1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Recordings deleted by viewer-- Huh???

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by veryoldschool, Jun 4, 2010.

1. Jun 4, 2010 #1 of 33
    veryoldschool

veryoldschool Lifetime Achiever Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Dec 9, 2006
    Setup:
    3 DVRs all networked.
    2 have share playlist and delete from all rooms.
    1 has share playlist off and remote delete off. This one has the playlist set to local only.

Two viewers here, so "shared" is for me and "not shared" is for the other viewer.

Had the new season premiere of Royal Pains setup to record on all DVRs.

I went to watch this and it was gone. Checked history and it shows "deleted by viewer". Checked my second [backup] DVR and it shows the same thing.
    SAY WHAT??????

Checked the 86 year old great grandmother's DVR and it showed deleted by viewer.
    Asked about this and was told she deleted the recording, thinking it was a re-run, without watching.
    Next I hear something about her having to change from the UPL back to local.

This isn't the end of the world since there is a second airing tonight, BUT:

Unless there is some setting that I don't know about, This points out a flaw in the current MRV software!

There is no way to have a Connected Home network and have Whole Home DVR service and restrict remote deleted from one location
    , without losing remote deleting from ALL LOCATIONS.

While some may not have to deal with a 86 year old great grandmother, I'm sure there are other customers that would find this lack of control a problem too.

I use her for my "how does mom & pop deal use DirecTV" and in this case DirecTV FAILS big time. :(

:rant:

Hopefully this is "constructive feedback"

2. Jun 4, 2010 #2 of 33
    Sharkie_Fan

Sharkie_Fan Hall Of Fame

Sep 26, 2006
    I don't have 86 year old great grandmother, but I do have 2 year old and 6 year old wild and crazy little Sharkies running around.... I haven't had them delete anything of importance on me yet, but I'm sure at some point one of them will hit the wrong button and it'll happen.

(Hopefully) not to sidetrack your thread too much, but this brings up another flaw, in my mind. I would like the DVR in my kids room to share the playlist but not see any others. I can set the playlist to local, but after a power outage and/or reboot it doesn't remember that (or, I should say it hasn't been remembering that - I don't know if that's a correction that has perhaps been made in one of the recent CEs and I haven't seen it).

Either way, it would be ideal to be able to set a DVR to 'server only' mode. That way I can record all the kids shows in one location, but watch them anywhere in the house, but they cannot access (or delete) any other recordings.

3. Jun 4, 2010 #3 of 33
    veryoldschool

Dec 9, 2006
    In a way it's the same flaw, since this was what triggered the remote delete.
    So there are two requests here:

1. be able to have local playlist "stick" after a reboot.
    2. be able to select which DVR has remote delete "power" and which don't have it. With a single or two DVR home, this isn't that big of an issue, but [clearly] with three it is!
    #1 was the cause & #2 would have prevented it.

4. Jun 4, 2010 #4 of 33
    Alan Gordon

Alan Gordon Chancellor

Jun 7, 2004
    Dawson, Georgia
    I've complained about this in the past as well... :(

I've also complained about not having the ability to only allow CERTAIN receivers to have access to your Playlist... unlike the current setup which is ALL OR NOTHING (just like Remote Delete). :(

~Alan

5. Jun 4, 2010 #5 of 33
    veryoldschool

Dec 9, 2006
    We had work-a-rounds for most of this until MRV went national [no more opt in/out].
    While I've always thought the UPL "sucked" as the only option, the lack of control over remote delete bit me in the A$$ tonight. :(

6. Jun 4, 2010 #6 of 33
    armchair

armchair Hall Of Fame

Jul 27, 2009
    I'm all for adding extra dimensions to the share list; I also saw it as a problem when the third DVR was DECA'd-in for Whole-Home-DVR Service.

A new DVR came into the house and the oldest one left but we opted to swap locations with two of the DVR's which put one in a room with a teenager viewing it with most of the existing programs locked via parental locks. She failed to understand the fact that the wife and I could still view that content from other rooms and promptly deleted all shows that were blocked.

We had her DVR set to local list only but there is no parental lock to keep it that way. A selectable share list would help but then what's to stop the viewer that's blocked from just opting not to share their playlist? That could be protected via parental locks also.

The deleted shows could not be protected from deletion either. That could also be added to parental locks.

It was a step backwards, but we decided to remove the DECA adapter to protect the shows on the other two DVR's.

