1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Recording Bug: Where is and why not use the original air date information?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by JonW, Sep 1, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sep 1, 2007 #1 of 16
    JonW

JonW Icon

Dec 21, 2006
    Maybe if the HR20 did this, it wouldn't get confused and record a bunch of title-less repeat episodes and wipe out my season pass which had a 5 episode limit.

2. Sep 1, 2007 #2 of 16
    kiwiquest

kiwiquest AllStar

Jan 9, 2006
    I always enjoyed the additional information that the Directivo boxes would give you, such as the original air date.

3. Sep 1, 2007 #3 of 16
    davring

davring Hall Of Fame

Jan 13, 2007
    That is not a fault of the HR20, it is the Tribune Co. which provides D* with the data.

4. Sep 1, 2007 #4 of 16
    philslc

philslc Legend

Dec 2, 2006
    The additional information is one reason that I use my Series 3 Tivo for OTA HD instead of the HR20. I get the networks and HD PBS on the Tivo. A real 30 skip is also very nice for programs that contain commercials.

5. Sep 2, 2007 #5 of 16
    csgo

csgo Legend

Oct 15, 2006
    There's a LOT of info in the DTV data stream. The original air date, director, credits, etc. The data is there and the lame excuse above is simply not true.

Look at a UTV box and you'll see how much better guide data is available. The UTV unit pulls 100% of the data out of the DTV stream. No phone calls needed.

It's unfortunate that so much bad information is passed on in attempt to make excuses for lame programmers.

-Joe

6. Sep 2, 2007 #6 of 16
    borghe

borghe Legend

Oct 6, 2006
    It has nothing to do with programmers. Even though the data is there, if it's proprietary data DirecTV can't use it. Remember that much of the UTV and Tivo data that has been passed over the D* stream over they years is still the property of those companies and licensed by DirecTV. Even if the original air date were unencrypted and fully available to DirecTV through the stream, if Tivo owned the data DirecTV couldn't use it in their DVR without licensing it.

7. Sep 2, 2007 #7 of 16
    JonW

JonW Icon

Dec 21, 2006
    They need to either license it, or work around it some other way. The most basic function of their recorder does not work well because of faulty guide information.

It's been this way for a long time, but it's reached the level of bug when it starts recording repeats and wiping out original episodes. I'm not sure if this one has been fixed, but if the guide information changed while a program was being recording, the HR20 would cut off the recording!!

I've also missed recordings due to re-scheduling, but never knew because unless I plow through the history on a regular there's no way to tell. They really need an indicator to show that scheduled programs have been removed or changed, and a screen that details what happened. So regardless of the quality of the guide info, that's something they can correct.

Growing pains are no longer an excuse, the HR20 is going prime time this fall.

8. Sep 2, 2007 #8 of 16
    mtnagel

mtnagel Hall Of Fame

Sep 18, 2006
    What show are you talking about? I have noticed that on many of the MTV shows like The Hills and Real World (they're for my wife ;)), that most of the time it correctly records on first runs, but some times, it will record repeats, but I think that's more the exception than the rule. Maybe I'm just lucky.

9. Sep 2, 2007 #9 of 16
    JonW

JonW Icon

Dec 21, 2006
    Monk, Dead Zone, maybe Psych and Battlestar Galactica. I think it used to happen with SG-1 as well. Basically programs which are still on first run, but also have a lot of second run showings - and apparently unreliable guide info on those repeats. So mostly USA and probably SciFi too.

It's definitely more the exception than the rule, but the fact it can cause all your previous first-run recordings to get wiped out is what makes it serious.

10. bonscott87

bonscott87 Cutting Edge: ECHELON '07

Jan 21, 2003
    SG-1 trips up the Tivo's as well and has for years. Reason is that the original air date would be set to what it was in Canada (a month ahead of the US) and thus the Tivo would view it as a repeat and not record it. You'd have to change the season pass to include repeats to pick up the "new" episodes. Same thing happened to the HR20 this past year for SG1 (and on the Dish DVRs as well). I know my DirecTivo's would record the Monk repeat marathons despite the fact it was set to first run only (don't know about Monk on the HR20 as I don't watch the show anymore).

I'm not making excuses or anything, just pointing out the wonky guide data infects all DVRs.

11. Ken S

Ken S RIP

Feb 12, 2007
    I gotta agree on this whole "It's the Tribune's fault" (last time I looked the bill I get each month said DirecTV on it...and there's always a charge for DVR service). C'mon. DirecTV could get better guide data....they're big enough to do it themselves or pay for it to be done correctly. Of course, what we can't know is it really the raw data or is it the HR20 not parsing it properly?

12. Milominderbinder2

Milominderbinder2 Cutting Edge: ECHELON '08

Oct 8, 2006
    TiVos do not update the Guide data via phone. They all get the same Guide data from the same channel 100 back-channel stream.

It is the same TMS data that DIRECTV itself broadcasts to TiVos and to HR20's alike.

May I ask who told you the limited Guide information was not the fault of the HR20?

- Craig

13. Milominderbinder2

Milominderbinder2 Cutting Edge: ECHELON '08

Oct 8, 2006
    Matt,

The HR20 will not show the original air date. We want to see when this program originally aired.

- Craig

14. mikek

mikek Godfather

May 17, 2007
    I have to disagree. I have an RCA D*box that shows the original air date and give a lot more info than the HR20.

-mk

15. vikingguy

vikingguy Legend

Aug 1, 2005
    No it is not because on my hr10-250 it skips the same repeats my new HR20s are recording. Examples are friday night lights and prison break the HR20 wants to record them all even though it is set to first run. The HR10-250 is skipping these recordings because they are repeats. It seems most of my HR20 first run passes are not working properly. I hope this gets fixed soon because it is a pain to go through the to do list daily to weed out repeats.

16. JonW

JonW Icon

Dec 21, 2006
    I'd like to re-emphasize that bad or missing guide data isn't what makes this a serious bug. The serious problem is that the HR20 will throw away episodes making an entire season pass worthless if this bug occurs.

As these channels turn all high-def this is going to become even more serious. Even if you remove the limit on the number of episodes in a series link, if the HR20 decides to record a 24 hr marathon of a HD series - most users won't have that much free space. The HR20 will toss out unwatched episodes to make room and/or block new recordings.

So while addressing the quality of the guide data is important; creating a conservative, safe, and informative recorder is much more important.

Heck, another major difference between the HR20 and the HR10-250 is that the HR20 decides to record new episodes at the expense of old episodes. So while the HR10 may record an episode it shouldn't, at least it stops once the season pass becomes full. The HR20 keeps on chugging. So not only do you lose your old episodes because of that weekend marathon, but the HR20 is going to block out other recordings as well depending on the priority of the season pass.

Most series repeat once a week at the same time and there really aren't that many original episodes. They could put some smarts in the recorder to try to detect when something "wonky" is occurring and notify the user. That'd help. but of course it would help even more if they paid someone to review and correct the original series information in the guide. With the addition of networking, they might even add a means for users to report a guide error.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.