1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Recording First Run Shows

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by linuspbmo, Jul 25, 2013.

1. linuspbmo

linuspbmo AllStar

Oct 2, 2009
    I'm having a problem only recording first run shows. I can set up recording a series and tell it I want only first run shows but some series give me numerous repeats. I thought I read something about this in the past but nothing showed up on search. This only affects some series like Deadliest Catch and Buying Alaska, other series work fine. Is there any work around for this problem?

2. alnielsen

alnielsen Godfather

Dec 31, 2006
    ...- .....
    Some shows don't clearly indicate when they are first runs or repeats in their listings. Because of this, the DVR picks them up. It happens. I review the "To Do List", every once in a while, to see what is being picked up to record.

3. lyradd

lyradd Legend

Mar 20, 2006
    Buying Alaska was originally on Destination America channel and repeated (but listed as first run) on Discovery. Buying Alaska starts with a new season on Destination America 8/3.
    I just love Discovery channel's colon shows, e.g., Deadliest Catch:, usually a repeat with annoying twitter comments and added crap, but end up being recorded as first run.

4. linuspbmo

linuspbmo AllStar

Oct 2, 2009
    I review my to do list every few days and I don't mind having to delete a few shows that are repeats but sometimes it pops up dozens of shows and they take a while to delete. I added Buying Alaska so I could catch the new season and it added over a dozen shows that were repeats. I guess I will have to live with it if there is no way around it.

5. CCarncross

CCarncross Hall Of Fame

Jul 19, 2005
    Jackson
    Some broadcasters just dont bother clearly indicating in their guide data new and repeats so the dvr has literally no way to know

6. Laxguy

Laxguy Honi Soit Qui Mal Y Pense.

Dec 2, 2010
    Winters,...
    You could write Tribune Media Services who are responsible for the tags that tell our DVRs whether a show is new or not. They might give a fig. If they do, they might lean on some content providers to straighten up. Then again, some content providers may figure that if everything is tagged as new, they might get more viewers. It's kinda a crap system, and I am grateful when it works as much as 75%.....

7. p4594spa

p4594spa Mentor

Jul 20, 2006
    Directv gets it directory data from a 3rd party. The 3rd party relies on data from owners of the invidual channels. Those folks sometimes mark items as first run even when there not. I have found certain channels abuse this, so as others have said, you need to review the planned recordings on a regular basis.

8. lyradd

lyradd Legend

Mar 20, 2006
    When you set up your Season Pass make sure you do it from the premier episode, not from an older repeat, and select First Run. That way all those repeats won't be added.

Series that are filmed in Canada can be a big problem. Holmes Makes It Right is an example, filmed in Canada last year but premiering in the U.S. on Aug 6 (DIY channel). First aired date still shows 2012.

9. OlderNDirt

OlderNDirt Mentor

Mar 16, 2007
    Discovery channel schedules episodes of Deadliest Catch reruns well in advance, but evidently does not know which episode will air when during the "marathon", so they submit the schedule with a generic description. With no specific episode, they are unable (evidently) to provide a first air date, so your DVR picks all those episodes up as first run and they show up in your to do list. I ignore them until they are going to air that day or the next and the vast majority of the time, Discovery has provided individual episode information, including first air date, and the DVR then cancels those scheduled recordings.

I am not saying that this is foolproof and will work out that way 100% of the time, but I seem to rarely get to the point any of my programs in this scenario actually do record. And if they do, I just delete them without watching them. I figure that is a small price to pay for the assurance all actual first run programs will record without worry. Just think back to the old VCR days, relax, smile, and enjoy your programs,