1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

Reduced Reception in Winter

Discussion in 'Local Reception' started by jsk, Jan 21, 2013.

1. jsk

jsk Icon

Dec 27, 2006
    Why is OTA reception worse in the wintertime? In the summer, I can get channels from Fairfax, VA ((WNVC) & Philidelphia, PA (WPVI & WPHL) intermittently, but in the winter, it is rare for me to get these channels.

I was always told that reception should be better in the fall & winter because of no leaves on the trees, which makes sense to me.

2. Davenlr

Davenlr Geek til I die

Sep 16, 2006
    The signals bounce off a temperature inversion in the atmosphere in the spring and fall. In the summer and winter, those inversions are rarely present.

You can monitor where they are at: http://aprs.mountainlake.k12.mn.us/

3. tsmacro

tsmacro Hall Of Fame

Apr 28, 2005
    East...
    I actually get better reception in the winter, the colder it gets the higher my signal levels get. That's why I do scans for channels when we have really cold weather, kinda like now actually, just to see what shows up.

4. AntAltMike

AntAltMike Hall Of Fame

Nov 20, 2004
    College...
    I'm in the master antenna system service business in the Washington, DC metropolitan area. I recently got a call from a 260 unit condominium where I maintain a basic, six channel headend that uses residential grade tuners as sources for the development of six analog channels. They reported to me that channel 4 (WRC 4.1) was out, and I was surprised to see that the tuner had somehow found and indexed Philadelphia WACP 4.1 and 4.2, which forced that receiver to index WRC to channels 48.3 and 48.4. Strange, because WACP is 135 miles away. No resident claims to have ever actually seen that programming. The receiver got enough signal to identify the channel but not enough to deliver the program. I cleared it by simply rescanning.

Back in the late 1970s, I used to get TV signals from a thousand miles away for a night or two or June, and I got all 6 VHF channels from New York City, about 250 miles away, but that was back when only the largest market TV stations broadcast for 24 hours a day, so there was less co-channel interference on those late nights. I don't know what kind of "skip" performance people have been getting with digital signals.