1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Recommendations Please!

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by jaytbird, Jun 17, 2013.

1. jaytbird

jaytbird Mentor

Sep 26, 2006
    Hi all. Been a DTV customer for 15 years. Current setup is 2 HR-20 DVR's networked over wired Cat 5 Ethernet. It's been perfect for 3+ years, but we are moving.

I'm wondering if it is time to upgrade my system. What are my choices and what is the most reliable new technology. I will have TV's in 3 locations, and will probably need to do at least one, maybe two of these locations as wireless.

I look forward to hearing from all of you.

Jay

2. peds48

peds48 Genius. DBSTalk Club

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    wireless ain't happening. as far as what you can get, give DirecTV a call they will be able to tell you what you qualify for.

3. inkahauts

inkahauts Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2006
    See if they will get you a genie system. You will gain over what you have now in every way.

4. carl6

carl6 Moderator Staff Member DBSTalk Club

Nov 15, 2005
    Seattle, WA
    Get a Genie for one of the three locations. You can either keep your two HR20's if you want, or you can go with mini-clients (C31 or C41) for the other two locations. Wireless is not an option, you will have to have one RG6 coax run to each TV location (but not two as you probably have now with your HR20's, even if you keep the HR20's).

As peds48 noted, the only way to find out for sure what you can get is to call DirecTV and ask. Arrange a movers connection and ask about a Genie for the third TV location.

One other consideration, the HR20 is capable of off-the-air reception, however none of the newer DirecTV HD equipment includes that as a built-in capability. If you are using OTA, and you replace the HR20s, you will need to get AM21 external tuner units for each location that you want OTA (and will need a second coax for the OTA antenna).

5. inkahauts

Nov 13, 2006
    All quite true Carl...I forgot about the OTA possibly being important. But if he doesn't need OTA, I'd dump the hr20s and go all genie clients and genie system. He'd still come out ahead in tuners, watching locations, and hard drvie space, and ease of use, IMHO.

6. CCarncross

CCarncross Hall Of Fame

Jul 19, 2005
    Jackson
    As someone who has an HR20 and 2 newer models that require AM21's, I wouldnt hesitate to replace an HR20 with a newer model and an AM21, as functionally there is no difference. In fact with certain newer models, the AM21 will scan for locals that may not be in the Off-Air database for your zipcode as well.

7. peds48

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    I'd dump the hr20s and go all genie clients and genie system. He'd still come out ahead in tuners, watching locations, and hard drvie space, and ease of use, IMHO.

I'll never recommend a Genie/Client system only as I don't like "putting my eggs in one basket"

8. inkahauts

Nov 13, 2006
    No different than someone who has only one TV, which I am sure there are plenty of as well.

Or one refrigerator. Or one car. Or...etc etc etc...

Some times I think that argument is over blown myself. Most people, don't care. Especially when the positives outweighs the negatives by a wide margin. He's going to get to keep those hr20s they don't recover them anymore. So he could keep them and if a genie died he could instantly activate one of the hr20s until they could get to him if there was a delay in getting to him to replace it.

Or watch a blu ray or something.

9. peds48

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    No different than someone who has only one TV, which I am sure there are plenty of as well.Or one refrigerator. Or one car. .

Ohhh, yes, there is a HUGE difference. try missing an appointment for a DirecTV customer who is expecting new service or a service visit. fridge goes bad, service guy calls in sick, they go to MickeyD, OTOH, in DirecTV they go to the OOP. BIG, BIG difference

10. inkahauts

Nov 13, 2006
    Again it's a pain no matter what. And like I said he'd have a backup HR20 ready to go.

11. peds48

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    Again it's a pain no matter what. And like I said he'd have a backup HR20 ready to go.

But if the tech is doing the upgrade, he must recover the HR20s

12. lucky13

lucky13 New Member

Nov 27, 2006
    Maryland,...
    The installer who did my upgrade yesterday left an HR20 and an H21 behind.
    I don't think DirecTV wants them back.

13. inkahauts

Nov 13, 2006
    But if the tech is doing the upgrade, he must recover the HR20s

In my area (los angeles) techs aren't allowed to do any recovers. All recovers are done by them shipping boxes for receives directly to the customer. Of course that was a year ago, who knows if they have changed that by now. With that said, hr20s are not supposed to be recovered at all, so they shouldn't no matter what. That's like saying they'd back up a hirde86. Shouldn't pick up that either.

I would imagine that's all denoted on their work orders about recovery.

14. peds48

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    In my area (los angeles) techs aren't allowed to do any recovers. All recovers are done by them shipping boxes for receives directly to the customer. Of course that was a year ago, who knows if they have changed that by now. With that said, hr20s are not supposed to be recovered at all, so they shouldn't no matter what. That's like saying they'd back up a hirde86. Shouldn't pick up that either.

I would imagine that's all denoted on their work orders about recovery.

Yes, even the HIRDE86 should be picked up by the tech. and no, work orders does not say anything about this.

15. west99999

west99999 Icon

May 11, 2007
    Just because its non recoverable just means they are not going to pay shipping for it to be mailed back. If a tech is already there they are supposed to pick up any box that is swapped/deactivated/customer doesn't want anymore etc....... They do want them back just don't want to pay shipping for them.

16. inkahauts

Nov 13, 2006
    Well what you guys are saying is in direct conflict with what happened at my folks. Ad zero chance the pick up an hirde86. Those where owned only and years old.

HR20 are not supposed to be recovered, so why would they expect techs to pick them up? They will not be refurbished ever again.

17. peds48

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    Well what you guys are saying is in direct conflict with what happened at my folks. Ad zero chance the pick up an hirde86. Those where owned only and years old.

HR20 are not supposed to be recovered, so why would they expect techs to pick them up? They will not be refurbished ever again.

No idea why they want them back but is standard policy. Just because you got a lazy tech it does not mean that is the rule, rather the exception

18. inkahauts

Nov 13, 2006
    More like three guys and a supervisor. They where not being lazy. It could be because I'm in Los Angeles and so close to their refurb it costs as much for a customer to send it as it does front he install place, who knows.

19. jaytbird

jaytbird Mentor

Sep 26, 2006
    Thanks guys, lots of good info.

A bit more info if it helps:
    OTA is not important.
    I'm interested in the Genie and will call and find out if I'm eligible.
    I'll keep the HR 20's if possible.

Thanks for the input, it is much appreciated!

20. Beerstalker

Beerstalker Hall Of Fame

Feb 9, 2009
    Peoria, IL
    My guess is they send them to a ecycler by the pallet load and get a buck or two a piece for them for scap metal. So if they can get them back cheaply by having a tech recover them they will do so, but they won't bother spending $20 to get them shipped back so they can get $1 in scrap.