1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Reciever Cost Help Please

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by omj, Nov 2, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Nov 2, 2007 #1 of 61
    omj

omj Legend

Jun 28, 2007
    I currently have an HR20 in my family room and one old standard receiver in my daughters room. I called directv because I wanted to add an additional receiver for my bedroom because I am considering buying a new tv to put in there. My original HR20 was free except for shipping. I spoke with a guy and ask him pricing for additional receivers. Another DVR was 199, an HD receiver was 99, and a standard was 69. 69 dollars for a standard receiver. That's crazy. Can someone tell me the cost for breaking your contract. I think it would be a better deal to pay the early cancellation fee and sign up new under my wife's name and receive all the special deals they offer new customers. I can't believe they want you to pay a monthly fee for HD service and pay for the receiver on top of that and then to beat it all you have to pay to lease the receiver. Unbelievable.

2. Nov 2, 2007 #2 of 61
    Michael D'Angelo

Michael D'Angelo Lifetime Achiever

Oct 20, 2006
    I know it was $12.50 per month for every month left on contract. But I think a few weeks ago it went up to $20 a month.

Plus if you did that you would have to return your HR20 because it is a leased unit. So you would need to get that HD DVR again on top of the other two units (whatever ones you want).

I don't even know what or how good the new customer deals are right now on hardware. The last I seen you were able to get an HD receiver or SD DVR and I think up to 3 or 4 SD receivers for free.

3. Nov 2, 2007 #3 of 61
    LarryFlowers

LarryFlowers New Member

Sep 22, 2006
    That's fairly normal pricing. You do not tell us how long you have been with D*, what package you have, etc.

My brother who has been with D* for about 5 yrs now, changed over to HD and got the DVR for $199 + a $100 billing credit, reducing the DVR to $99.

However, if you have been with them a long time and you are actually prepared to leave them, you can call back and ask for Customer Retention. State your case clearly and without anger(being nice goes along way to getting deals) and see what kind of deal Retention will offer you. You did not say if you were trying to get a DVR or a receiver and wether it would be SD or HD. Don't expect to get it for free, but you can probably get a better price with some additional programming credits.

Good Luck.

4. Nov 2, 2007 #4 of 61
    omj

omj Legend

Jun 28, 2007
    I have been with directv over a year. I originally called and asked about the HD DVR but he told me it was about $200. I then asked how much for HD and it was 99. I just don't like the fact that I have been paying 5 dollars a month for dvr service, 9.99 a month for HD service, and 4 dollars a month for the receiver in my daughters room and ask for a receiver to watch HD in my room and they want you to pay more on top of that.

My bill:

Total choice- 47.99
    HD Access- 9.99
    DVR Service-5.99
    Leased receiver-4.99

Total-$68.96

So they want to pay an extra 99 for an HD receiver, an additional 4.99 a month for leasing a new one on top of the lease fee I pay currently, and let's not forget the 9.99 I have been paying a month just to have HD.

5. Nov 2, 2007 #5 of 61
    JLucPicard

JLucPicard Hall Of Fame

Apr 27, 2004
    The $4.99 a month is a program mirroring fee to mirror your programming to the additional receiver and is - and always has been - charged whether your receiver is leased or owned.

My bill generally comes in from $1 to $20 over $100 a month. You know what it would cost me to add an HR20? Same thing as you. Same for a lot of people that pay even more than me.

The reality is it costs the subscriber to acquire equipment. Demand and philosophical changes at D* regarding all the deals they've been handing out has caused that ship to pretty much sail. You can call and see what kind of deals you can negotiate, but it is what it is.

6. Nov 2, 2007 #6 of 61
    rambrush

rambrush Cool Member

Oct 30, 2007
    I purchased my hr20-700 from bb and then when activated I was able to get 120.00 knocked off over 12 months.
    So yes they will work with you, I am a long time customer with a great track record. Be nice and be nice

7. Nov 2, 2007 #7 of 61
    omj

omj Legend

Jun 28, 2007
    I just don't like having to pay for dvr service, hd service, then have to pay 200 for a dvr hd receiver that I have to lease for an additional 4.99 a month. Makes no sense financially. You are buying the receiver to lease. Buying to lease. Crazy.

