DBSTalk Forum banner

Recourse for Missed Install Appt?

5K views 33 replies 13 participants last post by  joe diamond 
#1 ·
Hello. I am a longtime DTV subscriber. A week ago i placed an order for the new Whole Home DVR Service. I was given an 8am to noon slot for the installation today. On Friday, DTV called to confirm the appointment. This morning I received an automated call from the DTV subcontractor confirming the AM install appointment and they told me to call if i wanted to know, more definitively, when in the 8-12 window they would show up. I called and they said the installer would have to call me back.

The installer called and said the install would have to be slipped to 1 or 2pm. I reluctantly said OK. At 2:30, the installer calls and tells me that they don't have the parts/receivers they need to do the install, so they have to reschedule. I spoke to the supervisor and got the same story.

I live in the DC Metro area and the installer is AEG Communications.

Of course, i am livid as i took off the entire day from work. I called DTV and they offered me $15 off my bill for 6 months, which is not even close to what i lost in revenue at my office.

What experience have others had in having DTV "compensate" either in reduced montly fees or otherwise for missing appointments. I don't expect them to pay me cash, but given that i have the highest level of service and that I've had that service for a long time, i think 6 months free service would be reasonable.

What have others received for missed install appointments.

See less See more
#6 ·
jacobp said:

Of course, i am livid as i took off the entire day from work. I called DTV and they offered me $15 off my bill for 6 months, which is not even close to what i lost in revenue at my office.

What experience have others had in having DTV "compensate" either in reduced montly fees or otherwise for missing appointments. I don't expect them to pay me cash, but given that i have the highest level of service and that I've had that service for a long time, i think 6 months free service would be reasonable.

6 months free? :lol: Too funny. $600+ for a missed appointment? :lol:

You should get a credit of $50 & be happy.

#8 ·
ndole_mbnd said:
RobertE, have you noticed the recently missing OTG metric? We don't see it on our end any more. I wonder if they're even still offering it to customers at all.
The OTG was replaced with the WMT FSR's because it was too easy to avoid the OTG's by placing yourself onsite within the timeframe regardless of where you were.

as to the C note to the customer, not sure.

#9 ·
ndole_mbnd said:
RobertE, have you noticed the recently missing OTG metric? We don't see it on our end any more. I wonder if they're even still offering it to customers at all.
Yep. As netraa notes, just got those dumba$$ FSRs for every stupid thing under the sun.

netraa said:
The OTG was replaced with the WMT FSR's because it was too easy to avoid the OTG's by placing yourself onsite within the timeframe regardless of where you were.

as to the C note to the customer, not sure.
I think they dropped the compensation down to $50 as well.

#10 ·
jacobp said:
Hello. I am a longtime DTV subscriber. A week ago i placed an order for the new Whole Home DVR Service. I was given an 8am to noon slot for the installation today. On Friday, DTV called to confirm the appointment. This morning I received an automated call from the DTV subcontractor confirming the AM install appointment and they told me to call if i wanted to know, more definitively, when in the 8-12 window they would show up. I called and they said the installer would have to call me back.

The installer called and said the install would have to be slipped to 1 or 2pm. I reluctantly said OK. At 2:30, the installer calls and tells me that they don't have the parts/receivers they need to do the install, so they have to reschedule. I spoke to the supervisor and got the same story.

I live in the DC Metro area and the installer is AEG Communications.

Unfortunatly this does happen in this business. Appointments run late, and equipment can be sparce. He probably had to replace an IRD on a nasty service call, and didn't have what he needed for your upgrade afterward. If this was McDonalds we were talking about, they'd give you a free french fry. Not a $500.00 gift card.

#11 ·
RobertE said:
Yep. As netraa notes, just got those dumba$$ FSRs for every stupid thing under the sun.

I think they dropped the compensation down to $50 as well.
Hmm..
It'll be interesting to see what our HSP does about this change. Our service bonus was completely nullified for the week if we had to pay an OTG to one of our own customers. A WMT doesn't actually mean that they got paid.. so, hmm..
This could be very good!

