1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Recording the later showing of a show

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by BillPear, Nov 2, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Nov 2, 2007 #1 of 17
    BillPear

BillPear Legend

Mar 7, 2006
    As most of you know there are many shows that are shown more than once a day (Art Mann specifically) is there a way to direct my HR20 to record the later showings? I know I could do it manually but I was hoping it would be smart enough to record the later showing when I set it up as a series link but it always records the earlier show.

2. Nov 2, 2007 #2 of 17
    Redlinetire

Redlinetire Icon

Jul 24, 2007
    I've always just done manual records. As a side benefit, it does avoid guide problems.

3. Nov 2, 2007 #3 of 17
    Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet The Shadow Knows!

Jun 18, 2006
    Is it because you want to record something else in the earlier slot? Just make sure the thing you want to record is higher in the prioritizer. It should then seek out the later recording.

4. Nov 2, 2007 #4 of 17
    jeff125va

jeff125va Godfather

Jun 4, 2007
    Exactly what Stuart Sweet said, unless this is some kind of issue where they are different episodes but the guide data is too bare for the HR20 to know the difference. I have all my prime-time network shows at the top of my list, since they're only on once. After those, I have stuff like World Poker Tour, It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia, etc., since they all come on again at 11 PM or midnight or whenever. I usually do the same with HBO stuff if I'm patient enough to wait a day for it. Although now with HBO-West in HD, that's not an issue any more.

5. Nov 2, 2007 #5 of 17
    Tom Robertson

Tom Robertson Lifetime Achiever DBSTalk Club

Nov 15, 2005
    The completeness of the guide information determines how I handle shows with multiple showings per episode. Things like Mythbusters, and Dirty Jobs that have sufficient guide information for the DVRs (HR10 and HR20) to handle correctly, I just name the show in a Series Link and let the prioritizer pick the showing I typically want anyway.

On the other hand, Comedy Central doesn't like to put guide info in for Daily Show or Colbert Report so I have manual recurring recordings set for the two of them together (with some end padding as they occasionally start a half hour late.) And given that I mirror most of my programming on multiple DVRs in case of hardware failure, I'll have some recording on the early slot and some on the later.

Then we have Nothing but Trailerswhich has neither regular time nor guide information. I have to just record them all, FF thru the trailers we've seen and we're good. And is at the bottom of the prioritizer lists. :)

Cheers,
    Tom

6. Nov 2, 2007 #6 of 17
    2000voltz

2000voltz Legend

Sep 21, 2007
    are you saying that for mythbusters, it automaticly hits the later showing because of conflicts? I had mine set up (first runs.?.) and there was a conflict this coming wednesday and it showed in the to do list as not going to record so I did a man record of the later reshow. are you saying if I would of waited the HR 20 would of grabed it (the later show)?

7. Nov 2, 2007 #7 of 17
    Tom Robertson

Nov 15, 2005
    Yupper.

8. Nov 2, 2007 #8 of 17
    2000voltz

2000voltz Legend

Sep 21, 2007
    how long before it shows up in the to do list? I just caught this this morning and added the man recording...now I wished I would of waited to see what would of happened.

9. Nov 2, 2007 #9 of 17
    Tom Robertson

Nov 15, 2005
    Alas, I've never paid attention to when it picks it up. Seems like perhaps just before the showing, but if there is a housecleaning cycle between, sooner. Just guessing here.

Cheers,
    Tom

10. 2000voltz

2000voltz Legend

Sep 21, 2007
    last ? did you say your SL is set a frist run? Thanks for all the help/info!

11. Tom Robertson

Nov 15, 2005
    I don't have any set for first run, the guide data seems too spotty on that point and we don't mind weeding thru episodes and trimming them out. I'd rather more recordings than not--at least for shows that have episode information in the guide.

Some shows like news and pseudo news that don't have episode info and lots of showings daily like The Daily Show with Jon Stewart, I'll make manual recurring recordings.

Cheers,
    Tom

12. BillPear

BillPear Legend

Mar 7, 2006
    The main reason is that the later airing of the Art Mann show has different editing, there fore I want the later one, as nothing conflicts there is no prioritizer juggling to do. I supose it will just have to be a manual recording:nono: :nono2: :nono:

13. 2000voltz

2000voltz Legend

Sep 21, 2007
    im going to delete my SL of mythbusters and set it back up for the later show at first run and see what it picks up for next week. I'll get my info back to this thread but it will probably be tomorrow before the guide/to do list get caught up into next week.
    are you sure you meant different editing, and not less editing? :)

14. BillPear

BillPear Legend

Mar 7, 2006
    Different=Less in this case:D

15. Tom Robertson

Nov 15, 2005
    For this one, yes, I suggest manual recording. :D

16. rajeshh

rajeshh Godfather

Sep 11, 2007
    So let me understand this correctly:

If Inside the NFL premiers at 7 pm PST on Wed, and I have it set to record only the first runs, and if there is a conflict, are you saying subsequent airings of that show that week will be treated as a first run by the DVR fort the purpose of recording that show?

17. Tom Robertson

Nov 15, 2005
    All depends on how fully HBO populates the guide data. HBO could fill the Episode # field and set First Run to yes for the entire week of shows. Then the DVR would know it could pick the first one that didn't conflict with a higher priority Series Link.

What all too often happens is Episode # and/or First Run are not populated correctly by many content providers so we have to go thru major pains to convince the DVRs what we want, not what it thought we said.

Cheers,
    Tom

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.