8. Nov 2, 2007 #8 of 61
    Michael D'Angelo

Oct 20, 2006
    You can buy one to own if you want, but it will cost you $750. That is still cheaper the when the HD TiVo came out but a lot more than the $200 or $300 you will pay to lease it.

The way I look at it is, yea that is a lot of money to lease it. But If you pay $750 to own it or like the people that paid $1000 or $1200 for their HD TiVo and than were able to sell them because the owned it. What did they get $150 to $400 maybe for them? So they still lost a lot of money on them.

By leasing the unit you take your lose up front because you will not be able to get it back. But it is a lot less of a loss.

And the $4.99 lease fee is just a new name for mirror fee. All that does is allow your receiver to receive the programming.

9. Nov 2, 2007 #9 of 61
    omj

omj Legend

Jun 28, 2007
    Maybe I should switch back to cable. At least when you pay for a service you don't have to pay for the equipment on top of a fee for leasing it and a fee for service. I am going to investigate their dvr service cost and equipment.

10. TigersFanJJ

TigersFanJJ Hall Of Fame

Feb 17, 2006
    Maybe you should. Most cablecos have much higher rates and less channels, but at least you don't have to pay the small upfront fee. Instead, you'll have to pay the etf to D*.

11. Michael D'Angelo

Oct 20, 2006
    You will still have to pay $4.99 per receiver after the first one. It is that way will any company. Unless you don't want receivers on all your TV’s with cable. But you will only be able to receive basic cable.

Also cable companies DVR fee is a lot more a month than DirecTV. I believe it is $12.99 (may be different in all areas) instead of $5.99. That is where they make up the difference of not charging you up front for the unit.

12. omj

omj Legend

Jun 28, 2007
    I guess another option would be to look for a used hd receiver on ebay. Are there any problems with doing that?

13. Michael D'Angelo

Oct 20, 2006
    You just need to make sure the unit is owned and not leased. If it is leased you will not be able to activate it. You will either need to trust the seller or try to get the access card number from them and call DirecTV before you buy it to check.

14. TigersFanJJ

TigersFanJJ Hall Of Fame

Feb 17, 2006
    You can also use the RID to verify if it is leased or owned.

15. omj

omj Legend

Jun 28, 2007
    Is there any place on this site for buying and selling items? Kind of a trade forum? Sometimes Ebay makes me a little nervous!!!

16. boba

boba Hall Of Fame

May 23, 2003
    amj how cheap are you? To UPGRADE to a leased H20/21 it will cost you $99 that includes installation and any needed switches. Is that really that expensive if you are going to buy a HDTV for your bedroom.
    Remember if you buy from Ebay you still have to pay $4.99/mo. for the additional receiver fee, how much can you save?

17. TigersFanJJ

TigersFanJJ Hall Of Fame

Feb 17, 2006
    Yes, the buy, sell, trade forum.

Click here

18. Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet The Shadow Knows!

Jun 18, 2006
    You need to be a DBSTalk Club member to access that forum I believe.

19. omj

omj Legend

Jun 28, 2007
    I don't think it's being cheap. I just don't understand why anyone would pay 200 dollars to lease something. I don't mind paying the mirroring fee each month. I don't mind paying the dvr service fee each month. I don't mind paying for HD service every month. I HAVE a serious problem giving them 200 more dollars on top of that for a leased box. I am paying for all of the services I receive I just think having to pay for another box is crazy. If you are going to pay that then they shouldn't charge you a lease or mirror fee.

20. Michael D'Angelo

Oct 20, 2006
    To get full access whatever the means. I am not sure what you can and can't do if you are not a club member.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.