1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

RED X on 103EVEN All receivers

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Installation/MDU Discussion' started by TBlazer07, May 11, 2011.

1. TBlazer07

TBlazer07 Grumpy Grampy

Feb 5, 2009
    Getting a RED X on all 5 receivers on 103 EVEN 18V. Everything seems to be working perfectly fine and all signals are 88-95+ (103 A&B are all high 88-92).

Any ideas?

3LNB SWiM-16 DECA

2. peds48

peds48 Genius. DBSTalk Club

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    a red X means that the signals from that orbitals slot is below the DTV standard for the installers to activate receivers. if your siganls are as you posted (88-92) I would not worry about it

3. TBlazer07

TBlazer07 Grumpy Grampy

Feb 5, 2009
    Yea, I knew that but signals were fine which is why I asked the question. :)

4. wallfishman

wallfishman Icon

Dec 31, 2008
    every areas different. in this area anything below 85 will get a red x. in your area it may be 90. look at all 103 evens again. u sure one of the even transponder isnt 85 or below. if not i wouldnt sweat it.

5. joe diamond

joe diamond Hall Of Fame

Feb 28, 2007
    The question I would have is ...Do those red Xs come and go? As reception conditions change do more Xs pop up? At what point do they go away?

After all, you still get picture down to about forty and the installation minimum used to be 70. From what I read about the new IV (Installation Verification) it can cost the installer real time if the weather changes during the installation.

Wondering how it works.

Joe

6. wallfishman

wallfishman Icon

Dec 31, 2008
    it works like a monkey trying to F@#K a football. its all guessing without being there. i had 0s on every othere transponder on a job yesterday caused by a carpet tack stuck right into a cable.

7. TBlazer07

TBlazer07 Grumpy Grampy

Feb 5, 2009
    Mine have been superglued on the screen through rain and shine. If they appear at 85 well, then, I do have a couple 84's but mosly all 90's. I'll just ignore it for now.

8. joe diamond

joe diamond Hall Of Fame

Feb 28, 2007
    See,

That part is understandable....the IRD sends voltage out on the center cable line. Converted signal goes back on the armor sheath. Staples and nails are the primary cause of this condition. A carpet tack will do it.

Without insulting you...let me state that the folks who could have picked that up real quick will not work for the HSPs.

VOS...thanks..I was nice...right?

Joe

9. veryoldschool

veryoldschool Lifetime Achiever Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Dec 9, 2006
    !rolling
    Yes, and to add most that would pick this up "real quick", aren't going to work for "installer's wages" either.
    My hat is off to those trying to do a good job with what they're being paid.
    There is a big difference between an "installer" and a Technician.

10. wallfishman

wallfishman Icon

Dec 31, 2008
    haha really them tacks can do that ?

11. joe diamond

joe diamond Hall Of Fame

Feb 28, 2007
    Yup,

And they will give a grainy picture. Staples, carpet tacks, rat bites, really sharp bends, electrical staples that are banged in far enough will possibly screw up things.

Poorly cut fittings especially with wire particles in the fitting will also do goofey things.

I never liked the number format for the transponders anyhow. A bar graph would be more instructive.

Joe

12. wallfishman

wallfishman Icon

Dec 31, 2008
    Joe Ive been a technician since 1987 contracting for every cable co there is thanks for reteaching me what a carpet tack can do to the properties of cable, things i learned say uh 20 something years ago. i was messin with you but i guess it went over your head. thanks for playin

13. joe diamond

joe diamond Hall Of Fame

Feb 28, 2007
    Ya never know who you are dealin with here. But the way things are the chances of running into someone with two weeks experience after a one day ride around are pretty good.

I was constructive in my comments, was I not? I remember 1987....I was doing something else when a pal suggested some CATV work. I still have the scars.

I am fading from this scene. The last Directv installations I did were a year or two ago. I am just not going to continue using the courts to get paid. I read around for tech advice for the few jobs I do for friends and family.

And I ring the bell that the installation "industry" sucks!

Joe

14. liquidctv

liquidctv Legend

Oct 13, 2010
    >haha really them tacks can do that ?

Funny, "every other" transponder is usually a cable splitter, or switching problem.

Also, I doubt an 88 is a problem in New Jersey.

15. joe diamond

joe diamond Hall Of Fame

Feb 28, 2007
    The hidden splitter is something the new guys are cut loose to discover because they are pretty rare these days...as is interior wire in series.

The most common wire fix is screw-on fittings in the wall boxes. Some work and some do not. I just replace them all and charged $12.00 / box to cut the correct fitting.

LNBs and multiswitches do fail. They are easiest to trouble shoot. Sometimes they are not the problem.

Joe