1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

Recommendations for Future-Proof A/V Receivers?

Discussion in 'Home Theater Audio' started by Canis Lupus, Dec 7, 2007.

1. Dec 7, 2007 #1 of 24
    Canis Lupus

Canis Lupus You make it, We break it

Oct 16, 2006
    Onkyo TX-SR705 looks pretty attractive - 6-700 bucks, 3 HDMI and TrueHD and DTS-HD Audio.

Denon looks amazing, but pricey.

Anyone like Onkyo? I've never owned one but need to upgrade the old Sony.

2. Dec 7, 2007 #2 of 24
    Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet The Shadow Knows!

Jun 18, 2006
    From what you say that's not bad but what about component inputs? How many digital inputs, optical vs. coax?

3. Dec 7, 2007 #3 of 24
    Mike728

Mike728 Icon

Oct 29, 2007
    There is nothing "future proof" in the A/V world. :nono2:

4. Dec 7, 2007 #4 of 24
    Nick

Nick Retired, part-time PITA DBSTalk Gold Club

Apr 23, 2002
    The...
    There are a very few technology devices I can think of that would be "future-proof",
    particularly an A/V receiver with so many combinations of input/output connections,
    not to mention the possibility of completely new surround-sound schema.

Television is a classic example, with consumer video connections going from 300Ω
    bare antenna screws to 75Ω coaxial RF to baseline composite (RCA) to S-video to
    component (RCA) to DVI-D&I to A/V combo HDMI and subsequent versions, thereof.

What's next? All you can do is buy the latest, greatest cutting-edge technology, then
    sit back and worry about a newer, better gizmo hitting the market, but, then, the early
    adopters will always pay a premium for the latest toys.

The real question, with most technology advancements being evolutionary rather than
    revolutionary, is how much is it worth to you to always have the latest and greatest a/v
    toy in your rack?

5. Dec 7, 2007 #5 of 24
    Canis Lupus

Oct 16, 2006
    3 comp in, 3 each toslink and coax audio, built-in upconvert for all SD video resulting in single hdmi output to tv for all devices

6. Dec 7, 2007 #6 of 24
    Canis Lupus

Oct 16, 2006
    Totally agreed Nick. By futureproof I'm talking 4 years, and for today's needs, better decoding for bluray and simple a/v switching for multiple hdmi and legacy devices, which makes the onkyo look good for the price.

7. Dec 7, 2007 #7 of 24
    bonscott87

bonscott87 Cutting Edge: ECHELON '07

Jan 21, 2003
    No kidding. I seem to have to get a new A/V receiver nearly every 4-5 years. My last purchase was a Yamaha 5960 and in less then a year I've already maxed out all the inputs. I'm tapped out already! :(

8. Dec 7, 2007 #8 of 24
    Canis Lupus

Oct 16, 2006
    Funny you mention that bonscott. I've notice I've only used fewer inputs/outputs as time as gone on. Maybe I had the last of the analog behemoth A/V receivers. This Onkyo I'm looking at double what my current Sony has :lol:

9. Dec 7, 2007 #9 of 24
    John in Georgia

John in Georgia Godfather

Sep 24, 2006
    I used an Onkyo-Integra SV-919THX for years and really enjoyed the sound quality and features. However, this model did not have DD/DTS decoders in it. That's the main reason I upgraded to the Denon (excellent as well!)

As a matter of fact, the Onkyo is still on my equipment shelf as I intend to use the audio amplifier sections in the future.

10. pete4192

pete4192 Godfather

May 22, 2007
    I've got the Onkyo 605...a step below the one you are looking at, but I thought the savings discount was worth it.

11. Cholly

Cholly Old Guys Rule!

Mar 22, 2004
    Indian...
    If you are looking to future proof your system, you might also want to take a look at Yamaha products. They cost quite a bit more than Onkyo, but they are well worth it.
    The RX-V1800 lists for $1299 -- upscales to 1080p, has 4 HDMI 1.3a inputs, 3 component video, 6 A/V inputs (all with S-Video), 5 optical and 2 coax digital audio inputs and 2 optical outputs, Dolby TrueHD, Dolby Digital Plus and DTS Master Audio decoders, neural surround THX, XM ready, with XM HD surround.

It's several steps from Yamaha's high end (the RX-Z11, a 11.2 receiver listing at $5499.95)

For mor info, see: http://www.yamaha.com/yec/

12. funhouse69

funhouse69 Icon

Mar 26, 2007
    I agree with the other posts saying that nothing is "Future Proof" with that said I have been a Yamaha fan for many, many years. Before getting in to Yamaha I bought a Sony Receiver and I have to say I was very disappointed with its performance. That was many, many years ago.

Recently I wanted to revamp my entire surround sound set up so the research began. I talked to friends and checked various website. This prompted me to give Sony another chance, I figured what the heck I can always return it if need be. I decided on the Sony STR-DG1000 but that was kind of hard to find so I went with the STR-DG1100 and I have to say that I am thrilled with it's performance. I would suggest checking this out to anyone that is considering upgrading or jumping in to the Home Theater arena.

