1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

Recommitment turned sour!

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by bhepper, Jan 24, 2014.

1. bhepper

bhepper New Member

Jan 22, 2014
    South Dakota
    After signing up with DirecTV awhile back we have been fairly happy with our service. UNTIL NOW!

We recently recommitted to them for another 24 months on the conditions we would receive the latest receivers. As part of the recommitment we were to receive a $200 gift card as well as $100/month for 24 months. When the installer came to install the equipment we discovered the equipment he had was older than on of the receivers we were currently using. When we discovered the latest receiver would be able to be sent to us we canceled the order and upgrade offer. Upon checking with them however we were told the other offers ($200 gift card and $10/month for 24 months) could not be removed by ANYONE at DirecTV and we would therefore be stuck in the commitment as they were separate agreements!

This is not what I agreed to at all. I agreed to the recommitment under the pretense we would be receiving all items discussed. Grrr!!!

2. Davenlr

Davenlr Geek til I die

Sep 16, 2006
    If they didnt activate the "new" receivers on your account, there should be no recommitment. The activation and signature is what they base it on....unless you already spent the gift card, I suppose they could go on that.

Email the Office of the President with your complaint, and remember, its posted on this board over and over...DirecTv cannot guarantee any specific models, only catagories (receiver, HD receiver, DVR, HD DVR, Genie). Only way to be guaranteed a certain model is to order it from Solid Signal or another online dealer, and HOPE DirecTv reimburses you for it in accordance with your agreement.

3. dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    What do you have and what did they come with to replace your equipment? The only upgrades (to DirecTV) are between classes.

4. bhepper

bhepper New Member

Jan 22, 2014
    South Dakota
    HR23 and HD Receiver currently.

Was told would get Genie and new HD DVR which we were going to use in the basement to keep our recordings separate from our kids' recordings.

The installer had the HR44 and an HR22.

According to DirecTV they are separate agreements and would not remove the other offers from the account.

5. peds48

peds48 DIRECTV A-Team DBSTalk Club

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    There are a few promotions such as gift cards and bill reductions that are tied to (usually) one year commitment

6. inkahauts

inkahauts DIRECTV A-Team

Nov 13, 2006
    I'd ask where my genie was. That would be a big jump over what you have now, that is a proper upgrade.

7. dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    I'd have taken it to be honest. That's the newest Genie, and there honestly isn't a difference between a 22 and a 23 in a SWM environment, which is what is used for a Genie. You should have been able to just keep the 23 though.

8. bhepper

bhepper New Member

Jan 22, 2014
    South Dakota
    The $200 gift card was tied to 1 yr commitment and $10/mo for 24 months was tied to 24 month commitment I believe. But I told him I would only commit if we could do all 3. Was never told I couldn't cancel the other two.

9. bhepper

bhepper New Member

Jan 22, 2014
    South Dakota
    The way I look at it if there wasn't a difference there would be no reason to release the new one. We could have kept the 23, but I was going to recommit and pay for the next two years I felt it should be with newer equipment.

10. peds48

peds48 DIRECTV A-Team DBSTalk Club

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    the HR44 is new equipment

11. bhepper

bhepper New Member

Jan 22, 2014
    South Dakota
    Yes, but all equipment was to be newer. It was discussed and explained by me to the representative when we talked.

12. Old_School

Old_School Legend

Nov 28, 2011
    PA
    The newest HD DVR (non genie) that you could get was a HR24 and i am sure by now its a pretty high chance of being a referbished unit... i would have got the HR44 and kept the HR23 and been done with it.

13. Laxguy

Laxguy Honi Soit Qui Mal Y Pense.

Dec 2, 2010
    Winters,...
    What exactly did you mean by "HD receiver"--- what model, please. Old school's idea has merit.

14. inkahauts

inkahauts DIRECTV A-Team

Nov 13, 2006
    The only reason they released the HR23 was it use wide band tuners so it didn't need Bbcs on the end of it, but once they went to all swim it became a moot point. They are the same. I believe they actually stopped making hr23s before HR22 because of cost, not positive though.

Did you let them install all the hr44?

15. gov

gov Legend

Jan 11, 2013
    Hmm.

I've been involved in quite a few installs where the customer thought they were getting a gift card of some sort. Don't ever recall anyone ever actually getting one though, LOL!

:righton:

16. bhepper

bhepper New Member

Jan 22, 2014
    South Dakota
    Received a message on Facebook stating they were able to cancel the gift card and discount offers. Imagine that. Am waiting for confirmation the agreements have been cancelled. They may have saved a customer from canceling. Not that they care I suppose.

Interesting about the gift card though. Guess we won't find out now!

17. bhepper

bhepper New Member

Jan 22, 2014
    South Dakota
    Received a call from the Office of the President. They are putting the agreement cancellation on the fast track. They are also going to send an HR24 to us directly and then reschedule an install and the original agreements into place. She was very nice and helpful. Liked her.

18. raott

raott Hall Of Fame

Nov 23, 2005
    But wait a minute, Directv is currently running ads making fun of the evil cable company for sending used equipment to customers. You mean they do the same thing? Shocking.

1 person likes this.
  19. MysteryMan

MysteryMan DIRECTV A-Team DBSTalk Club

May 17, 2010
    USA
    You do realize as Old_School stated the newest non Genie HD DVR is the HR24 and that there is a high chance the unit they are sending you will be refurbished. A refurbished HR24 will still be considered by DirecTV as new equipment.

20. raott

raott Hall Of Fame

Nov 23, 2005
    Which makes the ads they are currently running laughable.