1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Recording tips

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by kram, Jun 3, 2013.

1. Jun 3, 2013 #1 of 21
    kram

kram Godfather

Sep 3, 2006
    HR44-500; 0x6d8. "Recording Tips" option is Off, but they display anyway. It's driving me nuts. Any ideas before I call Case Management?

Thanks.

2. Jun 3, 2013 #2 of 21
    inkahauts

inkahauts Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2006
    Ah turn them on then off again. Not really a case management issue IMHO.

3. Jun 3, 2013 #3 of 21
    jimmie57

jimmie57 Hall Of Fame

Jun 26, 2010
    Texas City, TX
    I have read several times that you must schedule 5 6 Series before you can turn them off for sure.
    It's like they wanted to make sure that you had done enough of them to know how it works before they let you turn it off.

Edit: Corrected number of recordings

4. Jun 3, 2013 #4 of 21
    CCarncross

CCarncross Hall Of Fame

Jul 19, 2005
    Jackson
    SOmeone pointed out in another thread you have to have 6 SL's set up.

5. Jun 3, 2013 #5 of 21
    peds48

peds48 Genius. DBSTalk Club

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    yep, six SLs is the right number

Sent from my iPad using DBSTalk mobile app

6. Jun 3, 2013 #6 of 21
    acostapimps

acostapimps Hall Of Famer

Nov 5, 2011
    Illinois
    It doesn't show on the HR44 but I did setup 7 SL's, even without series links it didn't show anything with recording tips off.

7. Jun 3, 2013 #7 of 21
    peds48

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    It doesn't show on the HR44 but I did setup 7 SL's, even without series links it didn't show anything with recording tips off.

I think it takes a couple of days before you start seeing the messsage

8. Jun 4, 2013 #8 of 21
    kram

kram Godfather

Sep 3, 2006
    I don't use series recordings. Never have. The tip (only one: "You can record this program by pressing R") didn't start showing up until last week. Is there no other way to get rid of it? What does recording series have to do with this tip?

9. Jun 4, 2013 #9 of 21
    Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet The Shadow Knows!

Jun 18, 2006
    The tip is there to help people get started with their DVRs. I realize you're not using this device for recording, and maybe it's not fair that you can't turn that warning off, but as I and many people here have stated, simply set up a bunch of series links and the problem will go away. If you don't actually want things to record, use criteria that will result in no recordings (such as only recording new episodes of Matlock, because there are no new episodes of Matlock.)

Case Management will not get you any more results than the people on this forum will, other than possibly issuing you a credit to compensate for your annoyance level.

10. kram

kram Godfather

Sep 3, 2006
    The tip is there to help people get started with their DVRs. I realize you're not using this device for recording, and maybe it's not fair that you can't turn that warning off, but as I and many people here have stated, simply set up a bunch of series links and the problem will go away. If you don't actually want things to record, use criteria that will result in no recordings (such as only recording new episodes of Matlock, because there are no new episodes of Matlock.)

Case Management will not get you any more results than the people on this forum will, other than possibly issuing you a credit to compensate for your annoyance level.

Thanks for the tip, Stuart. Will setting up the SLs and then deleting them also work?

11. CCarncross

CCarncross Hall Of Fame

Jul 19, 2005
    Jackson
    I believe they would come back, but you can give it try. There have got to be 6 shows that you watch every week, why would you not want to use SL's for those shows? Its probably the biggest reason to even have a dvr, it automatically records your shows for you and you can watch them at your convenience.

12. peds48

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    Thanks for the tip, Stuart. Will setting up the SLs and then deleting them also work?

Hmmmm, good question, and I am not sure since I have a bunch of SLs

13. jdspencer

jdspencer Hall Of Fame

Nov 7, 2003
    Really??? SLs are the best thing since sliced bread!

14. kram

kram Godfather

Sep 3, 2006
    SL never worked in the past -- it always recorded multiple copies of the exact same episode even though "First Run" was selected -- although I haven't tried it for a few years. Since I'm willing to give it another try, I just set up the requisite number of SLs. Now I'll just wait and see what happens. Thanks.

15. peds48

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    SL never worked in the past -- it always recorded multiple copies of the exact same episode even though "First Run" was selected -- although I haven't tried it for a few years. Since I'm willing to give it another try, I just set up the requisite number of SLs. Now I'll just wait and see what happens. Thanks.

A lot of things have changed in 3 years.....

16. CCarncross

CCarncross Hall Of Fame

Jul 19, 2005
    Jackson
    I t does depend slightly on what you are trying to setup SL's for. You want to record Jon Stewart or Colbert every day, it may give a few duplicates, because the guide data from Comedy Central is terrible for those shows....You want to record Hawaii-Five-O on CBS, or something like Justified on FX, it works pretty flawlessly. But I pose this question to you....what takes less time, deleting the few duplicates, or manually setting up to record your shows each night or week? I can't imagine that if it was important enough for you to get a 5-tuner DVR that you dont record a decent amount of tv, meaning it must keep you a little busy setting up all your recordings manually.

17. kram

kram Godfather

Sep 3, 2006
    Yes, it does take a bit of time. But because it never worked for me in the past (and I do realize that the technology has improved over the years), I always want to make sure that the shows get recorded. That's why I've continued to do it manually. But I'll try to teach this old dog some new tricks and see what happens!

18. acostapimps

acostapimps Hall Of Famer

Nov 5, 2011
    Illinois
    when I'm recording a show and I flip channels and come back to the same recording I see the "Press << To Watch The Beginning" message only when I come back to the recording in process channel.

19. jimmie57

jimmie57 Hall Of Fame

Jun 26, 2010
    Texas City, TX
    When you first set up a Series to record it will record the first one that comes up on the schedule, even if it a year or 2 old. It does this because it has no history to compare to so that episode is new to the DVR.
    After that it works great. I keep about 40 set up all the time and usually about half of those are out of season.
    Keep the programs on the national channels, Like CBS at the top of the list. That sets the priority of what will or will not get recorded if you have too many set to record.

20. CCarncross

CCarncross Hall Of Fame

Jul 19, 2005
    Jackson
    Another reason to have the local networks at the top of your priority list is they tend to show those once, whereas stations like FX will play the same episode at least twice on premiere night and sometimes several more times during the week.