1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Receiver Upgrade Quandry

Discussion in 'General DISH™ Discussion' started by vampirefish, May 9, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. vampirefish

vampirefish AllStar

Oct 19, 2004
    Hello all. I'm hoping I can get some insight on my 'plan of action'. Ok, here it goes (hope it's not too confusing) :confused: :

My Basic needs:
    1) I want a dual tuner receiver (not a PVR/DVR)
    2) I already have a PVR (single tuner - 501 PVR)
    3) I am not interested (yet) in an HD receiver
    4) I want to integrate my entertainment system into Windows XP Media Center (with dual tuners) - so that I can record 1 show and watch another simultaneoulsy (thus the dual tuner functionality)

Here's my quandry (regarding Dish satelite receivers):
    The only receiver that Dish offers with dual tuners that's NOT a DVR is the Dish322. I want to know if I can hook this up myself (providing I can obtain one and that I have the correct switches, etc needed). If so, what do I need? I want to then hook this into my computer (dual tuner card).

I called Dish to upgrade my older receiver(s) - 3000 & 2700. I was told that all I can upgrade to are 311s. I inquired about the 322 and they said it is no longer available so I'd have to go with a 522 (not interested, it's a DVR) AND that if I did so, I could only lease it (not interested in this either). The tech said that if I 'acquired' a 322 (for instance, from Ebay) that it would not work (I'm guessing they won't activate it :nono2: ) because it's only for promotional considerations.

I can get a 322 on ebay for around $50.00 - should I take a chance and buy this, set it up and then call Dish to activate? Why would Dish care what receiver I want to activate as long as they make money? I do realize that they'd rather have me pay for a DVR...but, if I want the dual tuner functionality (of the 322), wouldn't I have to pay extra for the functionality anyway?

-- I plan on moving my 501 to my bedroom and switching out my oldest (3000) with my other (2700).

Any advice on this would be mucho appreciated.

2. nsafreak

nsafreak Legend

Mar 23, 2004
    The only problem I see with this is you have no way of controlling the secondary tuner from your media center PC that I'm aware of. TV1 would be no problem since it can be controlled via infra red and your HTPC (with the proper equipment) can send those signals. But TV2 can be controlled ONLY by a UHF Pro remote control. So it kind of defeats the purpose of having a HTPC if you have to set a timer on both the satellite receiver and HTPC.

3. vampirefish

vampirefish AllStar

Oct 19, 2004
    Interesting....so then if I hear you right, the 'other' tuner for tv2 is not like a standard 2nd tuner? Do you think I could do this with a DVR with dual tuners? Or would I run into the same issue?

4. nsafreak

nsafreak Legend

Mar 23, 2004
    You would run into the same issue. All of the 2 tuner receivers currently out by E* (322,522,625,942) are controlled in this matter. Your cheapest route to use your HTPC in the way you intend is to get a pair of 301 receivers off eBay and use them. The only thing is that by having both those active on the same TV you'd be paying the same amount monthly if you had a dual tuner PVR (522) because of the monthly DVR fee.

Almost forgot that there are two dual tuner units (721,921) that are not controlled by this method since they are meant for one TV. The thing is there would be no way to hook up two independent feeds from these units into your HTPC since they don't have independent TV outputs.

5. vampirefish

vampirefish AllStar

Oct 19, 2004
    Thanks for the feedback. I guess my only option then is to have 2 separate receivers...I may just wait for a while... Time will tell with technology ...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.