1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Recording SD programs on HD channel

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by NYSmoker, Dec 20, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. NYSmoker

NYSmoker Icon

Aug 19, 2006
    OK it is almost New Year's Eve and I have gone and scheduled all my favorite Twilight Zone episodes to record on Sci Fi HD, I assume the upconvert will look pretty darn good.

How much available space is being used on my HR20 recording something like this. I understand any HD commercials will obviously take up more space, but what about the actual programs and SD commercials. I have 9-10 hours recording and only about 35% free space left on the drive.

I post this here since it encompasses Programming and HR20 Q and A.

2. Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet The Shadow Knows!

Jun 18, 2006
    A channel being sent in HD takes roughly the same amount of drive space whether it is showing SD content or HD content.

3. NYSmoker

NYSmoker Icon

Aug 19, 2006
    Hmmmm...I might have to reduce my favorites then.

"Time Enough at Last" is a must.

4. tonyd79

tonyd79 Hall Of Fame

Jul 24, 2006
    Columbia, MD
    It is surprising given that the black bars should be pretty much collapsed in the MPEG encoding but my experiments with an HDTivo (MPEG2, of course) shows the about the same file size for the same resolution full screen or pillar box type of broadcast.

5. Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet The Shadow Knows!

Jun 18, 2006
    The way I understand it, and this is just what I've been told...

The HD signals are normalized to a particular bitrate. An MPEG2 HD signal at full bandwidth can be 19.2 Mb/sec, and when the signal is compressed to MPEG4 for satellite delivery, a target bitrate is selected. The bitrate yields varying detail levels depending on its ability to compress.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.