1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Recordings tied to Receiver (why not Access Card or Account?)

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by CTskydiver, Oct 4, 2010.

1. Oct 4, 2010 #1 of 47
    CTskydiver

CTskydiver Cool Member

Jan 18, 2009
    What are the odds DirecTV can change their software so that recordings could be tied to the Access Card instead of the receiver?

Still dreading the day my receiver dies and I lose access to the hundreds of hours of content on the hard drive -- even if the hard drive itself is still well or has been backed up.

My sister just had a receiver go bad, and of course they promptly sent her a new one but she lost several television series (including the entire Season 6 of LOST) and movies she hadn't had a chance to view yet. And she only had the stock size hard disk, not the 2TB behemoth I have.

It's a shame that I could plug my external into a new box and even swap access cards but DirecTV still can't allow me to access MY recordings on any potential replacement receiver.

How hard would it be to tie recordings not to the box that recorded them but to the access card (if not user account)? What practical reasons are there that this is not done already (apart from perhaps that the very small percentage of users using external storage today aren't deemed worthy of this effort)?

2. Oct 4, 2010 #2 of 47
    matt

matt New Member

Jan 11, 2010
    We have all talked about this ad-nauseum. Someday hopefully it will be tied to the account.

Hopefully they don't tie it to the CAM since you don't reuse it in your replacement receiver.

3. Oct 4, 2010 #3 of 47
    litzdog911

litzdog911 Well-Known Member

Jun 23, 2004
    Mill Creek, WA
    They should at least provide a way to transfer recordings from one DVR to a replacement DVR. Unfortunately that's simply not how it works today.

4. Oct 4, 2010 #4 of 47
    Doug Brott

Doug Brott Lifetime Achiever DBSTalk Club

Jul 12, 2006
    Los Angeles
    consider this a maybe down the road situation, but right now, it's not possible.

5. Oct 4, 2010 #5 of 47
    RBTO

RBTO Legend

Apr 11, 2009
    How about everyone reading this thread pick a random number in the range from 0 to 100? Count that many days and send D* a inquiry suggesting they tie the recordings to the account. Maybe D* would get the message and it wouldn't be a blitz with everyone writing them at once.
    I agree, it's a real bummer to have a machine go bad or trade out a machine to get the next great feature D* offers (e.g., 3D) and have your recordings go into that great black hole D* now provides.

6. Oct 4, 2010 #6 of 47
    hasan

hasan Well-Known Member

Sep 22, 2006
    Ogden, IA
    It would also make eSATA drives more practical, so when a sat box dies, the recordings on the eSATA could be used with the replacement receiver.

Having the drives married to the account is the right way to go, and D*'s inaction on this issue does not reflect well on their concern for customers' recordings.

7. Oct 4, 2010 #7 of 47
    billsharpe

billsharpe Hall Of Fame

Jan 25, 2007
    Southern...
    We've been "down this road" for a couple years now. One would think that the brains at DirecTV could figure out a way to do this if they really wanted to.

So far I haven't lost a hard disk and I don't keep too many programs on it but my wife would really be upset if she lost the few shows that we do record.

8. Oct 5, 2010 #8 of 47
    Rich

Rich DBSTalk Club DBSTalk Club

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    I really don't see how they could do the "make every HDD on every HR playable by every HR in the account" thing without supporting the eSATA function and I don't want to see that happen. I've been for it for several years, but after considering the now unsupported eSATA function that allows us to use any external setup we want, I don't think I want lose that flexibility.

Rich

9. Oct 5, 2010 #9 of 47
    jdspencer

jdspencer Hall Of Fame

Nov 7, 2003
    Before I even consider adding an external eSATA drive, they need to allow some method to connect the external to a different DVR on the same account. This way, you don't lose the recordings when the DVR needs to be replaced. Even if it requires a CSR to make it happen.

10. jimmie57

jimmie57 Hall Of Fame

Jun 26, 2010
    Texas City, TX
    I filled out their form today and sent a message suggesting that they make the HD DVRs with only the eSata drive and tie it to the customer's account number and not to the receiver.
    With no internal Hard Drive this should also bring the Internal Operating Temps down a little also.

11. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    I'd probably feel that way if I only had one or two HRs. I have twelve, eleven with either internal or external large (at least 1.5TB) HDDs. So I back everything up with multiple HRs. And don't care if an HR or an HDD goes south. I realize this is overkill, but I've solved the problem within the box, since there are no options outside the box.

I've run at least two threads on this subject and they both died. Not enough people interested, until their HR fails and they lose all their recordings. Then they get interested. This lack of interest is what is holding up the tying of ALL HRs to ALL HDDs on the same account. That, and the minor problem with D* not supporting the eSATA function. Don't see why they couldn't leave the eSATA function unsupported and just go ahead and tie the recordings to the account and not the HR that recorded the content.

I've given this some thought since I last posted and as long as they leave the eSATA function as it is now, I'm all for it.

Rich

12. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    They deliberately made the HRs not function without an internal a few NRs ago. Prior to that you could disconnect the internal drive and boot up on an external drive. You can still do it, but it's a complicated procedure. None of my HRs run over the HR's normal temps. The internal drive isn't the problem.

Rich

13. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    Perhaps dish owning a patent for EHD tied to an account ?

14. susanandmark

susanandmark Godfather

Feb 15, 2007
    As someone with 6 HD DVRs and 4 eSATA drives, this is also something I'd love to see. Upgrading or replacing a box shouldn't mean you lose hundreds of hours of recorded shows. It's easy enough to limit via account, not just box.

15. 1948GG

1948GG Icon

Aug 4, 2007
    This is THE main reason why any 'whole home' or 'interconnected' systems (like those currently in use by DirecTV) are simply not ready now, and probably will never be ready for real world use (if the general opinion holds, as repeated here, that it probably won't ever be changed).

Many folks, including myself, have designed and built several systems utilizing off-the-shelf components to 'de-link' recorded material from the dvr's, and recent developments have opened the possibility for additional ways to protect your investment.

16. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    Can you "de-link" the HDDs from the HRs? Sort of "divorcing" them from the HR that recorded them? I can't believe it's impossible.

Rich

17. Richierich

Richierich Hall Of Fame

Jan 10, 2008
    I read your Post and I would really really like to know how to do this as RICH584 and myself have been asking the recordings be tied to the owner's account number now for years to no avail.

Any Info or Links would be Greatly Appreciated!!! Please feel free to PM me as your PM Box is Full!!!

Thanks.

18. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    If I read his post correctly, I can see why his PM box is full.

Rich

19. Doug Brott

Doug Brott Lifetime Achiever DBSTalk Club

Jul 12, 2006
    Los Angeles
    Guys .. he's copying the content in some way shape or form. You cannot simply move the hardware around at this time.

I think that there is a chance this will happen one day, but let's be honest. When you consider every DIRECTV customer, is this a high priority item or a "would be nice to have" item? Clearly it falls into the latter because, generally speaking, there is no need to do this. It's the fringe cases where it is needed (OCD or real world system failure). In most cases things just work so it's a non-issue.

20. Mike Bertelson

Mike Bertelson 6EQUJ5 WOW! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Jan 24, 2007
    I would love to see this as high priority item but I agree that the percentage of customers who will make use of this so small that it's not going to happen.

Not to mention that with MRV the only reason to have this is if the receiver dies with the drive intact. Otherwise it's really a non-issue. :shrug:

Mike