1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

RedZone picture-framed

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Programming' started by ProfLonghair, Nov 9, 2009.

1. Nov 9, 2009 #1 of 21
    ProfLonghair

ProfLonghair Hall Of Fame

Sep 26, 2006
    CMH
    On our LCD tv, the RedZone channel appears picture-framed: That is, it is apparently broadcast in 4:3, with letterboxing. So, with the TV set to "Black Bars" for sidebars, it has big black bars picture framing it. I've tried every setting I could, and nothing solved it.

I'm near certain it's not jsut me, because I watched it on SuperFan, and get the same effect, while games themselves are not, they are just broadcast in regular 16:9.

Any solutions to this? Zoom and things like that are impractical, as I flip back and forth and would have to change resolutions all the time.

2. Nov 9, 2009 #2 of 21
    Doug Brott

Doug Brott Lifetime Achiever DBSTalk Club

Jul 12, 2006
    Los Angeles
    I watched the RZ channel yesterday and it was definitely HD 16:9 .. no question.

Are you sure you were on the HD version of the channel and not the SD version? The SD version may have very well been framed into 4:3.

3. Nov 9, 2009 #3 of 21
    Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet The Shadow Knows!

Jun 18, 2006
    I think there are two Red Zone channels, an HD and an SD one. I don't have Sunday Ticket so someone out there can correct me if necessary.

4. Nov 9, 2009 #4 of 21
    tcusta00

tcusta00 Active Member

Dec 31, 2007
    I watched yesterday without an issue. Make sure you're on 703-1, not 703. Go into your guide and show all channels.

5. Nov 9, 2009 #5 of 21
    mortimer

mortimer Legend

Nov 5, 2007
    You must've been watching the SD channel, which is broadcast in 16x9. The SD channel shows up as letterboxed on my SD television, so it would make sense that it would be picture-framed on a 16x9 set.

6. Nov 9, 2009 #6 of 21
    bonscott87

bonscott87 Cutting Edge: ECHELON '07

Jan 21, 2003
    Yep, there is a full HD version on 703-1 (just like last year). Same for the Mix channel, 702-1.

I personally set up an "NFL" favorite list each Sunday that includes my CBS and Fox locals along with the HD version of the games only. That way my guide is only football and only HD games.

7. ProfLonghair

ProfLonghair Hall Of Fame

Sep 26, 2006
    CMH
    OMFG, I'm an idiot. This is about the only channel I enter manually, and I've been forgetting the -1. My bad.

Still, what about via SuperCast (as I try to salvage a shred of dignity)

8. khalpin

khalpin Cool Member

Aug 29, 2007
    That's a great idea. Thanks for the tip.

9. ccsoftball7

ccsoftball7 Godfather

Apr 2, 2003
    Agreed...that IS a great idea.

10. bonscott87

Jan 21, 2003
    No problem. Hope you find ST more enjoyable.

My Sunday morning ritual is this:

Print out Sunday Ticket schedule (either email from DirecTV or from the one posted in this forum).

Make note of which games are on my locals.

Write down my fantasy players.

Go to my DirecTV receiver and edit 2 favorite lists I have: "NFL Early" and "NFL Late". I normally just use Channels I Get so I have 2 open but if you only have one list open then do both.

For each list I'll setup only which local(s) have a game, Mix channel, RZC and which games in the 700s not on my locals.
    Same for the Late list, just those games and locals that are late games.

Also go to 701 and set up my fantasy players.

When pre-game comes on at noon then I just hit the yellow button and change the favorite list to NFL Early. Now using the Blue button (BEST way to surf the games) or the regular guide the only channels are games. Period.

When late game begin change the list to the Late game list.

I find this really makes my life simple and ST more enjoyable. Plus I won't tune to a ST channel that's blacked out by accident so even a better bonus.

11. shedberg

shedberg Icon

Jan 20, 2007
    I thought if you enter a channel number it automatically goes to the HD version 1st. Am I missing something???

12. GutBomb

GutBomb Godfather

Jun 17, 2004
    Only for the regular HD channels that use the same channel number. If the HD is a subchannel you have to explicitly state that you want the subchannel by adding the -1.

13. hbkbiggestfan

hbkbiggestfan Godfather

May 24, 2007
    So why does Redzone HD have to be a subchannel? It's just an HD mirror of the standard RZC. Same with NFL Gamemix and the rest of the NFL Sunday Ticket.

What makes one a channel mirror and another a subchannel anyway?

14. n3ntj

n3ntj Hall Of Fame

Dec 18, 2006
    Lancaster,...
    Do you only get Red Zone if you sub to Sunday Ticket?

15. Jeremy W

Jeremy W Hall Of Fame

Jun 19, 2006
    I suspect it's done just for consistency with the way they do the games. The games have to be done as subchannels because even if you have HD and NFLST, you don't necessarily have Superfan and therefore access to the HD versions on the games. So if you were an HD NFLST subscriber without Superfan, and DirecTV did the numbering the way they do with regular channels, you'd only see the HD version that you don't subscribe to.

16. bonscott87

Jan 21, 2003
    This is correct. Most people have "hide SD duplicates" turned on and this would then hide all the SD Sunday Ticket channels and if someone didn't have Superfan then they couldn't tune to the games unless they turned the hide SD duplicates off. Basically would cause a bunch of support calls.

17. tcusta00

tcusta00 Active Member

Dec 31, 2007
    Hide SD Duplicates does not hide the SD NFLST channels... at least on my receivers.

18. bonscott87

Jan 21, 2003
    Same here. I believe it's due to the -1 subchannels. Can't hide the main channel without also hiding the subchannel. So the Hide SD function ignores channels that also have a -1 subchannel. At least this is how Satracer explained it a couple years ago when they did the -1 thing. The HD channels used to be separate channel numbers the first year with Superfan. But the following year was this hide SD function and they went with the -1 thing.

19. tonyd79

tonyd79 Hall Of Fame

Jul 24, 2006
    Columbia, MD
    Exactly. That is why they are -1 channels rather than the same number. They were going to do the duplicate channel number thing then realized that the Hide SD duplicates would hide channels from folks who need to see them (those who did not have Superfan but did have the Ticket).

This was what SatRacer explained to me last year.

20. TheRatPatrol

TheRatPatrol Hall Of Fame

Oct 1, 2003
    Phoenix, AZ
    But isn't hide SD duplicates for the guide only? Aren't the HD DVRs set up so that when you tune to a channel that has an HD channel, that it automatically goes to the HD channel? I would think that the receiver would be smart to know that if someone doesn't have Superfan that it would automatically go to the SD channel. Maybe not.

But, you would think that someone with an HD setup would have the HD games though (Superfan).

But I do understand what you're saying.