1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Recording SD instead of HD

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by rbpeirce, Dec 30, 2011.

1. rbpeirce

rbpeirce Godfather

Feb 23, 2006
    My daughter has FIOS and all the channels are duplicated in SD and HD. If she is watching a show in HD it will be, for example, on 523. In SD it is 023.

To save disk space where HD isn't critical, she records the SD show.

Is that possible with DTV?

2. veryoldschool

veryoldschool Lifetime Achiever Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Dec 9, 2006
    With DirecTV both HD and SD channels have the same number. In the DVR, you need to select hide SD duplicates, hide HD, or show both.

3. rbpeirce

rbpeirce Godfather

Feb 23, 2006
    How do I do that?

Once I do, can I display SD channels while setting up an automatic recording and then switch back to HD for regular viewing?

4. Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet The Shadow Knows!

Jun 18, 2006
    You do that by going to Menu>Settings&Help>Setup>Display and turning off Hide SD duplicates. Select what you want to record and then change it back.

5. veryoldschool

Dec 9, 2006
    Doesn't sound like you have DirecTV yet, but this is in the setup menu, so you make the changes you want to see what channels, and then they will be displayed in the guide. Even with both being displayed, you can always view HD [unless you've selected to hide them].
    "I think" once you get a chance to see how this works, you won't have any problems.

6. JoeTheDragon

JoeTheDragon Hall Of Fame

Jul 21, 2008
    well see how the older fios boxes only have like a 160gb HDD I can see why she does that. The directv boxes have a much better HDD + E-sata.

7. veryoldschool

Dec 9, 2006
    "Plus" DirecTV uses MPEG-4 which uses less space too.

8. rbpeirce

rbpeirce Godfather

Feb 23, 2006
    Thanks. It's been so long since I got HD that I forgot all about this.

9. rbpeirce

rbpeirce Godfather

Feb 23, 2006
    I've had DTV and HD for years, long enough to forget the options. I hid the SD channels a long time ago and forget they were available and how to get them.

10. veryoldschool

Dec 9, 2006
    So I saw in your last post.

11. rbpeirce

rbpeirce Godfather

Feb 23, 2006
    I'm not sure how much capacity I have and it usually isn't a problem, but last Fall we went away and the disk was full when we got back. We missed about a week of programming. Some of it was available via VOD and some through Hulu. Some I recorded on my SD Tivo and transferred to tape. Eventually, we got everything in the correct order.

I could add a bigger drive, and frankly, I don't want to try to change all my programming just because I am going to be away. Hopefully this won't happen again and if it does more of the programs may be available via VOD. This was more a curiosity issue than anything else.

What would be helpful is the ability to record more than two channels at once. I have actually run into a situation where I needed four for one specific time slot. I did two on the HD DVR and two on the SD Tivo. A friend of mine actually had two HD boxes connected to the same TV for this purpose. I am looking forward to the new 5-channel DTV box.

12. veryoldschool

Dec 9, 2006
    This is why I have two HD DVRs sitting next to each other, and with the Whole Home DVR service, either of them shows everything recorded.

13. Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet The Shadow Knows!

Jun 18, 2006
    It's true... I actually run one of my DVR's "headless" - not connected to a TV at all. It just covers certain conflicts.