1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Recording Canceled - Unexpected Error 2003

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by eBruce, Feb 14, 2009.

1. eBruce

eBruce New Member

Feb 1, 2007
    North Carolina
    Within the last 4 days - we have had several shows that did not record. Looking at the recording history - they all have the same message:
    This episode was canceled due to an unexpected error (2003)

Other shows record just fine. The missing ones all seem to be "record once" - the series recordings (Survivor, ER) all seem to be OK.

Interestingly - Battlestar Galatica episode (series record) from last night shows the error message in recording history, but showed up in the 2-do list and played just fine.

Any advice on troubleshooting this one?? Have read thorugh some OLD threads on this, but did not see any resolution.

Here is the info on my DVR:
    HR21-200
    Software 0x2CB

Thanks everone!!!

2. AAKent

AAKent New Member

Aug 10, 2007
    I'm getting the same thing, along with a "Your guide data has not updated in 7 hours." I think this started with the new software download. This is on a HR20-700.

3. Rich

Rich DBSTalk Club DBSTalk Club

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    What is an "unexpected error"? Is there such a thing as an "expected error"?

Rich

4. veryoldschool

veryoldschool Lifetime Achiever Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Dec 9, 2006
    Like scheduling the error for a more convenient time?

5. Ken S

Ken S RIP

Feb 12, 2007
    You don't have kids do you? :)

6. Nicholsen

Nicholsen Godfather

Aug 18, 2007
    I am also seeing this error on an HR21-100. This is a new issue for me, arising since the recent software update.

7. t_h

t_h Icon

Mar 7, 2008
    :lol:

Unexpected errors seem to happen more often when you're recording shows that are on a lot. I suspect its an incorrect error message and what it really means is "I think I already recorded this and dont want to record it again, but i'm not completely sure".

Most of my "unexpected errors" go away when I reduce the number of total recordings scheduled or the number of series links that record excessively, like kids shows.

8. duanej

duanej New Member

Aug 19, 2006
    I also had a number of movies from TCM that didn't record in the last few days. Error 42 or something like that.

9. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    Next time I see Derek Jeter I'll ask him. :lol::lol:

Rich

10. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    But you must see the connection between "Keep until I delete" and "unexpected error". "Ooops" would be a much clearer error message than "unexpected error". Perhaps they (D*) are elevating their CSRs to the programming department.

All the years I've been driving computerized cars, all the years I've been using PCs and Macs, all the years I've played and watched and scored baseball games and I've never seen any statement such as "unexpected error". An error has to unexpected or it wouldn't be an error.

Think of this: The most statistically based game (baseball) has no such thing as an "unexpected error".

Rich

11. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    At least that makes a lot more sense than an "unexpected error". When I see something like "error 42" I imagine a list starting at "error 1".

Find out what that means?

Rich

12. Ken S

Ken S RIP

Feb 12, 2007
    Or the less you use a computer the less likely memory leaks and other bugs are to cause issues. The database could also be suffering from issues when there are many of the same show available. You may be right on your guess on record logic causing the problem...the Tivo units don't seem to suffer from the same problem though.

13. Leftcoastdave

Leftcoastdave Legend

Apr 2, 2004
    Actually folks, this was caused by a DirecTV software error. Many of us noticed that scheduled events were not being recorded last Wednesday evening and the history file reported an enexpected error. This affected most DVR models. When users examined their to-do list, the list was empty despite new recordable shows being in the guide. DirecTV downloaded a new national release on Thursday which corrected the problem. The to-do list then began to repopulate over the next 6-12 hours and operations of the DVR's went back to normal.

14. t_h

t_h Icon

Mar 7, 2008
    That did cause some problems from that time frame. But I've been having these issues for a year now, since I got the HR.

I'm guessing that most people just dont look at their history that often and dig into why something wasnt recorded. Or they dont record the shows or volumes needed to trigger the error, whatever it means.

Back aways Earl said it was giving "the wrong error message", but I never found out what the "right" message was.

15. Leftcoastdave

Leftcoastdave Legend

Apr 2, 2004
    Sorry for the off topic comment, but your post triggered something in my memory bank.

Many many years ago I was a new hire programmer at IBM and was placed on a team responsible to install and maintain IBM mainframe software at an upstate New York facility. Imagine the look on my face when I saw the following diagnostic report on the computer operator's console following an operating system failure:

"This error cannot happen"

DirecTV's reporting of unexpected errors seems to continue this tradition of ambiguity.

16. eBruce

eBruce New Member

Feb 1, 2007
    North Carolina
    Thanks Dave. This is still happening on my unit. How can I tell if I have gotten the "release" from Thursday night??

Thanks!!

17. Leftcoastdave

Leftcoastdave Legend

Apr 2, 2004
    Go to the system menu and drill down to "Info and Test". Your software version should be 0x2cb dated 2/2/09. You can also check your to-do list to see if it is populating correctly. If you do not have the corrective release your to-do list will be empty.

18. AAKent

AAKent New Member

Aug 10, 2007
    My problem turned out to be a loose cable coming into the multiswitch. Not software related at all.

19. Steve

Steve Well-Known Member

Aug 22, 2006
    Lower...
    Just more examples of why this long-standing request has been in the "Top Ten" as long as it's been on the Wish List:

Recording HISTORY should always display the correct reason a show was "Canceled", "Deleted", or "Not Recorded"

/steve

20. DrummerBoy523

DrummerBoy523 Godfather

Jan 9, 2007
    Franklin, TN
    Getting the same thing. We lost "The Last Templar" last night and my wife is screaming mad about it. Was supposed to record and when we got home it says the recording was cancelled because it was no longer available?? Funny thing is that we know it was on!

We also had The Amazing Race SL setup and the history showed it cancelled yet it still recorded thank goodness or I would have been pissd!!