#12 ·
I would say $90 is a decent deal for a missed appointment like the others said ($15 x 6months = $90). Comcast never gave me anything when they missed their appointments.

#13 ·
ndole_mbnd said:
Hmm..
It'll be interesting to see what our HSP does about this change. Our service bonus was completely nullified for the week if we had to pay an OTG to one of our own customers. A WMT doesn't actually mean that they got paid.. so, hmm..
This could be very good!
The HSP forces the routes then charges if you can't make their schedule.
How do you do competent work when you get four AM installations?

I could go on.

Joe

#14 ·
A couple years ago I had TWO back to back missed appointments. DirecTV gave $10.00 off my bill for 6 months. When I didn't see the credits I called to inquire; I got a CSR on the phone who called me a liar. She said she had no record of anyone ever authorizing that, even though I had the name of the person I had spoken with. She then told me I was being greedy even asking about the credits. :bang

I would take their offer, but make sure you get the name and employee number of the CSR who you speak with.

#15 ·
chris83 said:
A couple years ago I had TWO back to back missed appointments. DirecTV gave $10.00 off my bill for 6 months. When I didn't see the credits I called to inquire; I got a CSR on the phone who called me a liar. She said she had no record of anyone ever authorizing that, even though I had the name of the person I had spoken with. She then told me I was being greedy even asking about the credits. :bang

I would take their offer, but make sure you get the name and employee number of the CSR who you speak with.
Wow. That's worse than the missed appointments. :nono2:

#16 ·
jacobp said:
Of course, i am livid as i took off the entire day from work.
I'm not going to appologize for DirecTV; what they did wasn't right.

However, it doesn't make sense to take time off work for something like this given that DirecTV offers installations 7 days a week...

#17 ·
BattleZone said:
I'm not going to appologize for DirecTV; what they did wasn't right.

However, it doesn't make sense to take time off work for something like this given that DirecTV offers installations 7 days a week...
Shhhh! I've got plans this weekend!

A customer I had last year.. "Man, I'm suprised that they made you work on the 4th of July."
He made the appointment. What a jerk!

#18 ·
ndole_mbnd said:
Shhhh! I've got plans this weekend!

A customer I had last year.. "Man, I'm suprised that they made you work on the 4th of July."
He made the appointment. What a jerk!
I get the same thing nearly every weekend (especially Sunday) and every holiday. "Wow, I'm surprise you are working today..."

It never occurs to them that the reason I'm working on that day is because they chose to be scheduled that day...

#19 ·
BattleZone said:
I get the same thing nearly every weekend (especially Sunday) and every holiday. "Wow, I'm surprise you are working today..."

It never occurs to them that the reason I'm working on that day is because they chose to be scheduled that day...
I would never schedule an install for a holiday or weekend. A service call...maybe. But a generous tip would be in order.

#20 ·
ndole_mbnd said:
Unfortunatly this does happen in this business. Appointments run late, and equipment can be sparce. He probably had to replace an IRD on a nasty service call, and didn't have what he needed for your upgrade afterward. If this was McDonalds we were talking about, they'd give you a free french fry. Not a $500.00 gift card.
you don't call McDonalds days ahead of time and tell them you want a specific order and have them give you a time frame to pick it up, or deliver it to you. In South Korea, McDonalds does deliver, but not in USA.

I've commented on a few threads like this in my time on here. Again, I do have sympathy for the installer as they are overworked. But they are being paid. The OP had to take a day off work and that's unfortunate. Some people work every day. What if he worked a 12 or 16 hour shift? I don't think they schedule appointments at that time.

I don't know about 6 months free service, but a credit equal to the money lost for missing a day of work, and also the day he will have to miss to reschedule later would be nice. He won't get that, but $15 a month isn't enough either.

in the end, it is unacceptable if the installer is either late or doesn't show up for ANY reason no matter what it may be (busy, didn't have proper equipment, difficult install at other locations, drunk off their ass, laziness).

the reason they aren't there is NOT my problem. The only thing that matters to me is that I wasted an entire day waiting for something I already paid for and still don't have it. The arrogance of the install companies blows my mind. I would never miss a client meeting. Do you know why? because if I did they wouldn't be my client anymore.

