1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

Receiver without smart card? Sooo what?

Discussion in 'General DISH™ Discussion' started by Driver_1, May 27, 2009.

1. Driver_1

Driver_1 AllStar

May 22, 2009
    What's the smart card for? What can you not do if you don't have one?

Some ebay receivers have none, and check out zero balance when cross checked at Dish...

AND, are old cards good? I have one in an old box (301 or 311, not sure), and I have an old DTV model DRD502RB with card, and a Hughes HIRD-D1, with card.

2. garys

garys Hall Of Fame

Nov 4, 2005
    Smart cards are for security, all new Dish receivers have one built in, when hackers start having success getting their programing for free, Dish sends out new smart cards thus making hackers lose the stolen programing. Depending on the model receivers you have with older smart cards, they can still be reactivated with Dish supplying you with a new card in order to get the receivers to work. I cannot confirm Direct tv's procedure, but I'm sure they upgrade their cards as well.

3. boba

boba Hall Of Fame

May 23, 2003
    If you buy a used receiver without a smart card you will have to buy a new card from DISH or the receiver is a boat anchor. If you have a 301 it has a smart card inserted if you have a 311 the smart card is built into the circuit board. The blue cards were replaced with the yellow smart cards and are worthless, the yellow cards are almost replaced with purple cards and could be shut off at any time.

4. paulman182

paulman182 Hall Of Fame

Aug 4, 2006
    Isn't it true that you can get NASA, a few other public service, and the barker channels with no card?

I'm pretty sure last time I tried my deactivated Dishnetwork receiver I got those channels. The receiver did have a card, just no subscription.

5. coldsteel

coldsteel Hall Of Fame

Mar 29, 2007
    Yes, those are always available, since they're public interest and Dish gets paid by the 'barker's (nice term, BTW. Will blatantly steal it. :) ) to always show those channels. That's why you still have some programming, even when suspended/cutoff.

6. JohnH

JohnH Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Apr 22, 2002
    Since DiSH is doing the "barking" they do not get paid except by themselves. ;)

BTW: Some of those receivers will stop functioning after a predefined period without a valid subscription.

7. tnsprin

tnsprin Hall Of Fame

Mar 15, 2003
    It use to be impossible to use the receiver without a card. I am not sure that you can use the receiver with say an expired built-in card, but it may work.

8. garys

garys Hall Of Fame

Nov 4, 2005
    Once Dish replaces cards on a particular model. You need a new card to get it to work. You may be able to view some of the FTA channels Dish has, but you will get the frequent "You need to update your smart card." messages.

9. peano

peano Icon

Feb 1, 2004
    Carded receivers will not work for any channels without a card. They will come up "Smart Card Not Inserted Correctly"