1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

Receiver quit, any hope?

Discussion in 'Archive' started by Laverne, Mar 15, 2005.

1. Laverne

Laverne Guest

Feb 17, 2005
    Probably NO, but I'll ask anyway. OK, Sony receiver. At some point today the TV was on, everything was fine, then all of a sudden no audio. No other noises, just was, then wasn't. I looked up and there was nothing on the display screen. Dead. I tried to turn it back on, nada. I tried waiting a little while, still nothing. I tried unplugging it, waiting, back in, nothing. Tried another socket, still no. I'd say the thing is pretty much dead. I guess.

Before I haul this back to CC and wait 2-3 weeks with no surround sound :icon_cry: , is there ANYTHING that might be relatively simple to check??

2. ntexasdude

ntexasdude Hall Of Fame

Jan 23, 2005
    It sounds like you have a failed power supply. Check the back panel for a fuse or circuit breaker. If it's a power supply it will be easy to diagnose. Sadly, it may be cheaper to buy a new one than repair it.

3. Laverne

Laverne Guest

Feb 17, 2005
    Thanks anyway, NTDude. I decided I didn't want to leave any marks that the "authorized service center" could deem to be "vandalism" or "unauthorized repairs". Took it back to CC, should see it again in 2-3 weeks. They said it will go to Big D to get fixed. At least I had sprang for the service plan :contract: so I guess I will get my money's worth out of that. :rolleyes:

If they can't fix it, it will be a sign :sunsmile: :eek: that I needed a better one anyway. ;)

4. Laverne

Laverne Guest

Feb 17, 2005
    One more question, for someone who might know, concerning said service on said receiver.

On my claim ticket it says "Warranty (L/P/O): Y/Y/N" Obviously the L and P are Labor and Parts, but what's the O?

5. David_A

David_A Banned User

Nov 13, 2003
    My guess would be Onsite.

6. nsafreak

nsafreak Legend

Mar 23, 2004
    Yeah my guess would be O stands for onsite as well. I'm going to be honest here and say that I'm not a big fan of Sony receivers. So if it ends up that they can't fix it and they have to replace it if you have the option I would go with another brand. Circuit City carries both Harman Kardon and Onkyo receivers which I recommend above Sony.

7. Chucky

Chucky Legend

Jul 21, 2002
    I'll second the Onkyo recommendation. I have the TX-SR 702 THX Receiver and absolutely love it. I have a Yamaha 5250 that I was going to use in the basement when it gets finished, but I think I will sell it and get another Onkyo. Kudos to Onkyo for making a great receiver.

I had a Sony receiver (STR-DE 715) It was my first HT receiver. I thought it was a good unit. Great for music, crappy for movies.

8. deraz

deraz Daydreamer DBSTalk Gold Club

Sep 25, 2004
    I am proud to say that I have a ABS home.

ABS = Anything But Sony.

I have been disappointed with every Sony product that I have ever purchased. I am currently using Yamaha, Outlaw and McIntosh A/V equipment and have never had a problem.