCM. On the top right on the information banner it says DD though. Maybe the HR24 only puts out PCM through the HDMI cable. Does anyone else get Dolby Digital through HDMI? It wouldn't bother me except the A/V receiver isn;t showing multiple channel PCM and I want to listen to surround sound when available.

10. sigma1914

sigma1914 Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

Sep 5, 2006
    Allen, TX
    Yes, plenty of us.

11. Steve

Steve Well-Known Member

Aug 22, 2006
    Lower...
    This 2005 article states the following, so if any equipment in your audio chain is a few years old, this may be the reason you may not be getting DD 5.1 via HDMI, but optical or coaxial works fine:

"However, if you thought that by sending those audio signals via HDMI to an A/V Receiver using HDMI inputs, it would process full-blown Dolby Digital and DTS, you?d be mistaken. Today, those products only pass/receive Dolby Digital 2.0 audio. To obtain full-blown surround sound, you would have to use either the digital audio connectors or 1394 (if available) from your DVD player or Satellite Receiver. Of course, to obtain the best digital video and digital audio signals overall, you would simply send video HDMI signals to the display directly, and digital audio signals directly to the A/V Receiver or Processor using the digital audio connectors of both products. You?ve lost the ease-of-use switching capability, but retained pristine signals."

12. skatingrocker17

Jun 23, 2010
    The receiver is part of Sony's late 2009 models and is able to accept every signal the the Playstation 3 can put out (over HDMI). No other device has this problem except for my HR24. The Xbox 360, PS3, Media Center Computer and old cable box had no problem sending Dolby Digital signals to the receiver. I would even prefer PCM because it's uncompressed but the problem is that it's not 5.1.

13. sigma1914

Sep 5, 2006
    Allen, TX
    ESPN HD is 5.1 all the time. What happens on channel 206?

14. sigma1914

Sep 5, 2006
    Allen, TX
  15. Carl Spock

Carl Spock Superfly

Sep 3, 2004
    Me.

What happens when you run a coax digital audio run out from your HR24 into your Sony? (you might need to go into your Sony's menu to assign this digital input)

What happens when you plug your HR24 into your HDMI DVD input?

16. veryoldschool

veryoldschool Lifetime Achiever Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Dec 9, 2006
    I just got a loaner Sony STR-DH710 and just checked out the HDMI from the HR24. You need to change the front panel settings on the Sony to one of the "PLII" modes.

17. john18

john18 Active Member

Nov 21, 2006
    VOS goes beyond the call of duty! :allthumbs

18. Steve

Steve Well-Known Member

Aug 22, 2006
    Lower...
    From page 79 of your manual. You might also want to double-check this setting:

Dec. Priority (Digital audio input decoding priority)

Lets you specify the input mode for the digital signal input to the HDMI IN jack.

PCM When signals from the HDMI IN jack are selected, only PCM signals are output from the connected player. To prevent interruption when playback starts, set to “PCM”. When signals in any other format are received, set this item to “AUTO”.
    AUTO Automatically switches the input mode between DTS, Dolby Digital, or PCM.

19. veryoldschool

veryoldschool Lifetime Achiever Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Dec 9, 2006
    From 48 hours of using this loaner "it's menus/settings really suck".
    My old Sony STR-DE898 was close to plug & play, yet this STR-DH710 is anything but user friendly. :(

20. Steve

Steve Well-Known Member

Aug 22, 2006
    Lower...
    If it's anything like the DN-1000, that's putting it nicely. :) The user manual has me scratching my head. I had a top of the line ES tuner/pre-amp about 10 years ago, and it doesn't look like the user interface has improved at all, IMHO.