1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Refer A Friend Offer - be careful

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by n3ntj, Feb 12, 2011.

1. n3ntj

n3ntj Hall Of Fame

Dec 18, 2006
    Lancaster,...
    Apparently, when you refer a friend under the D* "Refer A Friend" program, if that friend doesn't fulfill their contract, you could be liable for the unpaid money..

http://www.news4jax.com/news/26836698/detail.html?source=jax

2. dsw2112

dsw2112 Always Searching

Jun 12, 2009
    As there usually is with any story; there's probably more to this one... Referring a friend is not the equivalent of co-signing a loan -- this is obviously not a D* policy.

3. INfield420

INfield420 AllStar

Mar 10, 2009
    Must have used her card when ordering the service or making a payment.....

4. sigma1914

sigma1914 Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

Sep 5, 2006
    Allen, TX
    Apparently, you failed to read the article if that's your conclusion. :nono2: You're NOT liable for unpaid money.
    It was a bad mistake, without question, but it was rectified.

5. tcusta00

tcusta00 Active Member

Dec 31, 2007
    Wow, what a misleading article. I'm SURE there's more to this story. And I'm shocked anyone would create a thread with that equally-misleading lead-in.

6. TBlazer07

TBlazer07 Grumpy Grampy

Feb 5, 2009
    I thought they let you out of your contract if you dropped dead? Wait, you need to send them some ashes first then after the DNA test they let you out. :lol:

So you think Mike White actually called her? Article seems to say that. I guess after the settlement and the "Undercover Boss" airing maybe he is adding a personal touch. :D

7. Drucifer

Drucifer Well-Known Member

Feb 12, 2009
    NY Hudson...
    This wasn't an automatic thing. It had to human generated. For the mud on DirecTV face, I do think that someone should see some pink in their next paycheck.

8. The Merg

The Merg 1*

Jun 24, 2007
    Northern VA
    There definitely has to be more to this. Even when you do the friend referral, there is no link between the referred and referrer's accounts.

- Merg

9. oldengineer

oldengineer Godfather

May 25, 2008
    I have several online bank, credit card and financial accounts. I pay all of my bills online. I have several direct deposits a month transferred to my accounts. I have never had a problem with any of these transactions.

OTOH I have had several problems with charges being added or missed, equpiment not being accounted for properly, and false contract extensions with Directv. I love their technology but their customer service sucks. There is no reason, for example that a customers commit date could not be added to their online account, or that an error in the commit date should take over a month to fix. If D* would spend a little less money on their massive ad budget they could fix their other problems easily.

Again I love D* for their technology but this is just another example of their poor handling of existing customers. To all of the D* apologists, and I see many on this group, who want to tell me that "If I don't like it, quit", have a nice day

10. dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    I'm glad they are fixing the situation, but they do need to take a serious look into how this happened. It shouldn't be possible for someone at DirecTV to even manually do this by mistake. And it certainly shouldn't have taken the media to resolve.

11. tcusta00

tcusta00 Active Member

Dec 31, 2007
    The friend who referred must have given her credit card to help the new customer out and get her $100 credit - and she never thought through the ramifications of this, including the fact that she should have notified DIRECTV when her friend died so that the charges didn't keep coming out. DIRECTV, I'm sure, doesn't link their customer database with the Social Security master death database to receive notifications when a customer dies. The onus is on the heirs to cancel the service.

Again, we're missing part of the story here. The article is nothing more than sensational news to paint the giant corporation as big, bad and mean for taking advantage of the poor lady mourning the death of her friend she was kind enough to refer. I call BS all over this story. Again, shame on anyone for actually thinking they got the whole story here.

12. RobertE

RobertE New Member

Jun 9, 2006
    Agreed. Just waiting on Swanni to re-spin this now. :rolleyes:

13. BKC

BKC Icon

Dec 12, 2007
    I sent her Mike's email address. :lol:

14. johns70

johns70 Legend

May 2, 2010
    Pretty funny someone actually believed this enough to create a thread to warn us about it.

I referred a friend to a realtor. OMG !! I have to pay his mortgage if he can't !!
    :eek:

15. Genner

Genner New Member

Nov 16, 2010
    I don't even think it's simple to look up the information once the credits have been added. This problem probably has something to do with the customer's card - somehow - being the primary card on file of the deceased friend. Glad to hear it got straightened out.

16. MattScahum

MattScahum Legend

Oct 26, 2010
    I see this happen alot in new customer sales as I get the phone calls about this happening by mistake. It isn't limited to referral customers as alot of my customers that call sales by mistake were charged on a card for a ecf/equipment fee/etc when they don't even have our service. I ask if they at any time allowed someone to use their debit/credit card to set up a 1 time payment for an installation of a new account. The answer is ALWAYS yes. It is in the disclosures that the card we use is kept on file in case of ECF/Equipment non return fees that need to be paid. This is why we CANNOT knowlingly process another persons card without them being either the account holder, the spouse of the account holder(that does go for domestic partnerships as well), or a joint account holder(my mother and I still have a joint account from when I was 18 and that is perfectly fine). People do alot of that stuff on there own so this doesn't shock me. I do agree though that the whole story seems to be missing part of it

17. Barcthespark

Barcthespark Godfather

Dec 16, 2007
    D* drains the bank account, but it can't possibly be their fault (even though they acknowledged that THEY made the error). Instead the blame goes to 1) the friend for somehow linking her credit card to her friends account, 2) the friend for not notifying D* that her friend died, 3) the heirs because their first thought was not "I better call D*", 4) the media for reporting it, and 5) anyone who believes the story.

Pathetic! And yet so typical for this forum. :nono2:

18. tcusta00

tcusta00 Active Member

Dec 31, 2007
    Yeah you're right, what was I thinking not taking a media outlet dependent on advertising and sensationalism at face value and questioning the veracity of a story I read in the news. Silly me. I'm just a pathetic DIRECTV apologist who never ever questions the holy blue. You got me pegged.

Oh wait. http://www.dbstalk.com/showthread.php?p=2711834#post2711834

Well there goes your argument. Crawl back under the bridge now please and stop making trouble. :nono2:

19. Barcthespark

Barcthespark Godfather

Dec 16, 2007
    I didn't say YOU were pathetic. I said your response was a typical pathetic response as seen on this forum so many times by many D* supporters. There is a difference.

And leave my bridge out of this. LOL

20. tcusta00

tcusta00 Active Member

Dec 31, 2007
    :confused: Yeah I got that. Nevertheless, I leave my response as is.

Anyway, sorry I replied. This thread is cooked. I love when these things turn into name calling tantrums instead of thought out discussions on what could have actually happened. Should have know this was just another rant against DIRECTV and I shouldn't have tried to inject reason, thought or facts into the discussion. My bad.