1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Recommendations for Slimline Satellite Finer/Meter

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by gregftlaud, Apr 26, 2012.

1. gregftlaud

gregftlaud Hall Of Fame

Nov 20, 2005
    Can anyone recommend a good satellite finder/meter for help with mounting a DTV Slimline5 (non-SWM) dish?

thanks

2. litzdog911

litzdog911 Well-Known Member

Jun 23, 2004
    Mill Creek, WA
    Unless you're going to be doing this a LOT, you can simply use the Receiver's built-in meter. Stand-alone meters suitable for Slimline and SWM installations will cost a few hundred dollars.

3. awblackmon

awblackmon Legend

May 20, 2009
    agreed. Just use the signal screen to find where to point the dish by entering your zip code. Then use the signal meter built into the receiver to get the dish aligned. Saves a ton of cash that way.

4. gregftlaud

gregftlaud Hall Of Fame

Nov 20, 2005
    Well that is a bit difficult for me b/c i live in a 2 story apartment complex. I have no way of seeing the signal meter on the dvr from the 2nd floor on top of the roof. Everytime i pointed the dish i'd have to run down the ladder....thru the courtyard.....up the stairs and into my apartment to look at the meter. And no sadly i dont have anyone that wuld help me with this by standing inside (via cell phone) telling me what the meter reads.

I found this one on solid signal's website but want to make sure this is a suitable one before i order. It's like 99 bucks.

http://www.solidsignal.com/pview.as...I-Satellite-Signal-Tracking-Meter-(ACUTRACPRO)

5. BobStokesbary

BobStokesbary Legend

Oct 24, 2010
    Are we talking SWM or non-SWM dish here because the makes a difference in the setup you need. (I agree, using the receiver meter would be a lot of exercise. And even if you could get the audio feature to work that would be a bit hard on the neighbor's ears.) I use an Accurtrac 22 Pro for my SWM setup in the RV. But, again you probably don't even need something like this if you are standard Slimline. And are we discussing a 3 head LNB or the 5 head?

6. gregftlaud

gregftlaud Hall Of Fame

Nov 20, 2005
    Non SWM

7. fluffybear

fluffybear Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Jun 19, 2004
    Peachtree...
    Anyway you can turn the volume up extra high, leave a window open and align it based on tone? I realize this might annoy the neighbors (then again it might just get one of them to come and help you) I have had to use this method myself on more than one occasion and while it's not the best method, it does work..

Can I ask why are you not having DirecTV do the install for you? They have all the necessary equipment to get you the best signal possible

8. gregftlaud

gregftlaud Hall Of Fame

Nov 20, 2005
    B/c i want to do it myself. I'm a big do it yourself guy.

And no I cant leave the window open and be able to hear the dvr's singal meter. The dish is on the back of the building on the side of the eve on the 2nd floor. My TV is in the living room....and i have quite a big aparment.

I'm actually a bit surprised with all the really good tech guys on these boards i didnt think it was going to be so tuff getting an answer or recommendations.

9. bigglebowski

bigglebowski Legend

Jul 27, 2010
  10. litzdog911

litzdog911 Well-Known Member

Jun 23, 2004
    Mill Creek, WA
    If you're having to constantly realign your dish, then something is wrong with the way it's mounted.

11. gregftlaud

gregftlaud Hall Of Fame

Nov 20, 2005
  12. kevinturcotte

kevinturcotte New Member

Dec 19, 2006
    Outside...
    Will that actually show signal strength for the Ka satellites?

13. gregftlaud

gregftlaud Hall Of Fame

Nov 20, 2005
  14. bigglebowski

bigglebowski Legend

Jul 27, 2010
  15. MrShowtime

MrShowtime Legend

Apr 8, 2009
  16. gregftlaud

gregftlaud Hall Of Fame

Nov 20, 2005