#21 ·
hilmar2k said:
I would never schedule an install for a holiday or weekend. A service call...maybe. But a generous tip would be in order.
Last year, Christmas eve, I had 2 upgrades and a service call. Not 1 tip.
It seems like the jobs that really warrent gratuity never pay off. And when I do see a gratuity, it was for something simple and easy, just that the customer was really pleased that I solved their problem.

A smart supervisor once told me, "If you linger around long enough, eventually your customer will pay you to leave." :lol:

#22 ·
amorse2183 said:
you don't call McDonalds days ahead of time and tell them you want a specific order and have them give you a time frame to pick it up, or deliver it to you. In South Korea, McDonalds does deliver, but not in USA.

I've commented on a few threads like this in my time on here. Again, I do have sympathy for the installer as they are overworked. But they are being paid. The OP had to take a day off work and that's unfortunate. Some people work every day. What if he worked a 12 or 16 hour shift? I don't think they schedule appointments at that time.

I don't know about 6 months free service, but a credit equal to the money lost for missing a day of work, and also the day he will have to miss to reschedule later would be nice. He won't get that, but $15 a month isn't enough either.

in the end, it is unacceptable if the installer is either late or doesn't show up for ANY reason no matter what it may be (busy, didn't have proper equipment, difficult install at other locations, drunk off their ass, laziness).

the reason they aren't there is NOT my problem. The only thing that matters to me is that I wasted an entire day waiting for something I already paid for and still don't have it. The arrogance of the install companies blows my mind. I would never miss a client meeting. Do you know why? because if I did they wouldn't be my client anymore.
And you have that option if/when a service appointment is missed by DIRECTV.

Expecting DIRECTV to reimburse you for wages lost due to missed work is ludicrous.

#23 ·
hilmar2k said:
And you have that option if/when a service appointment is missed by DIRECTV.

Expecting DIRECTV to reimburse you for wages lost due to missed work is ludicrous.
The ludicrous thing is that they are unable to be on time for an appointment, especially when the OP spoke to them that day and wasn't told about the lack of proper equipment until it was after the appointment window.

#24 ·
If technicians only had 2 installs all day, in the same town, in new construction houses.. then sure, there's no reason for them to run behind.
If you want to start discussing 16hour days, I can relate. Except back then, I wasn't payed by the hour. And I sure wasn't payed for driving time. But nevertheless, I drove as many as 6 hours per day from one nighthmare job to another with as many as 8 appointments in 3 4hr timeframes.
Running late is unfortunate for everyone involved. If the ech doesn't complete the job, then he doesn't get payed either. Maybe D* should pay the tech for the lost income on the job because they didn't send his HSP enough equipment. :rolleyes:

#26 ·
ndole_mbnd said:
If technicians only had 2 installs all day, in the same town, in new construction houses.. then sure, there's no reason for them to run behind.
If you want to start discussing 16hour days, I can relate. Except back then, I wasn't payed by the hour. And I sure wasn't payed for driving time. But nevertheless, I drove as many as 6 hours per day from one nighthmare job to another with as many as 8 appointments in 3 4hr timeframes.
Running late is unfortunate for everyone involved. If the ech doesn't complete the job, then he doesn't get payed either. Maybe D* should pay the tech for the lost income on the job because they didn't send his HSP enough equipment. :rolleyes:
it wouldn't be a bad idea. But again, I have to ask how any of that is the OP's problem as a customer? He still paid for service, scheduled an appointment to have the service installed, waited all day for the installer to show up, and still has NO service, and can't get the service until he reschedules for another day. I'm sorry you have to drive and work in stressful conditions, but in the end the only thing that is important is that the guy still doesn't have the service he paid for.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.