1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Receiver startup time

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by Brent04, Dec 1, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dec 1, 2007 #1 of 11
    Brent04

Brent04 Legend

Nov 22, 2004
    Why does it take so long for the HD DVR to startup and can it be sped up? Back in 1994 when I first got DirecTV (then DSS) the receivers started up almost instantly. I know that the HD DVR receiver is far more advanced then the first receivers but still why does it take so long. The reason this came up was that I was watching the ACC championship game today and I lost power for a second which caused the receiver to reboot. Well it took 7 mins for before I was watching the game again. Can the receiver do some of the things that it does during the startup in the background while I'm watching TV like load the guide data. It seems like it takes even longer since the screens that show Step 1 of 2 and Step 2 of 2 have been added. Also I think DirecTV needs to change the second screen that comes up saying "Almost there. A few more seconds please..." to "Almost there. Several more minutes please".

2. Dec 1, 2007 #2 of 11
    JDubbs413

JDubbs413 Icon

Sep 4, 2007
    Yeah, I think it just has to do with trying to connect to five satellites. I am sure as technology advances, so shall DirecTV receivers.

3. Dec 2, 2007 #3 of 11
    kstefanec

kstefanec AllStar

May 13, 2007
    You have to wait for the piece of cheese to drop in front of the mouse so he can start running in his little wheel! :hurah: :D :lol:

4. Dec 2, 2007 #4 of 11
    y2k02c5

y2k02c5 Legend

Sep 14, 2006
    I have a hamster in my receiver. But I don't think its any faster than the mouse in booting it up :D:hurah:

5. Dec 2, 2007 #5 of 11
    Mykroft

Mykroft Mentor

Aug 27, 2007
    No, I think it has more to do with collecting enough guide data so that when you hit the guide button after it starts you don't see a lot of "Loading Data" entries. Personally, I don't think that's a big deal. Also, the HD-DVR's seem to spend alot of time booting just before the guide collection process.

IMHO, this is just poor programming. Being a developer I know that the system has to boot and load, but it doesn't have to be THAT slow in this day and age.

Personally, I think with each new receiver released, DirecTV has gone backward in this respect. Older receivers boot faster than newer ones, even ones that aren't DVR's like my H20.

6. Dec 2, 2007 #6 of 11
    rebkell

rebkell Godfather

Sep 9, 2006
    Is the receiver actually retrieving guide data on boot up? I figured it was stored on disk, I know the Motorola cable boxes can take half a day sometimes to get decent guide data after a power outage, it can take 10 or 15 minutes for them to just get channel data on them, I always thought that was a pretty stupid design for something with a hard drive on it.

7. Dec 2, 2007 #7 of 11
    kevin1844

kevin1844 AllStar

Nov 3, 2007
    The DirecTivo's were like this too, even the SD's, so may not necessarily be DirecTV's fault but the fact that there's a LOT to do when starting up a HD DVR receiver.

Still, makes a good argument for a UPS.

8. Dec 2, 2007 #8 of 11
    CRCError1970

CRCError1970 Cool Member

Dec 2, 2007
    I learned about connecting my receiver to a UPS during Super Bowl 41.

VERY NOT FUN! :mad:

And I live in Indiana... You can imagine the expletives in my Living Room.

Thankfully I had my OTA split to go to both my HR10 and my TV.

I was mostly mad that the recording I was making was screwed up. I was goin to record it to DVD for a freind of mine who is doing missionary work in the middle of Podunk, Russia. For some reason he doesn't pickup Sunday Night Football there.

9. Dec 2, 2007 #9 of 11
    jdspencer

jdspencer Hall Of Fame

Nov 7, 2003
    How long does it take for a PC to boot up? The DVR is a computer afterall.

10. CRCError1970

CRCError1970 Cool Member

Dec 2, 2007
    Not exactly... Your computer doesn't have to process data from multiple sources every time you start it.. It reads a few configuration details from a hard drive and starts up fresh. Your DVR needs to aquire a lot of information manually each time it reboots.

Now huge servers and domain controllers can take a bit of time to start... But then again they are pretty much always protected by a UPS system of some sort and are never rebooted unless it's comepletely needed.

11. jahgreen

jahgreen Godfather

Dec 15, 2006
    Seems the old 286 booted up DOS a lot faster than my current computer boots up on Windows . . . .

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.