1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Recording to DVD via Laptop

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Tips and Resources' started by kajpin, May 16, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kajpin

kajpin New Member

May 8, 2007
    I have searched the forums and can't seem to find quite the right answer to this, so bear with me here.

We have a propensity of stacking up a LOT of programming...so after one week with the HR20 and HD we have already hit 50% capacity! So it is time to find a way to save programs for later viewing on dvd. I realize I can't save away HD quality on dvd, but hopefully if I pair a great upconverting dvd player with my 1080p tv the PQ won't be that degraded.

Anyway, the question is...what is the easiest way to transfer/capture video from previously recorded shows/movies on my laptop to burn to dvd?

As I understand it you can't just copy the recorded file but have to capture the feed real time. Generally I'm ok with this...albeit unnecessarily difficult, but what do I need on my laptop to capture the video/audio feed out of the dvr?

Thanks in advance

K

2. chris89c

chris89c Cool Member

Mar 9, 2007
    You would need a usb video capture device. But I have been using a $98 DVD recorder from walmart with very good results. The model is a RCA DRC8052N I could not find it on the walmart site but I think they still carry them in the stores.

3. quadriplegicjon

quadriplegicjon New Member

Jun 12, 2007

what about just saving them to your computers harddrive as a backup. is that possible?

4. TampaGator

TampaGator New Member

Nov 17, 2006
    Good question...is there no way to archive recorded material, (especially HD) to another medium?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.