1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

Recorded program question

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by OlderNDirt, Jul 3, 2013.

1. OlderNDirt

OlderNDirt Mentor

Mar 16, 2007
    Currently have an HR24 and HR21. Scheduled to upgrade from HR21 to a Genie and wanted time to "empty"/watch all recorded programming so I wouldn't lose those not watched yet. Tech rep said with whole home that they could still be watched on HR24 after HR21 removed, that the recorded program was on both HDD's. I read these forums fairly regularly and have never heard this and it doesn't make sense to use up drive space "double recording" all shows.

I am going to leave one recorded program already watched when the upgrade comes and see what happens, but I fully expect it to be "gone with the old DVR". Just wanted to see if anyone here has heard anything supporting this.

Thanks in advance for any input.

2. trh

trh This Space for Sale

Nov 2, 2007
    NE FL
    If you're getting rid of the 21, then you will lose all it's recordings. If you're just adding the Genie to your system with MRV, then you won't lose those recordings.

3. harsh

harsh Beware the Attack Basset

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    If you understood the CSR correctly, they gave you bad information.

The content is not automatically mirrored and further, it cannot be transferred.

You need to proceed as if the HR21 and all of its associated recordings (including any external drive recordings you've done with it) are going away.

4. Laxguy

Laxguy Honi Soit Qui Mal Y Pense.

Dec 2, 2010
    Winters,...
    Now if he said "moved" instead of removed, and that "the recorded program could be watched on both DVRs", believe it.

But when the 21 goes bye-bye, everything on it does, too. There's no mirroring of anything.

5. OlderNDirt

OlderNDirt Mentor

Mar 16, 2007
    Thanks for the responses. It is what I expected, but not going to bag on the rep as she was more then helpful.