1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

Recent problems recieving XM in truck

Discussion in 'Sirius XM General Discussion' started by Loonytunes, Nov 26, 2008.

1. Loonytunes

Loonytunes New Member

Mar 10, 2008
    I purchased a new Chevy truck in August with an XM receiver as part of the in dash entertainment system. I have had no problems receiving XM signals until a few days ago.

Now it seems every time I pass under a bridge or any type of momentary overhead obstruction I get loss of signal for a second or two. When I first starting using XM in the truck I could get the signal even parked under my metal carport, now I get no signal at all.

Is anyone else having problems like I'm experiencing?

2. paulman182

paulman182 Hall Of Fame

Aug 4, 2006
    Maybe you live near terrestrial repeaters that are not presently in operation for some reason.

I get about 7 dropouts on the way to work every morning because there are no terrestrial repeaters in my area.

3. Loonytunes

Loonytunes New Member

Mar 10, 2008
    Update: XM tech support resolved the problem. They directed me to w w w.xmradio.com/refresh/index.xmc, and asked me to follow the directions. I now have excellent reception again!

4. Dolly

Dolly Hall Of Fame

Jan 30, 2007
    Glad you got things fixed. And I'm sorry I started to mention that to you, but I guess I got distracted and never made it back to this thread. DBSTalk is so large with so much information sometimes I think I go into mind overload here :lol: But some people might not think I have a mind to overload and they may be right :D

5. Davenlr

Davenlr Geek til I die

Sep 16, 2006
    What does that do, download new firmware or something?

6. Dolly

Dolly Hall Of Fame

Jan 30, 2007
    I think the Sat. sends down a new signal to "refresh" the radio. But not being a big tech person myself, I'm sure someone can give you a better answer.

7. Galaxie6411

Galaxie6411 Icon

Aug 26, 2007
    I try and do that every 3 months or so. Usually the first sign you need to do it is the signal strength dropping when you are not near any obstructions. For some reason I can get a good signal in my garage in my truck and I have no towers anywhere near me, makes it easy when I need to update though.