7. Jun 4, 2010 #7 of 33
    Spanky_Partain

Spanky_Partain Active Member

Dec 7, 2006
    RW/R privlidges can be defined very easily on each DVR and the share list.

8. Jun 4, 2010 #8 of 33
    ffemtreed

ffemtreed Icon

Jan 30, 2008
    maybe DTV could come up with a way to lock a recording from being deleted with a PIN# kind of like an advanced keep button.

I bet household with lots of kids or guests that come and go would love this kind of feature.

9. Jun 4, 2010 #9 of 33
    veryoldschool

Dec 9, 2006
    :confused:
    Not sure what you mean by RW/R privileges.
    With 3 DVRs networked, how or what settings allow remote delete from #1 & #2 and not #3? :confused:

10. webby_s

webby_s Hall Of Fame

Jan 11, 2008
    Do you mean the definition of RW/R or what Spanky_Partain is talking about?

I look at that as Read Write/Read. But I assume you knew that! :)

11. Spanky_Partain

Dec 7, 2006
    Correct. READ/WRITE - file settings to read and write. Write privilege allows delete. READ is read only or view the recording, no delete. Each DVR will have this setting for the shared list. Looking at the individual setting on that DVR, should be able to mark the files appropriately. With a little programing in the MRV interface could even gray out or remove the option to delete depending on the file setting for that DVR.

12. veryoldschool

Dec 9, 2006
    So what you're posting is one way to change the code.
    Another way would be to simply be able to select remote privileges by DVR.
    This might be a bit harder, as DVRs may come & go from the network, but "something" more needs to be done to the rudimentary settings we have now.
    During the Beta period we had this control, and now we don't, short of removing a DVR from the network completely.

13. Spanky_Partain

Dec 7, 2006
    Even the "Information Screen" reports if the recording list is from a remote system or a local recording, sounds like the beginning of an "if/then" statement to me. It should be very easy to set file permissions on remote listings so they can be a read only or a read/write permission.

They should even be able to squeeze something in for the CE tonight. Simple network file management.

14. Ken984

Ken984 Active Member

Dec 31, 2005
    Bossier...
    I had this happen as well. My son decided 3 days after my deca install that he did not want to see any of "our" programs on his dvr. He deleted everything in the list that he did not record. Please DirecTV fix this we are now paying $3 a month and it needs to be a LOT more customizable.
    Maybe a keyword search to allow advanced users to have more control, like the 30slip/skip.

15. Lee L

Lee L Hall Of Fame

Aug 15, 2002
    Sounds like a great way to lose the privelege of having your own DVR and or TV to me. ;)

But I agree the way they handle the UPL and the sharing is not good and I have always thought it sucked. Now we are seeing a little more concrete real world examples with time going by.

16. Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet The Shadow Knows!

Jun 18, 2006
    I'm moving this to the HD/DVR forum.

17. Smuuth

Smuuth Well-Known Member

Oct 4, 2005
    I believe the simplest way to do this would be to add a "Lock" option to each recording. Once locked, the recording could not be deleted from anywhere unless the "Lock" pin was entered.

The "Lock" option could be a third option under "Keep Until:" in the Recording Defaults settings. It could also be set up to be a third option with the blue button when viewing the playlist.

18. veryoldschool

Dec 9, 2006
    This may be the simplest for coding, but not on the user's side, as I see it.
    Being able to select locations that can and can't do this would be so much easier from the user's point of view.
    I can just see needing to enter a PIN for every recording I want to delete. :eek2:
    "No Thanks"

19. The Merg

The Merg 1*

Jun 24, 2007
    Northern VA
    So the issue is really that when the one receiver rebooted, it reverted back to the UPL and the user at that receiver saw mutiple versions of Royal Pain being recorded and deleted the duplicates thinking they were initially viewing only their PlayList, correct?

I do agree that the UPL/Local PlayList setting should be saved for when the receiver resets, just like the Channel Favorite list you are currently using.

- Merg

20. veryoldschool

Dec 9, 2006
    "Basically" that's how it started, but it also pointed out the flaw that the "non Beta" version of MRV has too.
    How does one control remote deleting from more than 2 DVRs?
    Currently we have "all or none", just like the playlist options.
    "Before" we had MRV on/off [opt in/out] and now the only way I see is to pull the network connection, and being DECA/connected home, it isn't that easy. :(