1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

Red Button Reset

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by usnret, Jul 21, 2013.

1. usnret

usnret Icon

Jan 16, 2009
    My 17 month old HR34 just froze in the to do list. Couldn't even turn it off on the front of the receiver, so I did
    a RBR and after a couple of pink screens it came back to life. Now I have to wait a day or two for the guide to
    repopulate. While I was waiting for it to restart I wondered if it would be better to unplug it then plug it back in.
    Would I still loose the guide data by unplugging it and then pugging it right back in??
    Tks

2. jimmie57

jimmie57 Hall Of Fame

Jun 26, 2010
    Texas City, TX
    Yes, unplugging does basically the same as the RBR, maybe a little bit more sometimes.
    If you do the RBR or unplug twice in a 30 minute period it will lose ever single entry in the guide and have to rebuild from scratch and takes 2 days or more sometimes to complete. Sometimes this fixes guide data being wrong problems.

3. RunnerFL

RunnerFL DIRECTV A-Team

Jan 4, 2006
    You lose the guide data after a single RBR if the guide data is corrupt. If the guide data were ok a single RBR wouldn't dump it. It normally takes 2 reboots within 30 mins to dump the guide data.

Sounds like you had some corrupt data that caused the lockup and that corrupt data got dumped when you RBR'd.

4. usnret

usnret Icon

Jan 16, 2009
    Tks for the info...

5. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    From HW and SW points of view restart, RBR and cold reboot (cycle power off/of) are different by nature and human's design and intention.

Easy to say, cold reboot is about to bring a device to what non-volatile values dictates (say jumpers and/or pullup/pulldown pins, NVRAM settings, later, during SW bootloader time);
    RBR or same RST signal sent by application (difference between the two is SW could do some actions, like flush sectors from a RAM cash to a drive) usually not going into reset each bit/flag in peripheral chips and CPU itself (actually, it's a bunch of separate parts combined on one die).

6. CCarncross

CCarncross Hall Of Fame

Jul 19, 2005
    Jackson
    There are basically 3 ways to restart your receiver:

1)Thru the menu system
    2) IF your unit is not responding to remote commands, use red button reset
    3) If that method fails, pull the plug

pulling the plug should be used as a last resort. If you want to pull the plug to kill the power to it, use methods 1 or 2 above and when all the lights go out when it is beginning its reboot cycle, then pull the plug. Its always the safest way.

7. jimmie57

jimmie57 Hall Of Fame

Jun 26, 2010
    Texas City, TX
    I am aware of the software restart and prefer it any time it can be used.
    In this case the TS machine was frozen and had no choice except to RBR or unplug and re-plug.