1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Reciever upgrades

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by bosoxfan, Dec 15, 2011.

1. bosoxfan

bosoxfan Mentor

Dec 15, 2011
    I've been a D*tv customer for a long time. Currently I have a couple of the older slower HD DVRs in my living room and master BR. Is there anyway to get them upgraded without a huge expense? I would really like to upgrade my LR DVR to the new HMC in February when it's available to current customers in the SE.

2. spartanstew

spartanstew Dry as a bone

Nov 16, 2005
    Wylie, Texas
    Not really. You can call and ask what kind of pricing they can give for the HR34 when it's available to you, but D* doesn't really have an "upgrade" program.

3. litzdog911

litzdog911 Well-Known Member

Jun 23, 2004
    Mill Creek, WA
    They consider all of the HR2x HD DVRs as "functionally equivalent", so they don't consider any of them to be an "upgrade". Furthermore, their systems don't allow them to specify a specific model for shipment anyway. The HR34 would, of course, be a true upgrade.

4. CCarncross

CCarncross Hall Of Fame

Jul 19, 2005
    Jackson
    If you already have HR2x model dvr's, all you can do is call when the HR34's do become available...they are considered current. Unless one is actually not working, they arent going to replace them for free.

5. azarby

azarby Hall Of Fame

Dec 15, 2006
    Youo can get the HR34 HMC from independent retailers, but you will need to order them yourself and pay full price ($399). You will also have to do a self install. The two dealers that members are using are Value Electronics and Solid Signal. Be prepared to wait a couple of weeks for delivery as supplies are scarce.

6. bosoxfan

bosoxfan Mentor

Dec 15, 2011
    Is D*tv going to rebate part of that price? Seems a bit steep for a box that you won't really own, just rent.

7. spartanstew

Nov 16, 2005
    Wylie, Texas
    Doubtful they'll rebate any of it.

8. I WANT MORE

I WANT MORE CowboySooner

Oct 3, 2006
    Northern plains
    Why do you say that. I purchased my from VE and scheduled a SWiM/Deca upgrade and install from D*.

9. spartanstew

Nov 16, 2005
    Wylie, Texas
    Because your getting a SWiM/Deca upgrade. They won't come out just to install a box you bought from somewhere else.

10. I WANT MORE

I WANT MORE CowboySooner

Oct 3, 2006
    Northern plains
    If there is a person on this board that cannot hook up a receiver...................................

11. bosoxfan

bosoxfan Mentor

Dec 15, 2011
    At the risk of sounding stupid, what is a SWiM/Deca?

12. RCinFLA

RCinFLA Legend

Oct 3, 2006
    Short answer,

SWiM is the new D* RF system that takes part of the channel tuner and puts it at antenna converter. It aleves having to bring all the satellite channels down to every receiver. A receiver is assigned one (or two for DVR) of the tuners in the antenna mounted converter.

DECA is D* system of providing an RF based local area data network (LAN) over same RF cabling used for satellite channels.

13. CCarncross

CCarncross Hall Of Fame

Jul 19, 2005
    Jackson
    I'm sure there are plenty....just replacing an HR with a newer HR should not be an issue for most. But upgrading to DECA/SWiM at the same time may be beyond many here.

14. I WANT MORE

I WANT MORE CowboySooner

Oct 3, 2006
    Northern plains
    No question about that.

15. DaaQ

DaaQ Legend

Aug 20, 2008
    Well you would have possession of it for as long as you had the service, if you didn't have the service it would be useless anyway. It's cheaper than most tablets, and 50$ more than a top end smart phone w/ 2 yr agreement.

16. DaaQ

DaaQ Legend

Aug 20, 2008
    Also consider how much hard drive prices have gone up and for what you would pay foe just the TB hard drive you get quite a value.

17. Rich

Rich DBSTalk Club DBSTalk Club

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    Nope, Boston Red Sox fans are excluded from upgrading.

Rich

18. David Ortiz

David Ortiz Save the Clock Tower!! DBSTalk Club

Aug 21, 2006
    Fresno, CA
    !rolling

19. ThomasM

ThomasM RF Engineer

Jul 20, 2007
    Milwaukee, WI
    DirecTV caters to new subscribers. That's why they get a huge programming discount (for the first year), free install of a new dish, a free HD DVR, free receivers (up to 4) free premium channels for a few months, free HD, etc.

Existing customers get basically nothing except maybe a free (or reduced-cost) upgrade on ONE receiver IF they aren't under commitment and haven't gotten anything else for free for a long time. This also results in a new 2 year commitment at DirecTV's ever-increasing prices.

I'm currently not under commitment so I am watching closely everything that is going on with DirecTV, DISH, U-Verse, Cable, etc. before I make the jump to HD. It is an important decision for to get the best deal you are stuck with your choice for 2 years.

If you have lots of OLD receivers and aren't under commitment, one way to get all the latest equipment, a super programming discount, and a NEW dish is to consider switching providers. Most folks I've talked to who did this get a call from DirecTV 2 years later begging them to come back with all the new customer perks.