1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

Receiver terms

Discussion in 'General DISH™ Discussion' started by dueport, Oct 31, 2013.

1. dueport

dueport Mentor

Dec 2, 2009
    Hi guys, two quick questions:

1.) Does Dish automatically renew contracts for another two years when they replace a DVR?
    2.) Do Dish customers actually own their DVR or are they always just leased?

I'm asking because I am a Directv customer but my parents have Dish. Parents had a lightening surge and they needed to get a new DVR because their old one was fried. I know that Directv renews a contract for two years any time they replace/activate a DVR regardless of the reason. But I'm not sure what Dish's policy is. Similarly, I know that Directv DVRs are always leased regardless of where you get it or how much you pay (that's in their terms) - but I don't know what Dish's policy is in this regard.

Thanks in advance!

2. dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    That is actually incorrect about DirecTV, and I don't think Dish is any different. If a receiver breaks, and it's replaced with the same type receiver, then no contract extension. DirecTV may charge a shipping/handling fee.

If you take the opportunity to replace the broken receiver for a different class of hardware, then both would have a contract extension. This would be replacing SD with HD, receiver for DVR, DVR for Genie, Hopper etc.

3. Mike.H_DISHNetwork

Mike.H_DISHNetwork DISH Representative DISH Representative

Feb 1, 2011

4. dueport

dueport Mentor

Dec 2, 2009
    thanks to both for the clarification. So with Dish you can actually own the receiver? I know that with Directv you cannot regardless of what you've paid and where you've paid it for a receiver (a frustrating provision to be sure)

5. dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    It is possible to buy a DirecTV receiver as well. Some are much easier than others (Genie being probably the most difficult, but it is possible.) That's one that you can't buy outright from DirecTV and very few owned ones come up for sale. But I've known at least 2 to be sold on here.

6. DB Stalker

DB Stalker New Member

Aug 21, 2013
    Tooele, UT
    The misconception about DirecTV being a new 2year extension is likely because a new lease agreement is signed when boxes are swapped out on service calls. This signature is only to confirm that you understand that the box is leased and doesn't belong to you and doesn't mean you're in for another 2 years.

#)

7. david_jr

david_jr Godfather

Dec 10, 2006
    You may purchase equipment with Dish, but that doesn't mean you won't pay the additional outlet (or lease fee) for 2nd & subsequent receivers on the account. There are a few reasons to purchase such as being able to pause your account and some others, but for most you might as well just lease as the monthly cost is the same.