1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Reelz channel no longer in HD? But now it is HD.

Discussion in 'DISH™ High Definition Discussion' started by eric032706, Jun 29, 2012.

1. eric032706

eric032706 Cool Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Is it just my imagination that Reelz channel 299 was in HD, or has it always been in SD ? It was in my favorites list one day, then gone today. When I looked for it in the channel list, it was only listed as being available in SD.

2. phrelin

phrelin Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Jan 18, 2007
    Northern...
    Actually you are correct. This is routine apparent per Reelz contract with Dish
    Oh, and :welcome_s

3. eric032706

eric032706 Cool Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Thank you for the quick response and the welcome. I've been reading these posts for years, but first time posting. Seems like Dish is always changing something.

4. dmspen

dmspen Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Dec 1, 2006
    Los Gatos,...
    It sux cuz I wanted to watch XIII in HD! Ah well.

5. Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon Roving Reporter Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Jan 7, 2005
    Kittrell, NC
    Yeah... it's weird. ReelzHD has come and gone at least 3 times now... for a limited run each time. I'm not sure why they don't just sign on full time.

I don't watch the channel, though I did DVR the Kennedys mini-series that first time we got ReelzHD.

6. StringFellow

StringFellow AllStar

Jan 5, 2012
    This is frustrating! Shouldn't the plan be to migrate channels from SD to HD and not the other way around? I can understand an SD channel that has always been an SD channel migrating to HD. But to have an HD channel change BACK to SD is frustrating. :mad:

7. garys

garys Hall Of Fame

Nov 4, 2005
    I believe Reelz has done this two or three times now. Each time they add the HD version, it is usually limited for a program they are presenting. Once that program's run is over, the HD version disappears as well. First one was the documentary on the Kennedy's, not sure what this one was.

8. mike1977

mike1977 Legend

Aug 26, 2005
    I agree. It's 2012...HD should be the norm now without adding an extra fee. It now should cost an extra fee to access the legacy SD feeds. :lol:

9. nmetro

nmetro Godfather

Jul 11, 2006
    Too bad Disney does not think that way. ESPN News, Disney, Disney XD were once shown in HD. DISH was forced to take those echannels down, because Disney wanted addition carriage fees for these channels, plus ESPNU and ESPN Classic HD variants.

10. FarmerBob

FarmerBob Godfather

Nov 27, 2002
    I thought I was seeing things too. I could have sworn the many times I skimmed past it and never watched. Now I want to watch something it's SD, and it's not even good SD. Is this a "red headed stepchild" channel?

11. StringFellow

StringFellow AllStar

Jan 5, 2012
    Totally agree! Never watched Reelz until XIII was advertised and it was HD when I setup the timer. Recording was in SD and noticed the channel is now SD.

12. kucharsk

kucharsk Godfather

Sep 19, 2006
    DISH carried Reelz in HD each of the first two times they ran The Kennedys mini-series.

I'm not sure why it returned the last time, but apparently it wasn't permanent.

Reelz is uplinked in HD, so it's DISH deciding to drop the HD feed whenever they feel like it.

13. garys

garys Hall Of Fame

Nov 4, 2005
    I may well be, but it could also be REELZ who decided to discontinue the HD feed. If Dish is trying to negotiate a contract, this could explain why the feed is still uplinked. Since we haven't seen any releases from either side on this, it is hard to know for sure.

14. Paul Secic

Paul Secic Hall Of Fame

Dec 16, 2003
    I never watch Reelz. It's their fault.

15. kucharsk

kucharsk Godfather

Sep 19, 2006
    The irony being that Reelz has been doing a The Kennedys marathon all day today. :D

16. eric032706

eric032706 Cool Member

Oct 3, 2009
    It's back in HD again. For how long, who knows?

17. James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    Yep ... the flip flop channel.

On the down side, Smithsonian HD was removed from testing. :(

18. StringFellow

StringFellow AllStar

Jan 5, 2012
    How do timers work with the channels switching back and forth between SD and HD? Since the channel numbers are the same, how should I handle my timers?

19. James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    It depends on the receiver so I suggest you check your timers often if you expect your programming to record.

20. n0qcu

n0qcu Legend/Supporter DBSTalk Gold Club

Mar 23, 2002
    The best choice in this instance is to use a DISHPass/Seek & Record time with HD preference that way it should use the HD feed when available and the SD feed when HD isn't available. However you may end up having to skip unwanted shows if the title can match more than the desired show.