1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Reformatting an external hdd

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by Rage187, Mar 18, 2012.

1. Rage187

Rage187 Mentor

Oct 27, 2007
    Upgraded to a hr34 so I figured I would give our external 1TB HDD to the inlaws. I wanted to format it before I gave it to them but no computer recognizes it now. Not sure if it is because it was at one time a DVR expander or not.

Do I have to format it or will it be automagically reformatted when the new DVR sees it?

2. CCarncross

CCarncross Hall Of Fame

Jul 19, 2005
    Jackson
    It doesnt need to be formatted..you just hook it up and you can go in and delete all the recordings, perhaps it might n evebe best to do a reset everything after its up and running, that will clear the drive. Remember that connecting that drive replaces the internal drive, so all SL's and settings will need to be set back up. If you want to erase it on your Windows based pc you need to use disk management and delete the partitions, it uses the xfs linux file system so it won't be recognized by any Windows OS. But the disk should be recognized by computer and you can access the drive through disk management.

3. nsolot

nsolot AllStar

Nov 25, 2009
    I like to use the WD utility to test the drive, and burn it in. There is an option to write zeros to the entire drive which will zap everything including partition info.