1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Recycling cords and cables?

Discussion in 'Tech Talk - Gadgets, Gizmos and Technology' started by wilbur_the_goose, Jun 30, 2012.

1. wilbur_the_goose

wilbur_the_goose Hall Of Fame

Aug 16, 2006
    I have years of cables and cords accumulated. Is there anything I can do to recycle them?

I got to thinking about this when I had my old 250 lb. TV picked up by one of those junk companies. The guy cut the cord off the TV and was planning to sell the copper inside.

2. dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    I believe Best Buy will take them.

3. billsharpe

billsharpe Hall Of Fame

Jan 25, 2007
    Southern...
    I have a bunch of these cords, cables, and connectors in a big box in my attic. I hate to get rid of them as I find I need something from the stack about every six months. Most recently it was a telephone cord to replace one that had gone bad.

I also have my Vic-20 computer stored in the attic.

4. spartanstew

spartanstew Dry as a bone

Nov 16, 2005
    Wylie, Texas
    Yep, I've got a big box in one of our closets. Lots of stuff I'm sure I'll never need, but you never know when you might need an old printer cable or power adapter for a no longer made product.

5. dennisj00

dennisj00 Hall Of Fame

Sep 27, 2007
    Lake Norman, NC
    I have a theory that every time I throw something away (or recycle), I'll need it in two weeks.

While our recycle bin is always overflowing (and picked up every two weeks) as opposed to our garbage can is less than half full (and picked up weekly), I have lots of cables / connectors / drives / routers / switches / you name it, squirreled away.

But Goodwill does take electronics around here for recycling. They get a delivery from us every few months.

6. The Merg

The Merg 1*

Jun 24, 2007
    Northern VA
    I think mine is still in my parent's basement.

- Merg