1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Recordings Skipping

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by Bmikuta, Oct 20, 2009.

1. Bmikuta

Bmikuta New Member

Jul 5, 2008
    Hey all. I have a HR21-700 running 0x34c and the majority of my recordings are skipping. I will be watching and the screen and sound will freeze for a second or two and then it starts to play again. Anyone else been having this problem?

2. litzdog911

litzdog911 Well-Known Member

Jun 23, 2004
    Mill Creek, WA
    All channels? Just SD? Just HD channels?
    Do you have other HD Receivers or HD DVRs? Do they have the same problem?

Lots of things can cause this, so we need more info.

3. Bmikuta

Bmikuta New Member

Jul 5, 2008
    It's only happening on my receiver down stairs and it only on shows that I have recorded. Both SD and HD.

4. Rich

Rich DBSTalk Club DBSTalk Club

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    Try unplugging the HR for about twelve hours. Helped me a lot.

Rich

5. jdspencer

jdspencer Hall Of Fame

Nov 7, 2003
    Is it really skipping or possibly freezing and then starting from there? That is what I has seen a few times lately. It might be related to the brrrpppp problem.

6. Bmikuta

Bmikuta New Member

Jul 5, 2008
    The video and sounds will stop for a second and pick back up where it should be.

Thanks Rich, I'll give it a try tonight.

7. jdspencer

jdspencer Hall Of Fame

Nov 7, 2003
    Yup, I've seen/heard this as well, but it doesn't happen very often. Maybe the power cycle reboot will help.

8. JasonVW

JasonVW Cool Member

Oct 27, 2006
    Ive got the same problem on my HR20-700. I will try the unplug to see.

9. mdavej

mdavej Hall Of Fame

Jan 30, 2007
    I have the same problem on my HR20-700. Seems to be a lot more drive activity than there used to be too. And I never use Double Play. I think there are some background tasks that weren't there before. Haven't tried unplugging for 12 hrs. I don't see how that could do any more than a RBR.

10. TomCat

TomCat Broadcast Engineer

Aug 31, 2002
    I have this problem on a 20-100 when it is on the X drive (Seagate 1.5 TB). A reset seems to fix it for a day or so.

Try this:

Pause live TV long enough for the screen saver to launch (even better if you have two recordings going). Now watch the SS make its little "pong" loop. Is it smooth and uninterrupted? Or does it pause half a dozen times every trip from one side of the screen to the other. An occasional pause every 15-30 seconds doesn't indicate much, but a constant pattern of pause/unpause indicates the OS is probably paging virtual memory like a bandit. It seems like maybe there is a memory leak at work here, but that is really just speculation. But the fact that a reset fixes it for a while seems to support that theory. The SS is probably a low-level priority thread, so it should be an indicator if the system is thrashing.

11. Rich

Rich DBSTalk Club DBSTalk Club

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    Haven't touched that red button in years on the recommendation of someone who I and the rest of the forum trusted very much. I follow that recommendation out of blind faith in that man.

Don't know why the long unplugging works, aside from the obvious draining of capacitors or if a shorter or longer period would work better or worse. Just know what happened to my six 20-700s that were going mildly berserk before I did it and they calmed down afterward. If I find something that works, I'm not in the habit of dissecting it searching for reasons.

Rich

12. vincentc77

vincentc77 New Member

Nov 26, 2007
    I started to have the same issue a few days ago. Reset, unplug, ect didn't fix it. DTV insisted that it was the signal during the recordings... Hummm strange that I never see signal issues when I'm watching, but many recordings that were done withing the last three weeks were unwatchable. Receiver was also much more unresponsive than usual. I also heard the HD spiining up and down. After a long arqument with a "supervisor" a tech came out and recplaced the unit. Im positive it was the hd failing.

13. MattWarner

MattWarner Legend

Feb 11, 2007
    I have the same issue with my HR20-700 since receiving the latest national release (the one before the current one spooling out now). I think you'll find that the pause occurs when you hear the hard drive thrashing around like crazy. Mark the time the pause occurs (for example: 8:03pm). If you have another recording going on that started at 8:00pm, switch to it and fast forward to 8:03p. You'll find a glitch and about two seconds of missing video.

Something DirecTV did with the software is causing the HR20 to pause/freeze or otherwise become occupied and it just chokes for about 2-3 seconds. I'm hoping they will fix this in an upcoming release (although I don't have hope for the new NR that is spooling out now).

14. jerseyreef

jerseyreef AllStar

Jun 8, 2007
    I had the same issues with my HR21-100 since the last NR. I was able to go into the advanced HD ulititly menu and run some disk tests. I was able to pass the short and SMART tests, but couldn't pass the long SMART test.

Working with Case Management, we tried to scan the surface of the HD, that wouldn't complete. We then tried to reformat the HD, that didn't complete either.

My HR21-100 was replaced with a new HR22-100 and they waived the shipping fee.

I would recommend that you run the diagnostic tools, if you're unable to complete or pass them, you need to speak with Case Management at D* and work toward resolution.

Thanks,

JerseyReef - Mike