1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

Receiver powered deca without receiver

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Connected Home' started by nachumk, Feb 26, 2014.

Tags:
  1. nachumk

nachumk New Member

Feb 26, 2014
    California
    Hi all,

I have DirecTV with a DEC1MR0-01 and DECABB1MR0-01 (I think that's the version of the broadband adapter). This was set up a long time ago where the BB was connected to Comcast and the the DECA was connected to the Receiver. Right after it was hooked up, I hijacked the ethernet from the DECA and connected it to a router to provide wired internet to multiple devices (and not just the receiver). Now I'm cancelling DirecTV, and I no longer have the receiver. I would like to still use this setup. Can this be done? Looks like I need power for the DECA, but is that all I need? I saw that there is a PS18DERO-03 that some people say provides power to the DECA, but the images show a non-coaxial end. Is this what I need?

Thanks,
    Nachum

2. inkahauts

inkahauts DIRECTV A-Team

Nov 13, 2006
    Look closer that is a coaxial female end. And yes, that all you need. Basically a deca module and power for the deca on both ends and you are set.

3. harsh

harsh Beware the Attack Basset

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    As long as you aren't going to cable/OTA, you should be okay. DECA and cable/OTA are NOT compatible.

4. peds48

peds48 DIRECTV A-Team DBSTalk Club

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    there has been two types of BB DECAs of DECAs. the first generation used a non-coax tip for the power supply. The newer one uses a coax tip for its power supply. Which DECA BB do you have?

5. nachumk

nachumk New Member

Feb 26, 2014
    California
    Thanks for the replies. I'm looking for the PS18DERO-03, but it isn't widely available (only some used ones on ebay). Are there any other alternatives to PS18DERO-03? Or are there other DECA devices that I can use instead (ones that come with power supplies)?

6. peds48

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
  7. nachumk

nachumk New Member

Feb 26, 2014
    California
    $60 for that device :(. I was hoping for a less expensive solution. It looks like the PS18DERO-03 supplies 18v at .3A. I can buy an adapter to supply this same voltage and amperage, and I can connect the coaxial end to it. Assuming I get all the pieces right, would this work?

Thanks again!
    Nachum

8. inkahauts

inkahauts DIRECTV A-Team

Nov 13, 2006
    Just get it off eBay.

9. peds48

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    When ever we post a link to a product, is not an absolute, this is just a starting point and its up to you to do the "research" if you want to find it cheaper. Pretty much, the links are for "informational" use only

10. nachumk

nachumk New Member

Feb 26, 2014
    California
    Would a standard AC adapter work, when wired to a coaxial connector? Is there something else that would be missing if I did this. (18v .3A)

11. peds48

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
  12. dennisj00

dennisj00 Hall Of Fame

Sep 27, 2007
    Lake Norman, NC
    I bought the same thing on eBay a few months ago for $6 with free shipping. They probably fell off the truck somewhere.