1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

receiver on ebay??

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Installation/MDU Discussion' started by Nabisco, Jun 5, 2008.

1. Nabisco

Nabisco Godfather

May 18, 2007
    can i buy a receiver from ebay and use it on my dtv account?

2. Michael D'Angelo

Michael D'Angelo Lifetime Achiever

Oct 20, 2006
    It depends if the unit is owned or leased. If it is leased no. You should contact the seller and get the info for the receiver and ask DIRECTV before you buy one.

3. Greg Alsobrook

Greg Alsobrook Lifetime Achiever

Apr 1, 2007
  4. TigersFanJJ

TigersFanJJ Hall Of Fame

Feb 17, 2006
    I don't recommend it.

5. randyk47

randyk47 Icon

Aug 21, 2006
    San Antonio, TX
    I did buy a H20 two years ago from an authorized dealer on eBay. It was just before DirecTV really cracked down on the leased/owned business and I got it registered with DirecTV as an owned unit. At the time that was an issue to me and I was against the leased receiver business. OK, I got over that and my HR20 is leased and I don't have a problem with that. The more I thought about it the less sense it made to buy a receiver only to have it become a door stop 3-4 years later. Already have two obsolete units stuffed away in storage, don't need more.

6. scootergirl863

scootergirl863 New Member

Jun 6, 2008
    A family member bought a receiver from someone off ebay. The person they bought the receiver from had an account in Collections and then D* wouldn't activate the receiver. Be sure to check and make sure that the receiver is tied to an account in good standing with D*.