1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

Recommendations for an excellent A/V program

Discussion in 'Tech Talk - Gadgets, Gizmos and Technology' started by Lord Vader, Jul 30, 2013.

1. Lord Vader

Lord Vader Supreme Member

Sep 20, 2004
    Galactic Empire
    My Norton Security stuff is expiring and I'm debating whether to renew it or try something else. It DOES seem like a system hog, that's for sure. I've tried others in the past. Does anyone have a recommendation for a reputable one? It doesn't have to be free; just not expensive, I guess.

2. jimmie57

jimmie57 Hall Of Fame

Jun 26, 2010
    Texas City, TX
  3. Lord Vader

Sep 20, 2004
    Galactic Empire
    Comcast was providing Norton for me, but when I moved 11 months ago, I went to AT&T UVerse because Comcast wasn't allowed here. I can always check to see what AT&T may offer its Internet customers.

Sent from my EVO LTE using DBSTalk mobile app

4. inkahauts

inkahauts DIRECTV A-Team

Nov 13, 2006
    Mse. And gun glary utilities every once in a while and then rip it back off. Spy sweeper is good to. I run it then rip it back off my computer every so often. MSG is all I leave on in general. Everything else sucks power.

5. dennisj00

dennisj00 Hall Of Fame

Sep 27, 2007
    Lake Norman, NC
    Microsoft Security Essentials is free and as un-intrusive as any. I also recommend scanning with Malwarebytes every couple of weeks.

1 person likes this.
  6. klang

klang Hall Of Fame

Oct 14, 2003
    Near...
    Another vote for MSE and Malwarebytes.

7. FHSPSU67

FHSPSU67 CE'er & Retired Engineer DBSTalk Club

Jan 12, 2007
    Windber, PA
    And another vote for MSE and Malwarebytes, which have been great and unobtrusive for me.

8. Lord Vader

Sep 20, 2004
    Galactic Empire
    Malwarebytes I do use to run periodic scans, but it sounds like MSE is popular.

9. Rich

Rich DBSTalk Club DBSTalk Club

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    I dumped my Norton and went to MSE and have had no problems.

Rich

10. Lord Vader

Sep 20, 2004
    Galactic Empire
    I've never really been a big fan of Norton, because whenever I've used it, it always seems to be a system hog.

11. Rich

Rich DBSTalk Club DBSTalk Club

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    MSE seems to be pretty innocuous, I've never had any real problems with Norton, but free is good.

Rich

12. heathramos

heathramos Legend

Dec 19, 2005
    I use MSE as well

be sure to schedule full scans once in awhile, though

you can still get stuff in your java cache that only the full scan will pick up

I use Malwarebytes if I suspect I already have virus/malware

13. dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    Of course AV is only one component, and not a failsafe. Keep everything updated, especially Java and anything Adobe, Windows.

MSE is the best free option. I've also been a fan of ESET and Kaspersky for paid. I avoid all "security suites", just go with the basic product.

14. Lord Vader

Sep 20, 2004
    Galactic Empire
    Thanks

15. djlong

djlong Hall Of Fame

Jul 8, 2002
    New Hampshire
    Another vote for MSE from a former Norton evangelist. Norton just became such a hog when dual-core CPUs came out. It was like they felt they had a right to one of your two CPUs. And don't get me started on how many times I contacted support to have them say "uninstall and reinstall" when their uninstall process ALWAYS left traces behind. The arrogance and loss of focus in that company came as a disheartening shock to me as they HAD been the premier vendors in that category.

16. dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    The best stuff from Norton was when he was involved with the company. He was actually quite good.

17. dennisj00

dennisj00 Hall Of Fame

Sep 27, 2007
    Lake Norman, NC
    Same for McAfee . . . and they both went to hell! Did John ever land in jail? He was in the news for a while. . . then faded again.

18. Cholly

Cholly Old Guys Rule! DBSTalk Club

Mar 22, 2004
    Indian...
    I would add Webroot and AVG to the previously mentioned highly recommended A/V software. MSE is good, but reviewers say it misses a fair number of viruses/malware.

19. dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    I don't know that McAfee was ever that good of a programmer, viruses were much simpler back then.

He's not in jail, he actually got a bit more press with a very bizarre video on how to uninstall McAfee AV. I won't post it here as it's NSFW and probably violates a few rules of the forum. I think he's in Portland Oregon now.

20. dmspen

dmspen Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Dec 1, 2006
    Los Gatos,...
    I had Norton (freebie from Comacst) for a while. My boot times on my PC were in the 7 minute range. After troubleshooting all sorts of other issues, I used Soluto to categorize my boot programs and times. Guess who the hog was? Yep, Norton. I dunped it and went to MSE and never looked back.

Malwarebytes saved my butt PC a few years ago when a nasty 'you have a virus buy this now' type of program lodged in my PC. Malwarebytes was the only program that remedied the situation. I was running Norton at the time. Since then, Malwarebytes is part of my aresenal.