1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

record ppv movie to genie but watch on hr24?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by BlackDynamite, Apr 1, 2013.

1. Apr 1, 2013 #1 of 24
    BlackDynamite

BlackDynamite Legend

Jun 5, 2007
    So here's the situation...

Pull out phone, open Directv app, set a ppv movie to download or record on my genie receiver.

Later that night, I go to my hr24 receiver, select that movie in the playlist (whole home dvr works fine), go to the "buy/watch" option, and get a message on the screen that it can only be purchased from the genie or by calling Directv.

So I call Directv, order it over the phone, and I still get that same message. The phone rep resends the authorization a few times, but the issue persists. I finally resolve it by deleting the movie, going to channel 1100 on the hr24, and redownloading it.

This has happened 5 or 6 times now, and the phone reps have not had any idea how to fix it.

2. Apr 1, 2013 #2 of 24
    Scott Kocourek

Scott Kocourek DIRECTV A-Team

Jun 13, 2009
    If you have whole home, buy it on the Genie and then watch it on the other receiver. Once it is purchased it will work just like any other whole home tv program.

3. Apr 1, 2013 #3 of 24
    BlackDynamite

BlackDynamite Legend

Jun 5, 2007
    Is there anyway to download it to the genie (which is in my game room in my basement) but purchase it on my hr24 (which is upstairs in my home theater)?

4. Apr 1, 2013 #4 of 24
    Diana C

Diana C Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Mar 30, 2007
    New Jersey
    No...as far as I know, purchases are still recorded on the smart card, and so a purchase must be made on the device where the recording resides.

5. Apr 1, 2013 #5 of 24
    BlackDynamite

BlackDynamite Legend

Jun 5, 2007
    Well that sucks, but....

Is there a way to record it to the genie, purchase it via text message or phone app, and then watch it on the hr24?

6. Apr 1, 2013 #6 of 24
    acostapimps

acostapimps Hall Of Famer

Nov 5, 2011
    Illinois
    Doesn't whole home works for this like any other recordings regardless where it's purchased?

7. Apr 1, 2013 #7 of 24
    BlackDynamite

BlackDynamite Legend

Jun 5, 2007
    You would think, but it hasn't been working for me. I have to delete it, then download it again after the purchase has already been authorized.

8. Apr 1, 2013 #8 of 24
    acostapimps

Nov 5, 2011
    Illinois
    Is this PPV on demand or PPV channels?, as I know you can order the PPV channel from your Genie and watch on the 24, but it's only a 24 hour rental and will get deleted automatically from the time you view it. I should work on demand as well.

9. Apr 1, 2013 #9 of 24
    BlackDynamite

BlackDynamite Legend

Jun 5, 2007
    The last few times I tried it was on demand. Not positive, but I think I tried it with a recording before that too.

10. acostapimps

Nov 5, 2011
    Illinois
    You can also try it from a PPV channel which also means you'll have to wait for the next showing, after that same movie ends or find another one. See if it works.

11. acostapimps

Nov 5, 2011
    Illinois
    Is other recordings showing in the playlist from the Genie not PPV to the 24? If not you'll need to enable shared playlist in the whole home menu settings.

12. BlackDynamite

BlackDynamite Legend

Jun 5, 2007
    Yes the playlist works and I watch stuff from the genie on my other receivers all the time.

13. Diana C

Mar 30, 2007
    New Jersey
    This info goes back several years, but I think it still works this way:

If you purchase any PPV via the website, phone or any other method besides from the receiver, the purchase is logged to your account, but the purchase isn't "completed" until you select "watch" on the DVR. Because of the way purchases are logged, that HAS to be done on the DVR where the program was recorded. Once the purchase is complete, you can watch it on any receiver in your whole home network like any other recording.

The only way I can think of to "purchase" a PPV from a "remote" location is with a RVU client attached to a Genie. That might not work either, but it should.

14. peds48

peds48 DIRECTV A-Team DBSTalk Club

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    NO, the purchase MUST be made with the receiver that recorded the paid event

15. Scott Kocourek

Scott Kocourek DIRECTV A-Team

Jun 13, 2009
    Are these receivers in the same home? Why not purchase it on the Genie, then go and watch it on the other receiver?

16. BlackDynamite

BlackDynamite Legend

Jun 5, 2007
    Yes they're in the same home. That's why I can see the movie in the playlist (whole home dvr only works on receivers that are in the same home, as far as I know). It's just a pain in the butt to get everyone all settled in the home theater upstairs, then run all the way downstairs to purchase the movie.

17. Diana C

Mar 30, 2007
    New Jersey
    You can either record it on the HR24 instead of the Genie (the phone app lets you direct the recording to any DVR on the account) or put a Genie mini-client (C31 or C41) in the theater.

18. BlackDynamite

BlackDynamite Legend

Jun 5, 2007
    Yeah I've been deleting it from the genie and just downloading them again on the hr24.

The thing is, I do most of my spontaneous downloads on the genie. And we do actually watch movies down there too.

So normally it goes something like this....

Use phone app to download a movie to genie.

A week or 2 later, decide to watch that movie.

If I'm downstairs with a bunch of friends, this is perfect. If I'm upstairs in the home theater with my lady, this doesn't work.

19. acostapimps

Nov 5, 2011
    Illinois
    Yes I get that part, but I meant regardless where the PPV is purchased you should be able to watch it to any receiver via MRV, like a normal program recording. Secondly it can be ordered and recorded online so it can be authorized to any receiver on the account.

20. mjwagner

mjwagner Icon

Oct 8, 2005
    What you need to do is this. Based on what you described the movie was recorded to your Genie but you want to watch it on your HR24. First, go to your Genie and start the playback of the movie. You will get two (maybe 3, I forget) dialog boxes asking if you want to buy/watch the movie and then thanking you for your purchase. You need to respond to each of the dialog boxes. Once that is complete you can then stop the movie on your Genie then go to your HR24 and select the movie from the shared playlist and play it. At that point you will be all set.