Also worth mentioning is that I also upgraded my surround speakers to Cambridge Soundworks S300's (2 pairs) to give me a 7.1 setup and I have to say that the price / performance was WELL worth the money. I got 2 Pairs of their S300's for under $300 during their recent inventory reduction sale and to say that they are impressive is an understatement. While I know that this VERY subjective I would highly recommend checking them out to anyone that is looking to upgrade.

13. Carl Spock

Carl Spock Superfly

Sep 3, 2004
    I have an RX-V1800 and am very pleased with it.

Agreed, nothing is future proof. You'll be lucky if it stays up to date for five years.

14. bonscott87

bonscott87 Cutting Edge: ECHELON '07

Jan 21, 2003
    LOL

I got this model because of the component inputs and number of optical inputs. It had 3 which I thought would be more then enough. I only needed 1 at the time and couldn't foresee a time I'd need more then 3. Well in less then 6 months I had all 3 filled up and I could use another. :eek2:

But the real wall was Dolby Digital inputs. It had 3 optical and 2 coax (1 coax shared with 1 optical). If it weren't for the ability to assign/mix-n-match video and audio inputs I'd be dead. I've maxed these out as well.

So my advice...get a receiver that has at least 1 or 2 more inputs then you need today.....then double it and get that model. :)

And I highly recommend Yamaha as well. Love it. Can't believe how long I had Sony crap. I just didn't know any better! :(

15. steve053

steve053 Godfather

May 11, 2007
    I have the TX-SR674 and really like it. I've been an Onkyo owner for 20+ years. They build quality products at decent price point.

One thing, they do tend to run hotter than other receivers (even if you don't push them). So it's best that they are out in the open, or have a lot of breathing room if in a cabinet.

Steve

16. Tom Robertson

Tom Robertson Lifetime Achiever DBSTalk Club

Nov 15, 2005
    And consider a unit that can handle every single device you have as HDMI, even if they aren't today. With copy protection (crap) coming, all your component enabled devices today will be replaced with HDMI next go around.

Ouch. I'd need 5 minimum right now. (and if I double that...) :)

Happy Holidays!
    Tom

17. Canis Lupus

Oct 16, 2006
    Great posts and advice guys thanks!

The reason I'm looking at the Onkyo (was it the 705 model I said?) is 3 HDMI (which would leave 1 open today - lower models of Onkyo have only 2 HDMI), True HD and Master Audio/DTS-HD, and the price.

The Yamahas and Denons look awesome. My only concern is the cost against the technology changes, as mentioned above with all the responses to "future-proof".

At half the cost of Denon and Yamaha, I think Im leaning towards the Onkyo, but I'll look around a bit more in that price point.

Anyone else found good prices against features in that 600-700 range?

Also - those with 7.1 setups. is there anything I need to add to what I have now?:
    2 Main
    Center
    Sub
    2 Rear

Thanks again.

18. funhouse69

funhouse69 Icon

Mar 26, 2007
    I know everyone has their preference as to which brand they like and as I mentioned in a previous post I have been a Yamaha fan for many, many years however I did a lot of research when it came time for me to upgrade and I decided to give Sony a chance and I have to say that I am not disappointed at all.

My suggestion is to go to www.jr.com and order the Sony STR-DG1100 it is normally around $1000 but they have it on sale right now for $699 which is in your price range. I think you will find that it fits right in the Spec Range you are looking for. You could also try and find the STR-DG1000 for under $500 but it is NOT 1080p it is only 1080i.

Check out the specs of the 1100 here.
    http://www.jr.com/JRProductPage.process?Product=4192500

19. funhouse69

funhouse69 Icon

Mar 26, 2007
    Sorry I forgot to mention, you can use everything that you have now speaker / subwoofer wise. If you want to upgrade to 7.1 then all you will need to do is add another set of surround speakers (identical would be best). These will give you a much better "Steering Effect". I tested my new setup in both 5.1 and 7.1 and 7.1 is much more impressive so it was well worth the money for the additional surround speakers.

Also keep in mind that the placement for 7.1 might be a little different then for 5.1. Check out the placement guides on www.Crutchfield.com or even in the Sony Manual which you can download from their website. I found that moving my rear surrounds made a huge difference as well.

20. Steve Mehs

Steve Mehs Hall Of Fame

Mar 21, 2002
    I have the DG1000 and love it, only thing I wish I would have waited 2 months for the DG1100. I could careless about most of the features, but the 1100 offers an extra HDMI input, an intergrated Sirius tuner and a digital media port to connect an iPod. I don't care about component, composite or Svideo inputs, the only two video sources I have are my DVD Player and cable box, both which have HDMI, but a third HDMI input would be nice for a game system maybe.

BTW - The DG1000 supports 1080p.

"Capture the excitement of the digital world with the STR-DG1000 7.1 A/V receiver. This device is designed to be a centralized hub for television, home theater, music and radio that can be transmitted to multiple rooms. The STR-DG1000 captures input from your audio and visual sources, including Blu-ray discs™, DVDs, CDs and portables, and optimizes each signal for the best possible aural and visual quality. The STR-DG1000 features two High Definition Media Interface (HDMI) inputs that are capable of transmitting resolutions up to 1080p, so every last bit of visual intelligence from a Blu-ray or DVD disc is vividly displayed."

http://www.sonystyle.com/webapp/wcs...51&storeId=10151&langId=-1&productId=11035461