1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Recommendations for dual radio N and G wireless router?

Discussion in 'Tech Talk - Gadgets, Gizmos and Technology' started by Hansen, May 15, 2010.

1. Hansen

Hansen Hall Of Fame

Jan 1, 2006
    Need to buy a new wireless router. My Linksys WRT610N died after about 14 months. Linksys said tough luck. No interest in another Linksys product. Looking for recommendations to replace this one. Budget of roughly $200. Want dual radio N and G band. Needs to be gigabyte on wired.

2. Cholly

Cholly Old Guys Rule! DBSTalk Club

Mar 22, 2004
    Indian...
    Look no further than the Netgear Rangemax WNDR3700. I bought one from Amazon a few months ago and am very happy with it. It has gotten great reviews, including a Kickass rating from MaximumPC magazine. It's now their router of choice. Price from Amazon is currently around $135.

3. tgater

tgater Godfather

Jul 24, 2007
    2nd, plus works on 2.4g and 5g. USB port for attached storage.

4. Hansen

Hansen Hall Of Fame

Jan 1, 2006
    Thanks. Does it have two radios...one for the G band and other for N band so that I can have both types of devices on the network?

5. dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    It's dual band, 2.4 and 5ghz. You can have N devices with G (and even B) on the 2.4 together, but you'll be speed limited. Putting devices that are 5ghz N compatible on that frequency limits the interference. But it's not like 2.4ghz is for G and 5ghz is for N.

6. Hansen

Hansen Hall Of Fame

Jan 1, 2006
    Thanks. Ordered one from Amazon.

7. Carl Spock

Carl Spock Superfly

Sep 3, 2004
    A timely thread for me, too. I also ordered one of these today from Amazon, along with a Netgear switch. I need to update both pieces and these look very good.

8. dennisj00

dennisj00 Hall Of Fame

Sep 27, 2007
    Lake Norman, NC
    I'm not sure why you're mad at Linksys for not fixing / replacing an out of warranty product. I personally have 2 WRT600Ns (both refurbs) and have installed about a dozen (and lots of other Linksys products) with no problems.

Most any electronics product can last a week, months or years and most have warrantys of 90 days. Sometimes it's amazing how long things last when you take a look at what's coming in on the power line or telephone connections.

9. Hansen

Hansen Hall Of Fame

Jan 1, 2006
    Not mad at Linksys; just disappointed in them. I think a product that they charge nearly $200 for should last more than 14 months. It's their choice not to replace it since it was out of warranty. But, I've been in a similiar situation on a warranty where the company said close enough time wise and replaced it. That kind if customer service brought them a customer for life. Now, in my case Amex covered it under their warranty program since I purchased it with my Amex. Amex rocks and has me as a customer for life. So, with my next router and future networking products, I will give my business to someone other than Linksys. My choice as a consumer.

10. Richard King

Richard King Hall Of Fame

Mar 25, 2002
    I am working with a customer (updated a home theater for her) who is also looking for a wireless router. She has only one computer (a laptop) and would like to take it to the living room or the back deck. I suspect that just about any wireless router would work, but, I would also like to hook her printer up to the router so that she could send print jobs to the printer wirelessly and not have to disconnect/reconnect the printer everytime she wants to move the computer or print a page. I know many routers have USB ports that can be used for external storage, but, what's the story on hooking up printers to routers and what's the best route?

11. dennisj00

dennisj00 Hall Of Fame

Sep 27, 2007
    Lake Norman, NC
    Either a wired or wireless Print Server. . . various styles and prices $50 - 100. She can also replace the printer with one that has a wired or wireless interface for about the same price depending on the printer features.

12. Cholly

Cholly Old Guys Rule! DBSTalk Club

Mar 22, 2004
    Indian...
    I have an HP Photosmart 3210 networkable inkjet networked via CAT5 to my router. Also have a Brother ML-2170W laser connected wirelessly. I can access both via my primary desktop computer, my laptop and my small form factor HTPC in my den. Other computers in our house also have access to the Brother.

13. Carl Spock

Carl Spock Superfly

Sep 3, 2004
    On Tuesday I received the Netgear router recommended above and an appropriate Netgear switch, the GS608NA. I installed it yesterday, just in time to see the beta program for MRV expire. I had MRV turned back on and these two new pieces are working flawlessly. No lag. No freeze frames. No pixelization. Great picture.

These two were great purchases. Total cost from amazon: $192.64.

14. UMass03

UMass03 Cool Member

Jun 6, 2009
    +1 I bought the WNDR after my Linksys died and couldn't be happier!