1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Recording Dish Network to Computer

Discussion in 'General DISH™ Discussion' started by Bill Schultz, Apr 20, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bill Schultz

Bill Schultz New Member

Jan 3, 2006
    I'm so tired of waiting for the ability to move or record Dish programming to an external hard drive. If you read the threads on this topic from a year or more ago to today it seems if it's right around the corner but, alas, it's not to be. (Please don't tell me that it's going to happen in the spring, summer, fall, winter, next spring, next summer, next fall next winter, etc.)

My entertainment dream is to be able to "daisey-chain" large capacity external hard drives to capture any program that I want to keep for my own use. I want to have the ability to move the programs from drive to drive once recorded. I want to do it now - I'm tired of waiting.

Can this be accomplished through the use of a computer? If so, are there any directions on how to do it?

If this thread is on the wrong forum, I apologize - I looked and couldn't find a forum that dealt with this topic.

2. James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    The way to save off to a computer is to dub the program through a video capture card. If you are looking for a way to transfer content files from your DVR hard drive to a PC you won't find it here ... that discussion is against the rules of DBSTalk.
    "(m) Discussion about hacking into the content of Personal Video Recorders (PVR's) including digital transfer of undecoded programming from the PVR's hard drive to another medium is prohibited." Source

The topic does come up in our DVR forum and occasionally the 622 forum ... but the answer is the same. Dub via video/audio capture or wait patiently for external USB drives that your 622 can use.

3. dclaryjr

dclaryjr Godfather

Mar 10, 2007
    Interesting timing. I just happen to have a Plextor ConvertX capture device sitting on my desk--the brown Santa Claus (UPS) just delivered it to my office. The plan is to caputure some stuff already on my 622. No HD unfortunately, but I have some other stuff I want to save regardless. But I will run out and buy a honkin' big external once the USB support is turned on.

4. owensdj

owensdj Cool Member

Feb 11, 2007
    I use a Hauppauge TV tuner card to watch and record programming from my Dish Network receiver. The included WinTV software lets me watch, record, and take still shots.

5. bderouen

bderouen Legend

Oct 27, 2006
    Before switching to Dish and a DVR, I had DirecTV and had one of their regular receivers near my computer and a WinTV capture card too. I used it as my DVR and it worked great! Now that I have the DVR, I've not bothered with that, but it's still possible if someone wants to do it

6. Richard King

Richard King Hall Of Fame

Mar 25, 2002
    Ditto. A great device for doing just what the OP wants to do.

7. scooper

scooper Hall Of Fame

Apr 22, 2002
    Youngsville NC
    I use a Hauppage WinPVR250. Works great, and it has an onboard MPEG encoder.

8. Bill Schultz

Bill Schultz New Member

Jan 3, 2006
    Evidently, this process is used by many. Is their any written material around that describes how to hook up once the card is installed?

As information, I have a Toshiba DLP HDTV that is presently used both as a Dish Network receiver through a 942 and a 622 and a monitor for my computer.

9. scooper

scooper Hall Of Fame

Apr 22, 2002
    Youngsville NC
    I hook up using the composite video and analog audio to my TV card.

10. dclaryjr

dclaryjr Godfather

Mar 10, 2007
    I'm having some problems trying to get my USB capture device to work and I'm hoping someone might know what else I can try. The problem is that the one I bought (Plextor ConnectX) doesn't like Vista (on my laptop) so I have to use it on my desktop in another room. It's the room where I have my TV2 from the 622 connected. Since I can't hook the cable directly into the capture device, I tried using a VCR hoping that it would pass the video coming in via the cable out through the "video out" jacks. No dice. Short of finding some 30-40 foot cable so I can connect it directly to the 622, I'm out of ideas. Any help???

11. klm2656

klm2656 Cool Member

Apr 23, 2007

Try forum byopvr.com/dvr/. You will have to use the http prefix

12. John79605

John79605 Legend

Feb 9, 2007

You are on the right track, using the VCR between the 622 and the Plextor. I think you just haven't tuned the vcr to the 622 output (channel 60, perhaps?) or you haven't toggled the vcr's tv/vcr switch to the VCR choice. And are you sure you connected the Plextor to video OUT on the vcr? It can get confusing. It ought to work.

13. dclaryjr

dclaryjr Godfather

Mar 10, 2007
    I use to use this VCR as a tuner for an older TV that had a limited tuner. I used it to get channels 1-99 and used RCA outs to the TV. The difference here is that while the cable-in before carried the signal emcompassing all the channels, that isn't true for the cable coming off the TV2 from the 622. I've tried tuning the VCR to Channel 60 to no avail.

I'm going to haul the desktop into the living room so I can connect it directly to the 622 and make sure it works that way.

Thanks!

14. scooper

scooper Hall Of Fame

Apr 22, 2002
    Youngsville NC
    What channel is the VCR on when you want to view the 622 output ?
    Because this ought to work with no problems - as one of the previous posters said - coax to VCR , video/audio out on VCR to audio/video in on the Plextor box. If this doesn't work - the long cables work pretty well. I do this often enough that I ran cables inside the "columns" and in the attic to get a direct connection :)

15. dclaryjr

dclaryjr Godfather

Mar 10, 2007
    I put the VCR tuner on 60.

16. scooper

scooper Hall Of Fame

Apr 22, 2002
    Youngsville NC
    Sounds like you're having a problem with the Plextor box / it's application.

17. scooper

scooper Hall Of Fame

Apr 22, 2002
    Youngsville NC
    Are both the 622 and your VCR set to "Cable" or OTA ? - they need to match.

18. edgirard

edgirard New Member

Sep 16, 2006
    Hi Bill et al,
    I obtained an ADAPTEC GameBridge AVC-1410 External 2.0 TV Unit on ebay (paid $25. total, including S&H). It can take snapshots or record TV/DBS receiver output.
    Connected RG-6 to Loop-Out rear of receiver to the AVC-1410 with it's output cable to USB 2.0 adapter that is input to pc running XP & the InterVideo Home Theater software included with the AVC-1410.
    On playback it was too fast i.e. not normal speed. So, solving that problem or maybe using same or other software to re-encode the stream to normal speed.
    Sorry, I just haven't figured it all out yet. Good Luck. If I do figure it out I will advise.:)

19. dclaryjr

dclaryjr Godfather

Mar 10, 2007
    I can eliminate that possibility by moving my desktop within wiring range of the 622. I'll do that by this weekend at the latest. There are two guys I work with who swear by this unit. They record stuff all the time that they convert to mp4 and watch on IPODs. I don't plan on doing a lot with it (which is why I don't mind spending the $50 with rebate), but once in a while I record something that I'd like to turn into a video clip.

There is no setting on the VCR that I know of. When I used it before, it just tuned the analog cable coming in to it and passed it to the TV that was connected via the video/audio out connectors. I can't test the old setup now because I don't have cable.

How is "cable/OTA" related to the 622 output?

20. scooper

scooper Hall Of Fame

Apr 22, 2002
    Youngsville NC
    Oh yes there is - you probably need to go into the setup menus of the VCR and tell it to use the same system. 60 cable is NOT at the same frequency as 60 OTA. Ditto on the 622 - I don't have a 622, but I wouldn't be surprised if this is your issue. At worst, hook the coax together, then tell your VCR to do a channel scan.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.