1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

Record one show on two channels

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by terryfoster, Oct 9, 2013.

1. terryfoster

terryfoster Godfather

Nov 14, 2006
    I've setup two series links for ABC shows on my DVR. One for the satellite feed and a second for the off-air feed. It only appears to record the higher priority series link (despite the available tuners in my HR34). I'm guessing this has something to do with the DVR thinking I've setup a duplicate pass.

How do I change this to record first run shows on both channels?

2. otaliema

otaliema AllStar

Aug 9, 2012
    Mid-west USA
    You could try an advanced boolen search for the show and set to auto record than it will record all instances of it with in the channels specified in the search but you may still run into the same problem of the unit only recording one of the two channels for that show as the history will show based on show data that it has been recorded already.

Might we find out why you want to record the exact same show twice? security back up in case of signal loss?

3. bpratt

bpratt Godfather

Nov 24, 2005
    Salt Lake...
    Set up one series link and one manual record for the other channel.

4. Supramom2000

Supramom2000 In Loving Memory of Onyx-2/23/09

Jun 20, 2007
    Colbert, WA
    That's what I've done.

5. terryfoster

terryfoster Godfather

Nov 14, 2006
    Sorry for abandoning my thread. Yes, this is to have a backup recording in case my antenna feed fails. A repeating manual recording is less desirable given the maintenance necessary when shows change schedule. I might just stick to my every couple of weeks hitting record in the guide for the shows we watch.

6. WestDC

WestDC DIRECTV A-Team DBSTalk Club

Feb 9, 2008
    Does your ABC Station Have a SD Channel in the Guide? (not over the air channel) if so set the recording for the SD channel and all should be well.

7. terryfoster

terryfoster Godfather

Nov 14, 2006
    To follow up, I realized the simple solution was to setup the satellite recordings on my second DVR. If this wasn't an option, I probably would have gone with SD recordings as my backup. All of this is likely temporary until I feel confident that my antenna is solid.

8. Rich

Rich DBSTalk Club DBSTalk Club

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    Solid Signal sells solid antennas. Sorry, I just couldn't resist. :rolling:

Rich

9. Steve

Steve DIRECTV A-Team

Aug 22, 2006
    Lower...
    Sure there wasn't another conflict at that time? Perhaps 3 OTA channels trying to record? Asking because a few minutes ago, I duplicated a 12:30 PM OTA series link with a SAT SL for the same show (ABC's Millionaire), and both are recording as I type this. I'm using an HR21. Don't have OTA hooked-up to my Genie at this time, so I can't check if it may be a Genie-only issue.