1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Record show regardless of channel?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by JustinBrown, Aug 31, 2011.

1. JustinBrown

JustinBrown AllStar

Feb 1, 2007
    Is there a way to record a show regardless of what channel it's on?

For example, I want to record every episode of Home Improvement (with Tim Allen) that comes on any channel. If I setup an Autorecord based on Keyword, it records too many shows that are not Home Improvement.

I believe TiVo has this ability.

2. DogLover

DogLover Hall Of Fame

Mar 18, 2007
    You might try the keyword search ALL HOME IMPROVEMENT TIM ALLEN. That should weed out most of the non-fiction home improvement shows

3. TomCat

TomCat Broadcast Engineer

Aug 31, 2002
    Just record "Tim Allen", as he has only done a couple movies and no TV since HI, IIRC. But then he does have a new show coming out soon.

4. gslater

gslater Gone to the Dogs

Aug 5, 2007
    I think you meant AALL. You could also use TTITLE to restrict your search to the title field. Check out this link on advanced search:

http://www.dbstalk.com/showthread.php?t=132971

5. DogLover

DogLover Hall Of Fame

Mar 18, 2007
    Yes, you are correct, it should be AALL.

6. Sep 1, 2011 #6 of 10
    jahgreen

jahgreen Godfather

Dec 15, 2006
    A couple? Just Toy Story and The Santa Clause (and sequels) gets you to 6. Check him out at IMDB--34 titles listed. Plus the new show coming soon.

Including "Home Improvement" in the search is advisable.

7. Sep 1, 2011 #7 of 10
    grecorj

grecorj Legend

Jan 20, 2008
    I can't remember -- and I'm not in front of my box right now -- but in addition to the keywords you can select a show type as well .... is there a comdedy category?

HOME IMPROVEMENT TTITLE & Show Type, Comedy

8. Sep 2, 2011 #8 of 10
    TomCat

TomCat Broadcast Engineer

Aug 31, 2002
    Exactly. 6 movies to weed out, most of which never run, some of which only run in December, vs. numerous HI shows on numerous channels which run every day of the week and sometimes multiple times per day. There are even 24/7 HI channels to contend with, yet you might notice there is no Tim Allen channel. So we are talking about reducing the potential recordings by a factor of anywhere from 50 to 100 times less than what you get with "Home Improvement". What is wrong with that?

I did not claim it to be a perfect solution. But you really only get to condemn it AFTER you post a better one.

9. RMBittner

RMBittner Legend

Mar 28, 2011
    As a TiVo user who will be a D* customer the minute they release the new DirecTiVo unit, I can tell you that, yes, you're right: TiVo can do this. Since I don't know D* software at all, it's possible that others here can suggest a way to duplicate it.

On TiVo, you would create a Wishlist, which, unlike Season Passes, is not channel specific. But you'd want to search for both the show title "Home Improvement" as well as the actor name "Tim Allen." (You could also add a category, etc.) Otherwise, you'd get any show that had "home improvement" in the title.

Some other thoughts: I doubt that "HI" is being repeated on a ton of channels. You could do a Series Link for each channel, if you have the room in your SL list. (Also not an issue with TiVo.:))

When you do the keyword Autorecord, is there a screen that will show you what the DVR is going to record? If so, you could probably go through that list and weed out the extraneous stuff before it hits your hard drive.

Granted, none of these is a great solution, and you'll likely be better off using the advanced search terms that others have recommended.

10. inkahauts

inkahauts Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2006
    AALL HOME IMPROVEMENT TTITLE & series & comedy

would be the best.

Boolean search words like aall and TTITLE allow the hrs to be more powerful than any wish list that you could ever create with a TiVo. They just aren't publicized. Do a search on this forum for Boolean search words and you can learn all about it, or pm me if you have any questions.